• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pre war Motorcycle Clubs

RobertS

master brummie
Hello there

I'm looking for any information pre war motor cycle activity 1920's/30's. Trials, grasstrack, scrambles etc. especially on the South Side of Birmingham.

Tried Moseley and District but they are hazy about early records.

Thanks

why not type in search at top of page and see what comes up?
or look on Google. again type in what you want,, type in crusaders mcc my dad used to be a member of this trials scrambles club many moons ago.
regards dereklcg

Thanks for the reply dereklcg

great to hear about your dad and competions with the Crusaders.

As you may have noted the forum has some memories on activity, and the types of bikes members or their relatives owned. There are even some details on great names but virtually nothing on sporting clubs of the period or their competitions.

Anyone know of sources?

you can find such things,i had a quick look on google in my area worc,s and found right through to wales.
some times you can put to much or not enough info as the case maybe you,ll get there happy days regards dereklcg.

The Kings Norton Motorcycle Club formed in 1934, is still a thriving club.
Originally meeting at the Navigation Inn, Kings Norton in 1934, secretary was Wesley Smith.
Ron Godbehere [Ariel] winning the trial in that year ...........

I have pages and pages of events , trials, grass track meetings, TT entries, names dates etc, with a break during the war, contact me for further info.

I am a current member, and we meet every thursday night in Earlswood.

RobertS I was amember of the Mosely and District Club around 1946etc but cannot help you with much of the Prewar stuff.
Eck Hyland was one of the prewar members as was Jumbo Wright. I recall them coming along to the meetings as soon as they were demobbed . There lots of others but I do not recall all of the names Cheers Oldbrummie

Hello there

I'm looking for any information pre war motor cycle activity 1920's/30's. Trials, grasstrack, scrambles etc. especially on the South Side of Birmingham.

Tried Moseley and District but they are hazy about early records.

Thanks

One of the oldest clubs was the South Birmingham the HQ was in Greet. I have attached a picture of the Lands End event taken by my Grandfather.
Note : To see the picture click on the header. Lou Dalby.

Medel presented to John Dalby Ex BSA Test 1963.

[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/1418722057/in/set-72157602073893291/"]LANDS END 1919 on Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

Last edited:
Wonderful stuff. Thanks a lot Louis.

These are the early days! Do you know anything about the speed and hill climb trials somewhere by the Packhorse ten or so years before this?

Cheers

Wonderful stuff. Thanks a lot Louis.

These are the early days! Do you know anything about the speed and hill climb trials somewhere by the Packhorse ten or so years before this?

Cheers

If you mean the Packhorse in Hollywood no I don't, I lived near by and went to Silver Street School during the war, We are now going back to c1909 which was well before my Grandfather started riding which was 1918.

The Kings Norton Motorcycle Club formed in 1934, is still a thriving club.
Originally meeting at the Navigation Inn, Kings Norton in 1934, secretary was Wesley Smith.
Ron Godbehere [Ariel] winning the trial in that year ...........

I have pages and pages of events , trials, grass track meetings, TT entries, names dates etc, with a break during the war, contact me for further info.

I am a current member, and we meet every thursday night in Earlswood.

Hi, Have you any Speedway results after 1928 which show my father G Dalby, Beaulieu have no info after 1927 and my father rode till 1932. I have plenty on my Grandfather but little on my father not evan a photo. I spent many happy hours at the cafe on the cross roads and in the Red Loin Earlswood in the 50s.

Hi Lou Do you recall the hump on the canal bridge just up the road from the Red Lion Spent many an hout there jumping over that little hump bridge .........Plus the odd pint CheersOldBrummy

Hi Lou Do you recall the hump on the canal bridge just up the road from the Red Lion Spent many an hout there jumping over that little hump bridge .........Plus the odd pint CheersOldBrummy

Yes and the dash along the lakeside road with its little bend in the middle. I have added a picture of the cafe where we did our COURTING !!.
[ame="https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/2335093888/in/set-72157602073893291/"]Velocette 250cc MOV c1938 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2335093888_44d2dca802.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2335093888@@AMEPARAM@@44d2dca802[/ame]

Hi Lou
I could have sent you a pic of my couting spot but the camera did not work in the dark LOll Old Brummy P.S I will sort out a pic of the Red Lion and send to you privately

Back