• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Piddock street hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mike when time permits could i have a map please showing where 2/22 piddock street was..

thank you mike

lyn

An awkward one this , Lyn. I think, but am not 100% sure, that no 22 is the red building in the c 1889 map and the c 1903 map. No sign of an obvious back house, though the 1920 electoral roll does list a back 22.

map_c_1903_showing_probable_no_22_piddock_st.jpg

map_c_1889_showing__probable_no_22_piddock_st.jpg

thanks mike i see what you mean about no obvious signs of a back house...i have a rellie at 2/22 on the e rolls in 46.47 and 48 and i know she was there in 45 as states on a cert i have..interesting to see cattle pens marked out on the earlier map...

lyn

Mike & Lyn that little box adjoining the red coloured house could be one of your back houses. In fact could there have been a cartographers error and all the houses in that block were back to backs like most of the others shown in the area are. After all it's only one pencil line missing.

Very possible Phil, but the mistake seems to have been repeated in the 1903 map, and also in the 1918 map. However , looking at the c 1955 map below, there is a back house marked . so very likely your supposition is correct , or else the house was converted between the two maps

map_c_1955_piddock_st.jpg

Mike

Perhaps that's it then because it looks like they have also built another back to back in the opening in All Saints Rd

As you turned round the corner from Piddock Street just passed where Mike has marked in red and then onto All Saints Road the first entry lead into a small yard where the 'illegal bookies' house was. There was usually someone standing on the corner as a lookout.

Lynn I knew people who lived No 9 - Powell and No 19 Holder these would have been around 40/50/60s.

hi carol..i bet my rellie knew them then...what a small world..

Last edited:
Lynn Graham Powell lived at 9 Piddock Street and right at the side of his house was a Drs surgery. He was my eldest brothers best friend.

PIDDOCK..GOODE AND NURSERY ROAD 018.JPGPIDDOCK..GOODE AND NURSERY ROAD 027.JPGfew pics of piddock st...

the first is 2/22 where my rellie lived and is the one with the closed door and the second shows the front of no 22...the entrance to the back houses was via all saints street..

PIDDOCK..GOODE AND NURSERY ROAD 022.JPGPIDDOCK..GOODE AND NURSERY ROAD 028.JPG2 more...would love to know what the name of the pub is in pic 2..can only make out its an atkinsons house..

Lyn
In 1889 (see map) it was The Abbey Vaults (see map), though by 1955 it had dropped the "vaults" and was just The Abbey

map_c1889_top_piddock_st_showing_abbey_vaults.jpg

thank you mike...pretty sure ive got a pic of that pub

cheers

Last edited:
would have been mine if i lived there terry lol

mike carolina mentions a friend who lived at no 9...i think the odds on on the right hand side of that long shot pic so it the house maybe showing on it..

Lyn

The Abbey Vaults, Lodge Rd Hockley, known to the locals as the "Wrexham" I understand.

Attachments

• Hockley Lodge Rd  Abbey Vaults (Wrexham).jpg
    Hockley Lodge Rd Abbey Vaults (Wrexham).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 14
oh thats great mike thanks...could you also please mark out no 19 on that photo i think its just showing...

lyn

Back