• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Photos Worth Looking At

some of those pics are fantastic..ive waited a long time to see one taken from constitution hill looking up snow hill and its been well worth the wait...thats got to be the salutation pub on the left next to fields...thank you horsencart...

lyn

A good hour or so spent looking at these.....I cannot believe that so many of the slides were just thrown away! Thank goodness they were rescued for posterity (and for us all)!!
Any more of them?

You would need to ask geoff7918's he is the chap who posted them on Flickr

A good hour or so spent looking at these.....I cannot believe that so many of the slides were just thrown away! Thank goodness they were rescued for posterity (and for us all)!!
Any more of them?

Thanks. I was moved to tears by some as they bought back memories of shopping with my Mom & Dad.

Again, it begs the question, "Why did we let ourselves be conned into accepting the loss of so much that was good in the name of Corporate Wealth acquisition hiding under the disguise of progress ?"

Unfortunately Birmingham has for many years had a policy of not leaving thing alone we are now on our second Snow Hill Station Third New St Station Third Bull Ring ETC ETC ETC

Thanks. I was moved to tears by some as they bought back memories of shopping with my Mom & Dad.

Again, it begs the question, "Why did we let ourselves be conned into accepting the loss of so much that was good in the name of Corporate Wealth acquisition hiding under the disguise of progress ?"

Agreed, look what happened to the Garden of Remembrance next to the Hall of Memory,I wonder if some people now hang their head in shame.

I commiserate with those lamenting the disappearance of many lovely buildings in Birmingham. However, I am sure that this attitude by councils and developers is not unique to the City of Birmingham. Over my lifetime I have seen many small towns ruined by developments, cars and of course the "need to shop till you drop" syndrome no matter where the stores are located. Large swathes of countryside, some very beautiful, have become what I might call 'posh shanty towns'.

Unfortunately Birmingham has for many years had a policy of not leaving thing alone we are now on our second Snow Hill Station Third New St Station Third Bull Ring ETC ETC ETC

I guess I am fortunate in having only seen the originals. If the replacements (No.2's. except Snow Hil) were any good presumably there would not have been a need for a third. :friendly_wink:

At least Brum gets 2nd and 3rd tries, unlike Tamworth, whose historic buildings to a great extent were lost and not replaced!
Sue

Think the link posted by Horesncart in post#1 is worth flagging up again. If you've got a spare half-hour, have a browse. It won't disappoint. Viv.

Hi viv,
I have to entirely agree with you on suggesting Horse cart collections
I have just finished going through them they are remarkable and a superb collection of photographs
They have to be worth a good looking at and not to miss
And they have to be worth a few Bob to purchase
Brilliant horse cart, and many thanks for sharing them with us all
Best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,,,,

Back