• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Phipps,Mary Ann

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi everyone, I have started doing my family tree and although I've managed quite far back on my mom's dad's side, I have become stuck with mom's mom!!!
Her name was Mary Ann Phipps and she married Bernard Tidmarsh in February 1915. On her marriage certificate her age is given as 28.
Her father was Robert Elias Phipps (died 1914 Kings Norton aged 53)
Her mother was Sarah Jane Phipps (aged 39 on 1901 census)
She was married from the same address as Robert in Kings Norton.
On the 1901 census her age was given as 18, so is it possible she knocked a few years off her age when she married?
I've already found out that at least one of her sons (Albert Frederick) was born "out of wedlock" :rolleyes: and can'tfind my mom's other brother Percy, either!
I think my grandfather's side being quite trackable must have made me overconfident:)
I would like to know where they were in 1891.
I thought I'd found Robert in Walsall, but there was no mention of Sarah or Mary,so I must have got the wrong Robert Elias!
Sorry for the long post,but I've tried to include as much info as possible.
Has anyone got any suggestions,please?
Thanks

I found this, not sure if you have it? :
[SIZE=+1]Marriages Mar 1883 [/SIZE]
BIRCH Sarah Jane Walsall 6b852
PHIPPS Robert Elias Walsall 6b852

not quite sure if this is what you want

1891 alcester warwickshire

sarah j phipps 30 widow grocers asst
alfred m phipps 10
may (mary) phipps 8
harry phipps 4
lucy phipps 4
margaret phipps 1
benjamin phipps 1 mth

hope this is some help

chris

Thank you Pomgolian for your reply. I had found the marriage of Sarah and Robert and I have sent for the certificate to see if there is any further info on it.
Thank you also Christine.Your post has confused me more! I thought I'd found Robert, Sarah and Mary Ann at 39 Leamore Lane, Walsall, in 1901 census.
What has confused me is that there is another Phipps family,I think with a son Robert Elias and daughter Mary Ann! In addition to this, there is no-one left in my family who knew if my nan (Mary Ann) had any brothers and sisters.
I'm not going to tear my hair out over this, though.I shall wait and see what I can glean from the marriage certificate, then maybe a birth certificate.
In the meantime, I shall move over to the Shaw/Atkins branch of the family, about whom I know nearly nothing!!!!
Thanks again for your replies. I do appreciate all the help everyone on this site gives so freely

Hi Ladylinda,
I have just joined this forum, it's a new experience so please bear with me if I muck things up a bit!
My reasons for joining, I'm researching my fathers background as we, his three sons and three daughters knew so very little. His name was Cyril Tidmarsh, and he was born on Park Lane, Aston in 1921 and died in 1986, which is the reason I thought I'd post this to you. He was a very taciturn man who didn't revisit his roots much. I can possibly help you with the genealogy of the Tidmarsh's around Aston as I have a fair Family Tree constructed now, though you'll never find my father on the usual records as he changed his name to Nantais around 1946.

However, I have also discovered a lot through talking to people who knew him. His father was Henry Tidmarsh of Aston, born around 1881. His first wife died young. At the time they had a daughter Annie. Henry remarried(Caroline Willis) in 1913, and my father, plus two sisters Beatrice and Edna, were born in the early 1920's.

Now here is the crux of my search, What happened to his sisters, and what children did they have, as they would be our cousin's! I have reasons to think that Beatrice may be still alive, though I think Edna and Annie will have passed on. Were pretty sure there is a son of Beatrice called Leslie, but so far have failed to trace him. There are other questions, but suffice to say I would be extremely pleased if any descendant of the aforementioned Tidmarsh's, or anyone who knew them, would get in touch.

Many thanks for reading this.

Hello,

Henry Tidmarsh, son of John Tidmarsh, marries Elsie Ellen Allsop, daughter of John Allsop, on 31 Mar 1900 St Stephen's, Birmingham (familysearch)

Elsie Ellen Tidmarsh death recorded Mar qtr 1911 Aston, aged 33. (freebmd)

1911 census Henry is in the household of mother in Aston with Annie aged 5 and Harold aged 2 (children?) a sister ?, Lottie and mother listed as My, all listed as Tedmarsh.

There's a birth for an Annie Amelia Tidmarsh listed in Jun qtr 1906 Aston. (freebmd)

Marriage of an Annie A Tidmarsh to Alfred G Hood Mar qtr 1924 Aston. (freebmd)

Death for an Annie Amelia Hood of the right age in 1985 Birmingham. (findmypast)

Two Hood/Tidmarsh children - Ronald A Sep qtr 1925 & Doreen L Mar qtr 1931 both in Bham N. (freebmd)

Back