• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Hall the house

Hi my name is Tony Beasley, What a great photo of the paddle boats in Perry Hall park. I used to play on them with my friends back in about 1948-9. I lived in Carmodale Avenue until 1957, when the family moved to Great Barr. What lovely memories.
Another Dorrington road infant and junior school followed by Beeches road scholar ? Or were you at the comp.

Sorry Tony just seen your previous post from 2012 seems you already mentioned Dorrington road.

Perry Hall seems to have been a very complex building, something I hadn't appreciated until recently comparing these two pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413813749.971534.jpg

The top picture is c1790
The lower picture is 1840 - 1882

And this is the history of owners and known modifications:

John Molyneux owner in 1473
Substantially modified in 1546 by Sir William Stamford
Originally the hall apparently bore the date of 1576
Acquired by Sir Henry Gough 1669
Substantial modification in 1788
Modified in 1840s, including addition of the bridge
Estate sold by Gough's in 1923 and demolished around 1928

Looking at the two pictures above, between them they cover the period 1790 - 1880s. I can see there had been quite a lot of modification within that 100 years. But I now wonder what the Hall looked like pre-1788. Be good to see any drawings if they exist before the late 1700s. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Totally forgotten I'd posted in an earlier post a Thomas Bardwell painting of the hall c1720. Here are the three views for comparison. It really was a big place in the 1700s (or maybe it's just the painting perspective). I suppose the later changes were made to 'modernise' it. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413816589.841080.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i have got that pic of perry hall in a book...what a disgrace that this magnificent building was demolished...not surprised just dismayed...

lyn

I think that anyone who is proud of our city, or to be correct, proud of how our city used to be should be dismayed.

Strangely enough I saw this postcard on eBay the other day. Probably around the same period. I wondered if this was the lady of the hall. And feeding the ducks on the moat ! Viv.

image.jpeg

#1 Perry Hall - Entrance Terrace.
#1 Perry Hall - Entrance.jpg

#2 Perry Hall - Family Gathering.
#2 Perry Hall - Family Gathering.jpg

#3 Perry Hall - Family Gathering.
#3 Perry Hall - Family Gathering.jpg

#4 Perry Hall - Grounds.
#4 Perry Hall - Grounds.jpg

#5 Perry Hall - Lodge.
#5 Perry Hall - Lodge.jpg

#6 - Perry Hall - The Avenue.
#6 Perry Hall - The Avenue.jpg

#7 - Perry Hall - The Avenue.
#7 Perry Hall - The Avenue.jpg

#8 - Perry Hall - The Avenue.
#8 Perry Hall - The Avenue.jpg

#9 - Perry Hall - The Home Farm.
#9 Perry Hall - The Home Farm.jpg

#15 - Perry Hall
#15 - Perry Hall.jpg

#16 - Perry Hall
#16 - Perry Hall.jpg

#17 - Perry Hall
#17 - Perry Hall.jpg

#18 - Perry Hall
#18 - Perry Hall.jpg

#19 - Perry Hall
#19 - Perry Hall.jpg

I reproduce Stitcher's great picture in Post 81.

At the bottom it says that after Sir Somerset's death in 1912, the mansion was sold to Bm Corporation, and in 1928 it was demolished as they could not afford both Perry and Aston Halls.

Well there must be a story here!

In 1928 the Birmingham Common Good Trust, Chaired by George Cadbury, asked at a meeting to to put a deposit of £3,200, which was agreed, to purchase Perry Hall Estate inc the Mansion!
Perry Hall 001.jpg

I reproduce Stitcher's great picture in Post 81.

At the bottom it says that after Sir Somerset's death in 1912, the mansion was sold to Bm Corporation, and in 1928 it was demolished as they could not afford both Perry and Aston Halls.

Well there must be a story here!

In 1928 the Birmingham Common Good Trust, Chaired by George Cadbury, asked at a meeting to to put a deposit of £3,200, which was agreed, to purchase Perry Hall Estate inc the Mansion!
View attachment 122009

Wikipedia agree with the caption...."It was formerly the site of Perry Hall, demolished 1927, home of the Gough family, though only the hall's moat remains after the Birmingham Corporation had to choose between saving Perry Hall and the nearby Aston Hall for financial purposes."

I think the postcards labelled "The Avenue" would have taken you down to Perry Village.

My grandparents bought items from the Hall when the interior pieces were auctioned. They then put these through auctions at Christies. No idea what the items were though. Viv.

Sir Somerset Gough-Calthorpe died in 1912, but did Perry Hall lie empty, and when was it sold to Birmingham Corporation, before its demolition in 1928?

In 1914 Birmingham Corporation purchased some land surrounding Perry Reservior for public walks and pleasure grounds. But in 1920 there is the of a portion of the Perry Hall Estate....“Sale of Mansion and 500 acres of freehold land.... The Purchasers part of local [unamed] syndicate. The Hall is considered as one of the finest examples of Elizabethan architecture, and is in a perfect state of preservation.”

Later in 1921 there is another sale of a large portion of Lord Calthorpe’s Perry Barr Estate, including 783 acres and Hampstead Colliery. One report says “the purchaser is a wealthy landowner in the South of England. Lord Calthorpe has purchased an estate near Ascot, and will shortly take up his residence there. His only son is the well-known captain of Warks Cricket team.”

Now in February of 1928 the Birmingham Common Good Trust, chaired by George Cadbury, placed a deposit on behalf of Birmingham Council to purchase Perry Hall Estate. The Council were interested in the purchase of 100 acres of the Perry Hall Estate for playing fields and open spaces...the moat and the Hall seem to be part of the deal...”the accompanying map shows the site of the hall and the moat surrounding the former residence of the Calthorpe family are included in the proposed deal.

So it looks as if parts of the Estate were sold to an unnamed syndicate and a wealthy landowner about seven years before the Council took interest, and as soon as they acquired the Hall, in March 1928 it is put on sale for demolition.

I can’t as yet find any conflict between Aston Hall an Perry Hall, it looks like the decision to demolish may have been taken before purchase.

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that the decision to demolish was a matter of either Perry Hall or Aston Hall had to go. The reason being cost of upkeep of both. So Perry Hall lost out. Viv.

#20 - Perry Hall
#20 - Perry Hall.jpg

#21 - Perry Hall
#21 - Perry Hall.jpg

#22 - Perry Hall
#22 - Perry Hall.jpg

#23 - Perry Hall
#23 - Perry Hall.jpg

#24 - Perry Hall
#24 - Perry Hall.jpg

#25 - Perry Hall
#25 - Perry Hall.jpg

#26 - Perry Hall
#26 - Perry Hall.jpg

#27 - Perry Hall
#27 - Perry Hall.jpg

#28 - Perry Hall
#28 - Perry Hall.jpg

#29 - Perry Hall
#29 - Perry Hall.jpg

i maybe wrong but i dont think there was much difference in age in perry hall and aston hall and although i love aston hall if we go back to posts 89 and 97 and look at the idealic photos that two has posted given the choice i think i may have chosen to save perry hall but to be honest a choice of which to keep should never have been an option:( they never learn do they

lyn

On the Thread “Perry Village,” post 106, there is the clip concerning the Birmingham Extension Bill 1927.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/perry-village.45354/page-6#post-609617

It seems that in 1927 Perry Barr was not in Birmingham, and this Bill was argument between West Bromwich, Birmingham and Sutton as to how Perry Barr should be carved up. Now it also seems that as soon as Perry Barr was in Birmingham, and early in 1928, the Corporation purchased Perry Hall and surrounding land. As soon as it came into their possession it was sold for demolition.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can unearth any direct evidence of a choice between the Halls. I would expect if that was so there would be some sources of opposition and debate.

#30 - Perry Hall - The Moat.
#30 - Perry Hall - The Moat.jpg

#31 - Perry Hall - The Moat (2).
#31 - Perry Hall - The Moat (2).jpg

#32 - Perry Hall - View from the Moat.
#32 - Perry Hall from the Moat.jpg

#33 - Perry Hall.
#33 - Perry Hall.jpg

#34 - Perry Hall.
#34 - Perry Hall.jpg

#30 - Perry Hall - The Moat.
#30 - Perry Hall - The Moat.jpg

#31 - Perry Hall - The Moat (2).
#31 - Perry Hall - The Moat (2).jpg

#32 - Perry Hall - View from the Moat.
#32 - Perry Hall from the Moat.jpg

#33 - Perry Hall.
#33 - Perry Hall.jpg

#34 - Perry Hall.
#34 - Perry Hall.jpg

#35 - Perry Hall.
#35 - Perry Hall.jpg

#36 - Perry Hall.
#36 - Perry Hall.jpg

#37 - Perry Hall.
#37 - Perry Hall.jpg
#38 - Perry Hall.
#38 - Perry Hall.jpg

#39 - Perry Hall.
#39 - Perry Hall.jpg

Here is a letter to the Birmingham Gazette of 4th February 1928 concerning the purchase of a portion of the Perry Estate. It seems there had been a chance to purchase the whole estate in the previous year.

It also shows that there may have been a decision to demolish the Hall even before the purchase, and the writer is against it. There is no mention of Aston Hall.

496B65AB-52A6-4B83-8DE1-AFBDBCAC9AEF.jpeg

Just to add to the background info. Here's an August 1921 advert from the Lichfield Mercury for the auction of the 'estate', but this didn't include the Hall itself. Interesting that there are Hamstead Colliery coal royalties included. And at this time the estate fell within Birmingham, Perry Barr and Great Barr. Viv.

image.jpeg

Just to add to the background info. Here's an August 1921 advert from the Lichfield Mercury for the auction of the 'estate', but this didn't include the Hall itself. Interesting that there are Hamstead Colliery coal royalties included. And at this time the estate fell within Birmingham, Perry Barr and Great Barr. Viv.

View attachment 122102

This seems to be the advert for the sale of the second portion of the Estate in 1921. The first part was sold in 1920 to a syndicate (unnamed) and included the Hall.

The 1921 portion was sold to “a wealthy land owner from the South of England.” This would tie in with the letter above to the Gazette questioning the business sense of the Council, when they had a chance to buy the whole estate from a private source around 1927.

It is interesting that the advert mentions the “Extremely Valuable Coal Royalties” arising from the well-known Hamstead Colliery. Royalties are causing increasing bitterness in the coal industry, and it seemed that it was only a matter of time before they would be “nationalised.” I think they would last out to around 1938?

Back