• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Hall the house

#40 - Perry Hall
#40 - Perry Hall.jpg

#41 - Perry Hall
#41 - Perry Hall.jpg

#42 - Perry Hall
#42 - Perry Hall.jpg

#43 - Perry Hall
#43 - Perry Hall.jpg

#44 - Perry Hall
#44 - Perry Hall.jpg

again great photos two....now living a stones throw from where the hall was what a delight it would have been for me to have this great building on my doorstep and now it has gone for ever and the great tragedy is it was not in disrepair...falling down or derelict...:(

This picture is from the March of 1914 and shows Lord Calthorpe, the Master, F Foster and W Fowler. Stitcher’s picture caption suggest that after the death of Sir Somerset Gough-Calthorpe in 1912 the Hall was left empty, and it seems it was still used in 1914.

785FEBBB-69AA-4DC8-B89F-69E1EF68D092.jpeg

Somerset John Gough-Calthorpe was the 7th Baron Calthorpe and he had inherited the title on the death of his brother Augustus in 1910. He was succeeded by Somerset Fredrick Gough-Calthorpe who died in 1940.

So at the time of the sale of Perry Hall in 1920 it was Somerset Fred (8th Baron) who was in charge. He had succeeded to the Perry Hall Estate at Somerset John’s death in 1912 and also to the Woodlands Vale Estate near Ryde. The Edgbaston Estates of the Calthorpes did not go with the title when the 6th Baron died in 1910.

It looks as if the 8th Baron was not too keen on Birmingham and may have preferred Ryde, as references to Birmingham disappear after about 1922.

Few more pics of Perry Barr Hall.....

Attachments

• 1144852.jpg
    1144852.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 31
  • lh_warwickshire_perryhall_fs_3.jpg
    lh_warwickshire_perryhall_fs_3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Manor House Rocky Lane.jpeg
    Manor House Rocky Lane.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Perry Barr Hall.jpg
    Perry Barr Hall.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 34
  • phpThumb.php.jpeg
    phpThumb.php.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Satellite.jpeg
    Satellite.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 28
This photo was labelled as Perry Hall and suggesting it's a family gathering. There's no date but it looks around 1900/10. There's a crest on the wall - enlarged in the second image. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 14
stunning photos two...thanks for sharing them with us...

lyn
Fantastic photos I have attached a photo of my grandpa as a young lad with a hunter from the stables at Perry Hall my great granddad was a coachman still finding out about the family I don't think they lived at the hall estate but came visiting and as Grandpa was an ostler he came with the horse

Attachments

• 1933541_10150151993551763_2626719_o.jpg
    1933541_10150151993551763_2626719_o.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
Fantastic photos I have attached a photo of my grandpa as a young lad with a hunter from the stables at Perry Hall my great granddad was a coachman still finding out about the family I don't think they lived at the hall estate but came visiting and as Grandpa was an ostler he came with the horse

Lovely photo, hope you don’t mind but I did a quick enhancement to see more detail.
38E7442C-9BE1-46F7-9ACE-FAE08618348C.jpeg

My old music teacher Professor Charles Gough told me he was related to the family who owned the hall.

Hi I'm so pleased to have found this very informative thread about Perry Hall, and the fabulous photographs. Today I found that a relative was living at Colliery Cottage close to Perry Hall on the 1881 census. The census shows Perry Hall, and on the next page two dwellings called "The Laundry" and then two dwellings called "Colliery Cottage". Living at both dwellings called The Laundry is a gardener and laundress, and at both Colliery Cottage's a woodsman. I wonder if anyone would know if these cottages were part of the Perry Hall estate? Many thanks

PS Since making this post I've found that my relative is a Woodsman at the Perry Hall Estate on the 1911 census - living at Perry Village.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of the sale at Perry Hall in 1912? I have a portrait of an unknown gentleman that came from that sale, which my mother bought from someone who had been at that sale. Apart from the catalogue, are there any photographic records of pictures that were in the house? after alot of research, I think my portrait is of one of the Gough Calthorpes. I thought it maybe Frederick Henry william GC 5th Baron, but this is all speculation. There was a wonderful site called PerryBar Beyond, which did have info about Fred Vth but I cannot find it anymore. Does anyone have any info around the sale?,

Was the old mill part of the Perry Hall estate ? Great photo of the mill. Looks early 1900s. Viv.

looks like the old mill was more or less where one stop shopping centre is..yet another great historical loss to our city

Back