• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perrott Street, Winson Green

Phil B

Made in Brum
Can anyone (Mike) pin-point number 1 Perrott Street with a street plan, please? Now oldmaps is no longer accessible I'm having trouble finding an alternative map website. I'm trying to find the house where my Great Uncle Samuel Simmonds lived. He later lived at 26 Perrott Street when he married my Great Aunt Harriet.
Phil

Thanks MWS, this is exactly what I was looking for. I assume it's a map you already had because 'Oldmaps' is now closed, or do you still have access?
Phil

When they announced they were closing, I scanned some of it. Perrott St was close to the limit I got to.

I'm pleased to see your great uncle's name is spelt correctly. ;)

I'm pleased to see your great uncle's name is spelt correctly. ;)
I'm always searching this part of the world as I was born in Park Road, Hockley, I wish I had "scanned" more streets also.
I'm intrigued when you said my Great Uncle's name is "spelt correctly". Why is this worthy of note?
Phil

MWS. People are always missing the d out (amongst other errors) - me and my niece always joke that our way is right and any other way is just plain wrong.

MWS. People are always missing the d out (amongst other errors) - me and my niece always joke that our way is right and any other way is just plain wrong.
So, I'm I right to assume your name is Simmonds? Any relation to a Samuel or Harold?

Yes, that's correct.

I had a quick look and, though mine come from the Oxford area like yours, I can't see any connection back to their great grandfather.

Yes, that's correct.

I had a quick look and, though mine come from the Oxford area like yours, I can't see any connection back to their great grandfather.
A bit of a coincidence? Half brother's Samuel and Harold's father was Samuel from Oxford and his father was also a Samuel. Too many Samuels to keep track of.
Phil

Possibly a coincidence this time, though my line ends at my 3 x great grandfather, unfortunately, who died in 1840 and was born 1780s, I assume Oxfordshire but I have no idea really.

Most of my relatives (5 brothers) moved to the east of the city, though a couple of more distant relatives lived on Icknield Port Road, not that far from Perrott St.

Family forenames can be a curse and a blessing. A lot of James with mine.

No probs. Merry Christmas Phil.

And one more coincidence Samuel and Robert's great grandmother (mother of the first Samuel) was born in the same village as my relatives were married and their children baptised.

Last edited:
No probs. Merry Christmas Phil.

And one more coincidence Samuel and Robert's great grandmother (mother of the first Samuel) was born in the same village as my relatives were married and their children baptised.
Was it Cuddesdon? If it was there must be a connection somewhere along the way.

Phil

It was. With three coincidences I'd like to think so but I don't know. Not many first names in common.

This is 1950, almost opposite each other...

View attachment 165296
Thanks very much for this. Just started researching family history and was shocked to see that it’s all Birmingham on one side of the family. Grandfather, granduncle and Great grandparents all lived at 120 Perrott Street and it’s that single address in the records that has been key to pinning them all togeather.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Though not related it looks like we could possibly have some relations in common. I have an Arthur Tennant who married a second cousin of my grandfather.

I think he may have been the grandson of John and Sarah Tennant, who appear to be your ancestors.

Though not related it looks like we could possibly have some relations in common. I have an Arthur Tennant who married a second cousin of my grandfather.

I think he may have been the grandson of John and Sarah Tennant, who appear to be your ancestors.
I’m working through the Tennants. They are quite a narrow line going back to my great grandfather and I haven’t found anyone of that name yet but I’ll let you know. I’m getting towards those generations where there would have been 13 children and hence, hundreds of cousins!

Can anyone (Mike) pin-point number 1 Perrott Street with a street plan, please? Now oldmaps is no longer accessible I'm having trouble finding an alternative map website. I'm trying to find the house where my Great Uncle Samuel Simmonds lived. He later lived at 26 Perrott Street when he married my Great Aunt Harriet.
Phil
My grandfather Samuel Simmonds lived at 1 Perrot Street, he married my nan Elsie, they had a son called Harold who was my dad. It was my grandad,s second marriage, I believe he was married to a Sarah and they lived in Eva Street..Also my grandad came from Oxford. My grandfather died when my dad was 8 years old.
A bit of a coincidence? Half brother's Samuel and Harold's father was Samuel from Oxford and his father was also a Samuel. Too many Samuels to keep track of.
Phil

My grandfather Samuel Simmonds lived at 1 Perrot Street, he married my nan Elsie, they had a son called Harold who was my dad. It was my grandad,s second marriage, I believe he was married to a Sarah and they lived in Eva Street..Also my grandad came from Oxford. My grandfather died when my dad was 8 years old.My grandfather Samuel Simmonds lived at 1 Perrot Street, he married my nan Elsie, they had a son called Harold who was my dad. It was my grandad,s second marriage, I believe he was married to a Sarah and they lived in Eva Street..Also my grandad came from Oxford. My grandfather died when my dad was 8 years old.

My grandfather Samuel Simmonds lived at 1 Perrot Street, he married my nan Elsie, they had a son called Harold who was my dad. It was my grandad,s second marriage, I believe he was married to a Sarah and they lived in Eva Street..Also my grandad came from Oxford. My grandfather died when my dad was 8 years old.My grandfather Samuel Simmonds lived at 1 Perrot Street, he married my nan Elsie, they had a son called Harold who was my dad. It was my grandad,s second marriage, I believe he was married to a Sarah and they lived in Eva Street..Also my grandad came from Oxford. My grandfather died when my dad was 8 years old.
Hello JDC,
.....here's a part tree showing your parents and grandparents, Harold and William both have their mother's surname as Hodgkiss not Hoskins.

Attachments

• Simmonds.jpg
    Simmonds.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back