• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

PELICAN PUB GT KING ST

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i am posting this photo for new member bob lees which shows his grandad far left next to the barman standing outside the pelican pub at 37 gt king st..i think this could be a rare photo i certainly have not seen one before..as you will read from below info from mikejee (thanks mike) it was previously called the pilgrim tavern..also posting map dated 1889...just to add that a new pelican pub was built on the corner of barr st and hockley st probably in the 1960s ..i worked there during the 1980s..building still there but no longer a pub

lyn

The 1921 Kellys does not list an Albert Thorne. at a pub.or indeed at all at any commercial premises.. However the 1923 edition, which would probably refer to 1922. listed Albert Thorne at no 37 Great king St, as a beer retailer. that pub is named in the 1940 edition as The Pelican. (at that time the only pub in Brum listed in Kellys under that name.).. Albert Thorne and Mary Jane Thorne are listed there on the electoral rolls from 1922 till 1945, but had gone by 1947. The Pelican seems to have disappeared from Great King St between 1957 and 1960. (as did a lot of other listings in the area. Earlier , on the c1889 map the pub is called The Pilgrim Tavern. bob lees grandad far left next to the barman outside the pelican pub gt king st.jpgmap 1889 showing the pilgrim pub later to be called the pelican.jpg

Last edited:
Lyn - is this the same pub?

An aerial view of The pelican from 1939, not the best quality unfortunately.
Edited: The Pelican was the next corner along. The location was now as shown on this aerial view

Attachments

• pelican-ph-aerial-1939.jpg
    pelican-ph-aerial-1939.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sorry, is that correct corner? Is that not the corner of Unett St and Well St?
Yes, thanks Mark you are correct, I should have turned the 1950s map around to the same orientation as the aerial view and I wouldn't have got it wrong then.

Yes, thanks Mark you are correct, I should have turned the 1950s map around to the same orientation as the aerial view and I wouldn't have got it wrong then.

Still possibly the wrong corner, I think maybe the other one John, with a little bit of white.

Still possibly the wrong corner, I think maybe the other one John, with a little bit of white.
I've turned the map around Mark, perhaps I'm missing something but certainly looks right to me at No. 37

Attachments

• gt-king-st.jpg
    gt-king-st.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back