• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pedley Charles /ellen /eva /thomas/fred

calibra250

master brummie
I am looking for family of above Charles pedley married ellen pedley she and some of her children died in a house fire 13 January 1927 at ADAMS STREET if you are related to these people so am I .Charles remarried a Scottish lady Mcdonald had a girl called EVA DORIS PEDLEY, my mother, her half brother my uncle Thomas pedley , his brother Fred pedley looking for my family please get in touch, martyn

It seems that Thomas Pedley didn't have any children.

D.o.b. 5 September 1919, registered Aston. Death registered Feb 2006, Birmingham.

Marriage to Rosina Maria Pugh registered Sep qtr 1950, Birmingham.

Rosina's d.o.b. 12 August 1920, registered Aston. Death registered 2003, Birmingham.

From 2002 until their deaths they are listed as living in Birmingham, B8.

No Pedley/Pugh children listed.

Also on Eva's birth registration (if I've got the right one) her mother's maiden name is listed as Harris not Mcdonald.

There is a marriage for a Charles Pedley and a Louisa Smith (a widow?) registered Mar qtr 1928, Birmingham North.

There is a marriage listed for a Louisa Harris and a James Smith registered Sep qtr 1910, Aston.

Charles and Louisa are listed as Pectley on the 1939 register with 2 others who are hidden (Thomas and Eva?).

I may have her maiden name mixed up with her mother I'm working with little or no information ,there is a smith in it somewhere but still sifting info ,there were no children to Thomas my uncle he is the only one I met but lost contact I did write to him but received no answer mother got xmas card that's it I think they had difference of opinion about moving to Ireland ,,, he was right many thanks martyn

Also is Thomas's brother Fred his step brother (Eva's half brother) from Louisa's first marriage?

Frederick Walter Smith was born 16 Oct 1912, registered Aston. Death registered April 1986, Birmingham. He is listed as single and living alone in the 1939 register. There are some marriages listed in Birmingham after 1939 but no way to tell if any of them are his.

yes fred spoke to sister fred was toms step brother moms half they fell out as she blamed him for causing her mother death I'm sure he had children sister Julie is bringing up box of moms papers hope that brings some info there is a male Jackie smith somewhere too and a friend called flory white in there too

Also on Eva's birth registration (if I've got the right one) her mother's maiden name is listed as Harris not Mcdonald.

There is a marriage for a Charles Pedley and a Louisa Smith (a widow?) registered Mar qtr 1928, Birmingham North.

There is a marriage listed for a Louisa Harris and a James Smith registered Sep qtr 1910, Aston.

Charles and Louisa are listed as Pectley on the 1939 register with 2 others who are hidden (Thomas and Eva?).

hello MWS YOU ARE CORRECT I have in my hand marriage certificate of Charles pedley and louisa smith1928 his father George pedley her father john harris
so I don't know where the Mcdonald comes in she was 42 he was 43 her son fred smith there were I think another Jackie smith Charles had Thomas then mom EVA born 1929

I have traced a lot of my family some on dads side some on moms side found 2 cousins so far alive and been in contact
it all started here thank you all for your help martyn

just a quick update ,I have found 3 cousins through tracing family on ancestry ,I have made the link between myself and catmadjax from here and to pedlarman also who unfortunately passed away before I could get to know him still looking for more unfortunately not all the people I have contacted want to reply not to worry I know they are out there thanks to you all again martyn

From what I can tell (primarily through ancestory), Charles Pedley(Father of the deceased) was my third-great granduncle on my mothers side.

Hello inspector brum sorry to all I have not been on forum for a very long time commitments and work to date I found 5 cousins through ancestry one of whom I am meeting next month. I am coming up from Cornwall to where she lives we are going to Witton cemetery to see grave of Charles pedley first wife and childeren who died in that awful fire in Birmingham then may go to see my old house on Bromford Lane only have couple days so if will be fun packed

looking at the headstone it brings the enormity of this tragedy....how on earth charles pedley managed to carry on after losing his wife..7 children and a family friend god only know..i wish you well on your trip

lyn

pedley grave.jpg

Last edited:
looking at the headstone it brings the enormity of this tragedy....how on earth charles pedley managed to carry on after losing his wife..7 children and a family friend god only know..i wish you well on your trip

lyn

View attachment 169866
Hello lyn yes I know but he did go on to remarry only child left was my uncle Tom gone now life wasn't good that I have been told his new daughter Eva my mother looked so much like one of his girls that died it caused problems not a happy child hood that had a knock on effect I am afraid to say but onward we go as I am in my 60s now trying to find my roots on mother's side I have done quite well fathers side blank wall need to go back to ancestry and try some more I was 7 when we left for N Ireland 1967 not great either but that's another story regards martyn

hi martyn i can totally understand the knock on effect but as you say we move on...if you hit anymore brick walls with your research we are always willing to join forces

lyn

Hi lyn yes please I managed to go back to 1760 on mums side found coat of arms way back to be honest money got tight a while back and ancestry went better now so may go back on how do I private message I have forgotten I must admit I was seven when we left brum but all ways think of it as home are you around that area m

martyn if it is the pedley side of the family you are stuck on then just keeping posting on this thread if its another side then just start a new thread under the surname interests section..

if you wish to send private messages to member on this forum just click on their user name and it will take you to conversations...hope this helps

lyn

Back