• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mums folks were from Aston my fathers people from rural Warwickshire and Small Heath both sides of the family had subtle different accents and terminology. Two things I noticed on Peaky Blinders that struck me as wrong were, Aunt Pol refered to going to the city, not many Brummies did that they went, "to town" or "up town". Also there were references to "my wife" rather than the more usual "me missus or missies" subtle difference in pronunciation inplied there :encouragement:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting programme on ci Channel on tv at moment - all about the various Gangs of Birmingham. Didn't know we were so famous!!! The Kemp brother and Carl Chinn having a good old chat!!!

Re: 'The Gangs of Birmingham' - (The Peaky Blinders)

Thats good news looking forward to that .... esp what happened to the cliff hanger.

Production for the second series started at The Black Country Living Museum, I read that Producer Laurie Borg would have loved to have filmed the whole series in Birmingham but said. "Unfortunately the period locations we need just don't exist anymore". I wonder if that has anything to do with Birmingham's passion for getting rid of all it's old buildings.

Production for the second series started at The Black Country Living Museum, I read that Producer Laurie Borg would have loved to have filmed the whole series in Birmingham but said. "Unfortunately the period locations we need just don't exist anymore". I wonder if that has anything to do with Birmingham's passion for getting rid of all it's old buildings.

of course it is phil...i recently watched the programme WPC 56 and what good use they made of the filming a lot of it at the black country museum with all its original buildings...thank goodness we have it...we dont come within a country mile of having or ever having anything like it in birmingham..if only the powers that be had had a brainwave to build a living museum here back in the 60s and indeed 70s...too late now...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

I can't comment on the series because as I think I have mentioned before I don't watch television, but I do know television companies pay quite handsomely for location filming so perhaps this is another source of income that could have been used on saving some of our older buildings had we any that could have utilised.

Stephen really enjoying it, cant wait for this week's episode, but sad its the last of the series. Hopefully there will be No 3 series.

There are many people who say they had razors in their peaks and many who say not.
Are there any written records of people being injured by these razors in the peaks.
My husbnds Dad was born in 1910 and lived in the area but he never mentioned any razors in peaks.

Back to the series and my present 'love' Tommy, LOL.

I think that Tommy will be just about to be shot by Campbell and Grace will come in for another shot at him this time successful.

Then what about Arthur with his lovely cartoon Brummie accent , I love it, I hope they don't hang him.

I think the highlight so far was the conversation last week between the Jewish bloke and Sabini, when he was checking the details of their agreement.

No, they can't hang Arthur!

I think the Peaky Blinders should visit Downton Abbey. They could be louche acquaintances of the ghastly Rose, or whatever her name is.

maria

Good plot -- great ending.
Great having an historical-drama based on Brum ppl.

I went off Grace a bit - have you ?
That Sabatini is a real nasty piece of work (hes in Game of Thrones as well).

And ... good old Polly - get in !

My knowledge of Irish history at that time is tiny, so I must put that right.

I always disliked Grace, but don't know why. Wonder if she really is pregnant, or is mistaken (or lying)? If she is suspected of Campbell's murder (is he dead? we don't quite know, but I suppose he is), and she is pregnant, I don't think she would hang.

The end of the scene at the grave was beautifully choreographed, though bloody. My husband pointed out that Tommy left his watch behind, and we wondered if that was significant. Some one remarked somewhere else that the field was reminiscent of the fields of France where Tommy had escaped death, and of the 'missing' of Ireland more recently.

If he marries Posh Horse Lady, where the heck are they going to live? :)

And Polly.....yes!!! I think Campbell had to die after he did what he did to her.

I've bought Carl Chinn's book about the real Peaky Blinders. I'm wondering what it was like if you were Fred Bloggs and living in that area, like my grandparents - would you be aware of it, or would you make yourself not notice it? But how could you feel safe?

maria (in rambling mode)

Its a very interesting ramble Maria. There is a good you-tube video about Carl Chinn and the peaky's, well worth watching.
Was it me or was this second series a bit more aggressive ?

Good question .. probably not the sort of family to get associated with I guess.

Its a very interesting ramble Maria. There is a good you-tube video about Carl Chinn and the peaky's, well worth watching.
Was it me or was this second series a bit more aggressive ?

Good question .. probably not the sort of family to get associated with I guess.

Oh, it was more aggressive, yes.

In Carl Chinn's book, he says that it was quite frightening to live round there.

Series Three next year, I suppose?

maria :)

only just come across this thread(been away from site for a while). When I was a kid in Bishop Street Balsall Heath in the early 50's my older friend used to frighten the life out of me by threatening me with the peaky blinders and chase me around our yard shouting the ''the Blinders are going to get you'' or ''Charlie Peace(a notorious murderer) is going to get you''. Used to really scare me even though I was not even sure who these people were!! I think he got the stories from his grandad or something.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a Peaky Blinders Tour with Professor Carl Chinn. What an amazing evening! Carl is so knowledgeable about Birmingham and told us the true stories of The Peaky Blinders. If you are fan of the series or just interested in Birmingham History its a must do!

I bought Carl Chinn's The Real Peaky Blinders, which is a factual account of the Birmingham gangs. An interesting read.

HI Debbie
Many Thanks For Your FAST Reply So I WILL Be Most CertainlY Be Ordering Tommorrow
I Hope You Have a lovely evening best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,

The way I see it Eddie is that I prefer not to hear or read foul language but if you are to make a programme that is true to life you have to do just that,viewers are warned that there is bad language and can make their own decision.
Times were hard in the days in which Peaky Blinders is set and these men were hard criminals, their language would have reflected that and in my opinion it remains an excellent programme.

This forum is read by all people of all ages, from school children to senior citizens and for that reason
the facts remain that the rules of this forum state that bad language will not be tolerated and the language that was used in the deleted postwas used repeatedly and accentuated in Capital letters.

As we always do on in such events we discussed this as a team and were very surprised by these posts from a respected poster , even exploring the idea that someone had access to the members computer.

You are quite incorrect your opinion is valued but it is not hypocritical for any moderator to PRIVATELY enjoy a TV programme that contains bad language whilst having to do their job and moderate foul language used on a PUBLIC forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back