• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been away from my computer for a couple of days so a little catching up

I thought that slatertim's post referring to the council house referred to that big building in Victoria Square not the house in which I was born so people talking about when council houses were first built was an irrelevancy. And yes I think the scene shot in the art gallery would have been better if it had been filmed in Birmingham not Liverpool or where ever it was filmed.

The industrial scenes were Black Country Museum and the canal scenes were Dudley Canal Tunnel to answer question raised by others. That was as close as the actual filming got to Birmingham.

Re: the peaky blinders

Hi All,

Carl Chinn wrote a two page article about the Peaky Blinders in last nights Birmingham Mail. Carl says that they had disappeared by about 1902 but, more tellingly, he says that the razor blade in the peak of the cap was a myth started in a book about Garrison Lane during the inter-war years by John Douglas.

Old Boy

l

Interesting.

From what I have read 'peaky blinder' was a term often used to describe any young offender.

regarding the myth about razor blades sown into caps, they are wearing thier caps in the mug shots, dont think this would have been allowed while in police custody.

I thought last night's episode moved the series along nicely. It left me at the end of it thinking, I cant wait for next week. And, couldnt you just drown in those blue eyes. :love-struck:

Hi Mike,
Does that really mean you'd "just like to drown in those blue eyes?" :anonymous:

I am with you on this one Carolina what a captivating face too. I am sorting the characters out as well the acting is brilliant, I am looking forward to next week as well.

I enjoyed last nights episode although I did watch the fight scene from behind my hands :cower: can't stand razor blades or knives.
Also couldn't watch when he was going to shoot the horse :cower::sorrow:.

I was surprised to see how they had portrayed the interior of the 'Lickey tea rooms'. Was it supposed to be the Lickey tea rooms on Rose Hill as donated by the Barrow Cadbury family in 1904 (now the Bilberry Hill centre)? If so I wonder if it was ever that grand? There is the Old Rose and Crown on Rose Hill - not sure if that was ever Tea Rooms - I know it used to be a coaching Inn.

Looking forward to next weeks episode (probably watched from behind my hands).

I think we have to remember this is based on fact with a lot of artistic license to appeal to todays audience. I am like you Poll watching parts through my hands but the younger generation love it. Carolina I am still with you...ha ha.

As for the tea rooms I remember going to one in the late 60's I suppose it was supposed to be authentic. I was mesmerised by the white linen, the waitresses and the silverware. I do hope the Licky Tea Rooms was like this. I say enjoy it for what it is and anything that put Brum in the spotlight has to be good.

Pity Peaky Blinders was not filmed in Birmingham. Starting Sunday night is a new serial By Any Means which was filmed in Birmingham but the story is set in London. Interesting to see how many Birmingham sights you can spot pretending to be London. They showed Waterloo Street on BBC Midlands News this evening.

Yup, David. We also caught a shot of Water Street and at least one Brummie accent. So, it'll be interesting to see how this flp round from "Peaky B" turns out.

Mug shots from 1904. Details show relatively minor offences. Distinguishing marks mentioned such as female tattoos, another has missing fingers. Viv.

ehura5uq.jpg

hi

Yep seems odd Carl Chinn dosent really rate them either. However the top man
seems to be the Bookie Billy Kimber in last weeks Episode ie
The Birmingham Boys aka Brummagem Boys were a turf gang whose power extended from the North of England to London's underworld, 1910s -1930. They lost control of the South East racecourses to the Sabini brothers.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
Following the Gaming Act 1845, the only gambling allowed in England was at race tracks. The introduction of special excursion trains meant that all classes of society could attend the new racecourses opening across the country. Cash concentrated towards the bookmakers who employed bodyguards against protection gangs operating within the vast crowds.[SUP][4][/SUP]
"Bookmaker" Billy Kimber (born 1884)[SUP][5][/SUP] from Bordesley in Birmingham was head of the Birmingham Boys.[SUP][6][/SUP] With gangs in Uttoxeter and Leeds he controlled racecourses in the Midlands and the North. He set up a secondary base in Islington, North London to concentrate on the racetracks in the South of England.[SUP][4][/SUP]
Billy Kimber was actually born in 1882 at Summer Lane, Birmingham. Gangs of London by Brian McDonald has an accurate biography.
Kimber formed alliances with smaller organisations such as the Hoxton Gang[SUP][4][/SUP] and the Elephant and Castle Mob. Now at racecourses in the south East, one group the Brummies began to prey on were the Jewish bookies from London's East End. They turned to local underworld boss Edward Emmanuel who in turn recruited the Italian Sabini Gang as protection.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In March 1921 the Brummagems ambushed Sabini at Greenford Trotting Park. A few days later Kimber was found shot and beaten in Kings Cross, London,[SUP][5][/SUP] having gone to visit Sabini. The violence escalated but Sabini gained the upper hand when twenty-three Birmingham boys were locked up following the "Epsom Road Battle".[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]
[h=2]Epsom Road Battle[/h]
We will have to wait and see

Mike Jenks

1891 57 Court 2 House Summer lane William Kimber age 9 with his father William mother Catherine and siblings
Harry, Joseph,Alfred and Ann.
In 1901 William is age 19 and residing in Winson Green Prison.
In 1911 living as a boarder in Salford, Lancs occupation Commission Agent.

As for the programme, I think that if we were from a different area and not Brummies interested in History , so therefore not analyising the accents and historical facts ,we would be thinking it was a brilliant TV drams.

Last edited:
My DH is a southerner and he says it's developing into a good story but the accents mean nowt to him, just good acting and story. I think he's enjoying it more than me!!!

I have watched the first 2 episodes and think the drama has been very good so far,The accents aren't bad but I do seem to hear a bit of scouse coming through now and again,Overall I think its been good for the city that we have a decent drama based here,roll on part 3!

It's just a pity that the filming couldn't be based here seen as the story is. On the other hand, I s'pose, it says summat that we haven't got enough dumps left to fit the location demands.

The gangs seemed to be around that area from the 1880's. My grandfather was born in Watery Lane in 1903. His mum gave birth to him illegitimately at the age of 17 followed the next year by a baby daughter, also illegitimately. My grandfather remembers seeing his father nearly beat a man to death, trying to get money from him. Hard times.....

Re: the peaky blinders

Definitely not a myth. My father had a scar which was produced by being slapped across the face with a flat cap during a "discussion" outside a pub in Aston before WW11. I can't remember any references to "Peaky Blinders" but the habit of sewing razor blades into caps was common. It seemed to die out as the general wearing of hats died out. However, the "Teddy Boys" of the 50's used to sew razor blades into their lapels to cut the fingers of anyone grabbing their jackets to push them down over the upper arms to stop the wearer retaliating or to pull the wearer onto a head but.

I didn't tell Michael about Garys post I just asked if he knew about Teddy Boys doing this he confirmed Gary's coments almost word for word.

This thread posted in the "Film, TV, Theatre" section was to discuss the TV programme, the other threads relates to the book.

Colin.

Last edited:
hi

I understand but its hard to contribute with serious Historic work. The TV programme is driving the Thread.
Each Episode is adding information for us to look at. All I can say is for an important thread to be in bits and
pieces it a shame. An interesting pub in Sparkbrook cropped up with the IRA connection.

Mike Jenks

Enjoying this thread & really like this TV series. I’m hooked 100% now.

Violence in parts graphic, but after all it is a gangster story set in hard times and its a drama not a factual documentary – so entertainment first.

Really like the cinematography. Accents interesting and I thought good, not going to be picky. The music IMO superb - fitted the artistic graphical scenes just right. It’s good to see something different and cutting new ground. Brilliant for us to be associated with a classic series. Acting excellent, story line intriguing. Lovely bar maid with gorgeous eyes. What more could I want :)

I used to pass the Smethwick drop forge when I was little (on my bike) and the smoke, smell, heat, fire belching from dark buildings is something I will never forget. Series and pounding music seems to evoke the essence perfectly. Just my thoughts folks. Stephen

Having missed the last two episodes I caught up on iPlayer. Like most, since seeing those optic measures attached to bottles in the pub, I have given up seeing it as historical fact. I am now enjoying it even more as a good TV series, especially Annabelle Wallis. What else could you ask for better than her behind a well stocked bar with the drinks at 1920s prices? :adoration:

The peaky blinders were never organised gangsters.They were young blokes who returned from the horrors of WW1. desensitized,to whom violence was a way of life,and having no jobs just drifted into street fighting.Did know a couple of old blokes who said they had been peaky blinders,I had no reason to doubt their word,especially as one would often show of the scars from the cat-o-nine-tails...part of his punishment in the green.However,the T.V.series is very good drama,did have a laugh in the first 5 mins of the first episode...when we saw a Rastafarian ...they were not formed until 1930.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back