• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the peaky blinders

A great program albeit stylised. A bit scary though as I have drunk in the Garrison Tavern; in the fifties though not the twenties. Two of my sisters' husbands lived in the area, both cousins. One from Irish stock and one from Italian stock.

Its time to lighten up folks.I really enjoyed the program.Well produced and plenty of money spent on it.
Roll on next week.
JH

I warmed to it as the programme progressed- I'll await to see how it builds. The foundry scenes from the street/passage looked a little to much like the Olympics opening ceremony - a bit too much dark satanic mills for a serial. Pubs, Cut/Barge and dress looked good. Behaviours/reactions/mannerisms of folk I thought reflected my memories of family and friends post WW2 and 50's who lived through the time. Accents modified and learnt but no issue-it's for a wide audience and many would not really get Shakespeare's true accent (allegedly).Perhaps the usual ridicule of the (our) accent can be eroded if quality comes through!!! Violence I thought reflected reality of dealing with issues contemporary to the period. My Dad told a story of the 20's when visiting family in Watery Lane about a fight outside the house as the pubs emptied-mallets produced from inside jackets -and liberally used.
Keep the faith!!!!
DJRVST

I have just watched the peaky blinders on the i player i was a bit dubious about it at first but got into it and thought it was good entertainment , i was expecting a bit of "crossroads" speak but was suprised at the accents , it was a bit glamourized at the beginning (a bit like a clint eastwood film) with the lone rider but all in all a good program .
As with many on this site i cant vouch for the accuracy of the story as it was before my time but i have read the book "The gangs of Birmingham" and the peaky blinders were portrayed as local gangs that preyed on each other , the police and any unfortunate person who was in the wrong place at the wrong time perhaps they evolved into gun runners in their latter days who knows!
Apparently some of the filming was done in Liverpool as there are still areas with streets that reflect the scenes that the producers wished to portray , roll on second episode.
phil

This thread is to discuss the programme, which is fiction based on a true story. There is obviously a lot of poetic licence involved and imagination stretching by the producers.
This does not give us the oppurtunity to have a pop at the police force involved.
Try to remember that the accents portrayed are by actors so don't exspect them to get it bang on ( remember Crossroads, some of their accents could of come from anywhere, including Mars )
Enjoy it for what it is, just a peice of entertainment with the added bonus that its based in our great City.
Rant over!

Totally agree Jim nice to see a Brummy subject on T.V. It is of the time just enjoy it for what it is!!

I have just watched it on the iplayer and I have to say I thought it was quite good as far as an entertaining TV program goes. Historical accuracy is a different matter though I didn't spot any glaring errors.

hi

Yep we must get on our knees and thank god for a serious programme on the Subject of Birmingham.
Its way out of our Time but the Betting and Gambling was clearly a major source of income.
Clearly the theft of the Armaments is a Major Theme for the Story.
Its a good Start.
Did you see the Wipers Paper Story. That was a Cracking good programme,

Mike Jenks

i thought it was reasonable but was hoping for at least a bit of CGI to show landmarks...council house scene maybe? No idea the exterior building they used for the police HQ? presume it was supposed to be Steelhouse Lane (guessing it was somewhere in London?) The other thing that surprised me was some of the ethnicities suggested to live in Birmingham then....Chinese? Afrocarribean? Was this really the case in the early 20th century?!

i thought it was reasonable but was hoping for at least a bit of CGI to show landmarks...council house scene maybe? No idea the exterior building they used for the police HQ? presume it was supposed to be Steelhouse Lane (guessing it was somewhere in London?) The other thing that surprised me was some of the ethnicities suggested to live in Birmingham then....Chinese? Afrocarribean? Was this really the case in the early 20th century?!
Apparently yes . See https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Lib-Central-Archives-and-Heritage%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092759342&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper
S
o Fu Manchu originated in Ladywood !!

No council houses in the twenties Slatertim
Some of the first council houses bulit in Brum were Lawrence Street Gem Street and Milk Street bulit 1890, my family lived in them. There were larger estates built in the late twenties..
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/citizenship/brave_new_world/birmingham.htm

https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-g/gosta-green/

L
ocation for some of the shots was Stanley dock Liverpool..

https://goo.gl/maps/JKiwO

Wonderful filmography and setting...but terrible Brummie accents and watered Irish ones, what a pity. But it looks promising. As I am writing a book about my family this can only add grist etc. As a child there were still bookies runners my Mom used to frequent on behalf of her Mother who would have lived through the Peaky times. There was a betting shed down Manor Road witton Aston. Anyone recall that. Awful place full of smoke, the poor always were fodder for the Bookies. Thankfully I never got hooked. God Bless my Mom ans Dad..

Yes 'iffy' accents, terrible music, excellent acting.

What a gorgeous gangster that Thomas is, LOL. very different to the photos of the real Peakys who were a strange looking bunch of blokes.

If the scenes are correct what a dire place to live Brum looked in those days, with all that polution no wonder my late father in law born 1910 had lost two 'mothers'before he was 7 yrs old.

I don't mind the music ...it adds a connection with 'now' Yes, he's a handsome lad that Tom ... My Mother was born in Dudderson in 1921, it would have been just like that then. It was bad enough in the early 1950's.

The worst accent I thought was the original leader of The Peakys (not Tom). I thought there was a little Liverpool coming through as well.

yep

It seems OK well done BBC. The accent well its difficult we have to understand its goin out
everywhere.

Mike Jenks

Having now seen the whole episode on iPlayer I've got a better idea of what it's all about - Catherine Cookson meets Gangs of New York, meets The Untouchables, meets Harry's Game, meets Bonny and Clyde, meets Godfather with a little bit of Charles Dickens thrown in for good measure...What more can anyone ask? :abnormal:

I watched it last night. I thought it was quite good and am looking forward to next weeks episode. I usually find the second episode of any series more enjoyable as you have already 'met' the characters. The accents didn't bother me at all and I thought the acting was good. The only thing I found annoying was the music - in one part it didn't seem to go well with the programme and it was all too loud - found myself turning the volume up and down all the way through the programme.

Overall it gets a big :encouragement: from me.

I think I agree with pollypops. I thought the digital background was very effective, though the regular flames coming out into every street shot was a bit excessive. The story was a little complicated, but I found it interesting to watch, and would definitely recommend it AS A TV STORY, but NOT AS AN ACCURATE HISTORICAL REPRESENTATION. It may be me, but the older leader of the blinders did remind me a little to look at like Carl Chinn, especially as his father was a bookmaker.

I've just seen the first episode. It's set just around the corner from where I was born and from where my parents and grandparents used to live!
maria

I had forgotten about the flames Mike - I thought there were a few too many as well :adoration:

Agree about the flames, also the continual ash floating about in the air too

The noise from the founderies ect would have been so loud and constent in that era i think the music was trying to mimic the noise.

Had not thought of that Robert. It must be so hard making a period drama with so little left of the time. I noticed the foundry looked like the Black Country Museum. Drop forges made a terrific noise too.

Hi All,

Carl Chinn wrote a two page article about the Peaky Blinders in last nights Birmingham Mail. Carl says that they had disappeared by about 1902 but, more tellingly, he says that the razor blade in the peak of the cap was a myth started in a book about Garrison Lane during the inter-war years by John Douglas.

Old Boy

l

My father was born in 1906 so lived close to that time, and I remember, as a young girl, my Dad relating those times and he told me about the peaky blinders who did have razor blades in the peak of their caps -otherwise why would they have been called Peaky Blinders?? I somehow doubt that John Douglas started a myth as someone said Carl Chinn had suggested.

My Gran who lived in a back to back in Ladywood used to have a bet on the horses; a penny or twopence a time and this would be taken to the corner of the road to be given to the runner.

Anthea

In all of the articles written about the Peaky blinders ,including The Gangs of Birmingham about the Sloggers and the Peakies,it never mentions the razors.
My understanding is that the gangs were named for their apparel, but I have read that to be hit with the cap peak on the bridge of your nose incapacitated you long ewnough for your valuables to disappear.
As for the time scale all of the police reports of the Peakies have them imprisoned in the late 19th century and there is a report that the demise of these gangs came in late 1890s when the Reverend Arnold Pinchard got them involved in youth club activities.

I think we have to give in to a bit of poetic licence with period dramas.

Was Brum in the 20s as bleak as suggested by the programme? I thought that the peaky blinders had disappeared by the time of the first world war. All of the papers seem to think that "Peaky Blinders " is really good. I am not so sure. Is the programme just more ammunition for those who want to knock Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back