• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

A Sparks

master brummie
Re: the peaky blinders

I believe the guy playing the main character is from Ireland too.
It will be interesting to hear how they cope with the accents.

W

Wendy

I think the accent has been "watered down" over the years. I have some very elderly clients from Birmingham and I have to say their accents are very different to the way even my generation speak. It's lovely to hear though I get a warm feeling talking to them. I am looking forward to the program as well.

Oisin

gone but not forgotten

Going round the city centre these days you'd be lucky to hear anyone talking English, never mind "correct" Brummie. The nearest I've heard it spoken by these days is by Asian Brummies! :abnormal:

GER22VAN

master brummie

Going round the city centre these days you'd be lucky to hear anyone talking English, never mind "correct" Brummie. The nearest I've heard it spoken by these days is by Asian Brummies! :abnormal:
Guess it wants throwing in the miskin these days.

carolina

master brummie

You only have to listen to some London born people whose accents appears to be that they were born in Jamaica. But, we all know our own accents and where we were born, so hopefully, if the accent isnt quite correct, lets hope it doesnt detract from the series.

MWS

master brummie

What most people seem to class as a Brummie accent I'd say was Black Country and people who want to emphasise there 'Brummieness' tend to thicken it up in that direction.

crimble

master brummie

The Peaky Blinders. Just looked on tv planner. It looks as though it starts this Thursday 12th September 2013. BBC2 9pm. 1st of 6 episodes. Thanks for info on Peaky Blinders - all new to me. Should be interesting !

Richie

Mr.Respectable

You only have to listen to some London born people whose accents appears to be that they were born in Jamaica. But, we all know our own accents and where we were born, so hopefully, if the accent isnt quite correct, lets hope it doesnt detract from the series.
Carolina, you might be interested in the novelty that although (white) English and very upper-class spoken (independent school education) I've had to learn to speak Jamaican as done in Jamaica (not the British black version) as a community worker in the Jamaican charity network both here and in Kingston (that's the one in the Caribbean). I'll photocopy some of the pages from the official dictionary studied for my Caribbean Studies degree at University should you want a crash course session if I can get along to a Forum get-together..

Cassidy.jpg

It's still quite useful when I appear on stage in arts centres with a West Indian theatre group as an English tourist/doctor/immigration officer....

On the Peaky Blinders front, here's two links to recent radio programmes with dsicussions and cast interviews regarding the forthcoming drama series

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039dbkj

(first ten minutes)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b039lmkd

(LAST ten minutes)

Richie.

W

Wendy

I am now feeling excited about this program. Having read the book and remembering the tales of the peaky blinders my late father in law told us about.

pollypops

master brummie

I am looking forward to it too Wendy. One thing that puzzles me is that everything I have read about the Peaky Blinders refers to them being around in the 19th century. So was there a gang still using that name after the war or have the writers just decided to set it in those times?

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

hi pol they were certainly around after ww1...i have a friend whos rellie was a peaky and he well remembers him and can recall many things that he used to get up to and certainly not one to be messed with...

lyn

oldMohawk

master brummie

Lyn, thanks for your reply - how great to hear about the Peaky's from someone in the know.
I found this mention of them in the Birmingham Daily Post, October, 1895
Just two Police-constables to tackle twenty to thirty 'Peaky Blinders' they must have been brave !

Several scenes in the BBC 2 production were shot at Brooke’s Mill in Armitage Bridge.
The producer said "The Birmingham we needed to recreate, due to a combination of the war and town planners, doesn’t exist anymore".
Mentioned in link below...
https://www.examiner.co.uk/news/bbc-2-drama-peaky-blinder-5906265

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

Lyn, thanks for your reply - how great to hear about the Peaky's from someone in the know.

I found this mention of them in the Birmingham Daily Post, October, 1895
thanks for that snippet pol...i am really looking forward to the programme...

lyn