• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paying to leave school!

juliedonaldson

Brummie babby
My mother went to school at St.Paul's Catholic School during the war. She left school at 14 to get a job but she told me her parents had to pay £5 to enable her to do this. Does anyone know why this would have been so?

The Headmaster on the make ? Never heard of it before. Was she behind in some sort of payment for school equipment ? Heard plenty of stories about children not going to grammar school because the parents could not afford to pay for uniform and school books etc..

I think everyone left school at 14 in the war years, it wasn't till about 1947 that the leaving age changed the 15.

Nick

Thanks for the comments. The reply about school equipment rings a bell. I know Mum had to pass the 11 plus to go to St. Pauls'. Perhaps there was some sort of contract where you had to agree to stay for an agreed length of time. Thinking back Mum might have left before she was 14, she was born in 1930. Does anyone know more about St. Paul's. I think Sister Veronica was the Head during the 2nd World War.

Hi Julie: Just a bit of history about St. Paul's. Might be some info in there. From British History online

ST. PAUL'S R.C. GIRLS' GRAMMAR SCHOOL, Vernon Road, Edgbaston. By 1854 there was a training sch. for sch. mistresses attached to St. Paul's Convent, Whittall St. (Cath. Dir. (1854)). In 1892 the R.C. schs. opened a central pupil-teacher establishment in St. Chad's Sch., Shadwell St. It was held in the evenings and on Saturday mornings. In 1901 it was replaced by St. Paul's Pupil-Teacher Centre for G conducted by Sisters of Charity of St. Paul (see p. 404) in a converted factory in Whittall St. N.o.b. 1903: 62 of whom 40 were resident. In 1908 this sch. was replaced by St. Paul's High Sch. for Girls and R.C. Pupil-Teacher Centre in new buildings in Vernon Rd., Edgbaston, but under the same management. There was a leasehold house attached for boarders, who paid fees of up to £20. From 1911 the hostel was managed separately and all the pupils were considered to be daily ones. Enlarged 1925, 1930, 1955. Became an aided sch. 1948. N.o.b. 1908: 20 boarders, 91 day-pupils, 39 pupil-teachers; 1930: 259, with 56 in separatelyorganized preparatory dept.; 1961: 600.(28) In 1911 c. 54 per cent. came from elementary schs., in 1930 65 per cent. Fees £6 for day pupils at first; by 1930 £8 for pupils from vicinity. In 1914 32 per cent. pupils had free places, in 1930 85 per cent. Average leaving age was under 14 until after 1912 when an 'undertaking' by parents not to remove their children was instituted. In 1911–13 average leaving age was 15¼ yrs., by 1930 over 16 (ex inf. M. of Ed.).
S

My Mom RIP left school age 12yrs circa 1887 she told me she had to pass an exam or pay some money can`t remember the amount, possibly 5 shillings, a lot of money in those years.

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for all the info about St.Paul's, very interesting. My Granparents must have made the "undertaking" you mentioned. The 5 shillings Len mentioned sound more likely too. Thanks for the feedback.
Julie

Back