• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Ha, Dek, it's one and the same mate. Nitrous Oxide is more widely known as laughing gas. I thought every electician/anaeshetist knew this? <Smiley and winking yellow thingy>

One more that I should imagine has been on before, but I can't find it. Kingston Row. Again Phyllis Nicklin was there first, and her colour shot shows the depredation effect quite starkly. No idea where it was, apart from the big clue in the photo legend, but I first dated my Mrs in the Kingston Cinema in 1958. What was on? Love Me Tender. The Plot? No idea...I was 17 for heaven's sake. Sounded OK though...when I came up for air. That will be snipped I know...but you get my drift dek?

Coordinates please someone? Mike? Put me out of my misery with a nice map? Big or small, suit yourself...

Kingston Row P Nicklin.jpg Kingston Row 1967.jpg

Last edited:
Here,s a nice photo that i think is on the Gosta Green thread that must be a passage (not sure if it,s been mentioned)but i know phil will have it,s name. Dek

Denis
Below is a map showing kingston row behind Bingley Hall c 1914
Mike

map_c_1914_kingston_row.jpg

Thanks Mike, as per...But you have intrigued me. What tunnel (marked on the map) ?? It's not my day today, medication not kicked in yet, so please don't tell me it's blindingly obvious... Oh go on then.

Yes, (ahem!) quite, moving swiftly on...bet you can't find this then. I think it's a misprint. Betholom Row.

Betholom Row.jpg

Last edited:
Mike isn't this Kingston Row that runs across the top of what is now called James Brindley Place but used to be the entrance to Falks Warehouses on the canal where the pub is now.

Phil

City Cambridge St Falk's Warehouses off Cambridge St 1958 (Flapper & Firkin).JPG

Last edited:
It seems to correspond to the road that runs off King Edwards Road parallel to the canal . It isn't named on the overheads google earth, but if you go to streetview at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...&spn=0.001336,0.003852&z=18&cbp=12,14.08,,0,5 then it is named as kingston row. Streetview doesn't go right down th eroad, but if you go to as far as you can towards the end, the road you are talking about is off to the right, but not clear if that part is called kingston row.
Mike

Mike

Yes its the same place, Kingston Row would have continued on past where the barrier is now and the downhill part of the road would have led to Falks's warehouses are in the photo in post #83. The area that is now the Flapper & Firkin public house.

Phil

Has everyone missed my unknown passage on #321 I know where Aston St was but don,t remember this gulley. Dek

Dek
It was Reed's passage or Reed's opening. it was on # 209 of this thread , with a map at #212.
mike

It is unfortunate that some members had to resort to P**s taking on what is a very good subject, this type of behaviour infuriates both myself and my moderators.
To the genuine members who have contributed, I am very sorry, but to the few that are acting like little schoolboys, perhaps you should find yourself another site to to spoil.

OK, this thread has been tidied up and reopened.
As long as it is kept on topic and treated properly, it will stay open.
Thank you.
Jim

Next to the railway station on Lichfield Rd i think. Max

I remember that well, its Lovers Lane between Grosvenor Rd and Aston Station, back entrance to Grosvenor Pub my Dads local

Now I know Mikejee has other photo's of this passageway because this photo is one of his excellent collection. In this photo the buildings to the one side of the alley have been demolished and it has been opened up, you would not have seen this view before the buildings were demolished. It is Alliance Passage that ran from Wenman St to Mary St in Balsall Heath, no that is not strictly true because it ran from the bottom of Pearson St which was a cul de sac to Mary St.

Alliance Place as small as it was housed a few factories the one that was of interest to me was Harry Monty's a well known Birmingham dressmaker. It interested me because of all the lovely young girls that worked there. If I was unemployed at the time which I often was we used to get ourselves along there about lunch time and wait for the parade of girls to exit.

Phil

Balsall Heath Harry Monty  Alliance Place .jpg

Last edited:
I only have the one other of that passage Phil and that is this, of the side of monty's

28A__harry_monty_manufacturing.jpg

Mike didn't you take one of Alliance place itself as it ran down to Mary St?

Phil

I don't think so Phil. i certainly haven't labeled one so. There definitely doesn't seem to be one on the same film that could be that
mike

Apologies if this has been posted before. Paternoster Row off Park St. Max

I think I will need a little help with this one, from my childhood I remember Bath Walk that ran from Edward Rd to George Street in Balsall Heath. In the main I remember it because of the wonderful cake shop that used to stand at the Edward Rd entrance to the alley.

The alley itself was an irregular T shape with the one end of the elongated top T bar running up to a dead end. Back in those days it was a hive of industrial activity, but I can remember no houses, only rear entrances to houses in Mary Street and George St.

I recently came across an advert for John Smiths Bath House, George St from the 1840’s and realised there must be a connection between the Bath House and Bath Walk. Can anybody tell me any more about it?

I’m attaching a plan of the location of Bath Walk marked X on the map, an old photo of the entrance to Bath Walk from Edward Rd, a recent photo of the same entrance, and a copy of the advert I mentioned.

Phil

map  Balsall Heath Bath Walk.jpg Balsall Heath Edward Rd Nr Bath Walk.jpg Bath Walk Edward Rd.JPG Blsall Heath Bath Walk John Smith Baths.jpg

Last edited:
Phil
I attach two maps showing no 12 george st in c 1889. Although it is sometime after the baths are listed, there is a rectangular shape in the back garden (together with another dotted shape), which might be where the baths were.
The street is not numbered till 1876. However, if one assumes that the order of the houses is correct (reasonable I think), then one can say that this is the building:
Other than the Wrightson’s directory you quote (which I do not have) the first mention of john smith I have is in the 1855 post office and whites directories, which respectively describe him as having warm and cold baths, as as a bath proprietor . He is still there in 1858, but by 1861 he has disappeared, and Mrs Rebecca Smith is listed at the proprietress of the Balsall Heath Baths. I think she is listed on the census as a widow but writing is very faded. She remains there as proprietresse till at least 1873 (when it is described as swimming baths), but by 1876 she is just listed as a private address, the baths not being mentioned. The 1891 census lists no 11 and 12 together , with two families (not smiths) occupying the building
Mike

map_1889_george_st_balsall_heath.jpg

map_c_1889_no_12_george_st.jpg

Mike

I've just has a look on Google and the plot at the rear of what would have been No 11 & 12 looks hardly big enough for a pool. Do you think they might have built Bath Cottages where the pool was and this accounts for the name Bath Walk. I have to admit I don't remember any cottages there, but I suppose they might have gone before I was born.

Phil

I've just has a look on Google and the plot at the rear of what would have been No 11 & 12 looks hardly big enough for a pool. Do you think they might have built Bath Cottages where the pool was and this accounts for the name Bath Walk. I have to admit I don't remember any cottages there, but I suppose they might have gone before I was born

I would think that very possible Phil. From 1845 to at least 1849 the landlord of the Globe. Gt Barr St was John Smith (and in 1841 a john smith was landlord at the kings Arms, Gt Barr St, but , with such a common name that doesn’t mean much.)
mike

A new (to me) and very evocative photo of CLIVE PASSAGE, Snow Hill in 1960, from Alton's latest 'More of the 60s' book. Clive Passage is also featured in Post Nos 87 & 88.

Clive Passage 1960.jpg

Last edited:
Back