• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PARKER, Victor George

Del-boy

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find out more about my Uncle. At one time he had a jewellery business in the Jewellery Quarter known ( I believe) as Parker & Parker. The other Parker was a Fred Parker, although he was not related to the other, they just shared the same surname. I believe that they had a disagreement and Fred Parker bought out Vic (as he was known) and for a time Fred Parker's son, Arden took the business over. Vic was a colourful character to say the least with a number of businesses over the years. In 1971 and his family emigrated to Australia (probably under the £1 Pom scheme) and in typical Vic style he exported a Rolls Royce on the ship that they took to their new life down under. For some unknown reason, Vic had very little to do with his brothers and sisters and I would really appreciate anyone who knew my uncle to get in touch. For a long time Vic and his family lived in Handsworth.

Hi Del Boy

I did not know Vic, but found this article that confirms his company in the jewellery quarter when it became incorporated , found on companies house.

Attachments

• companies_house_document.pdf
    716.2 KB · Views: 6
This is the shop in 2021 at Vyse street, from Google maps still V & F Parker, Arden Jewellery

Attachments

• vyse street.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi Del Boy

I did not know Vic, but found this article that confirms his company in the jewellery quarter when it became incorporated , found on companies house.
You are a star! Thank you so much as that is really appreciated.

Mentioned in newspapers in Feb 1961, at West Bromwich bankruptcy court.
I am indebted to you. He was one hell of a colourful character. In his defence I don't think he ever actually meant to scam people he was just trying to make a living for him and his family.

I am indebted to you. He was one hell of a colourful character. In his defence I don't think he ever actually meant to scam people he was just trying to make a living for him and his family.
According to the companies house document he lived on Silverstone avenue, Handsworth wood at No 31. This is that house today. The one with the White door.

Attachments

• silvercroft avenue.pdf
    224.5 KB · Views: 6
I remember going to this house as a young kid. It was a little off there beaten track as I recall and remember the fields adjacent to the house. Thanks for that!

I believe Victor got to the rank of Sergeant Major while serving with the British Army during WW2 and was stationed in Italy. Does anyone on the forum have relatives who may have known him whilst he was stationed out there? I am going to try and obtain his service records too, as I believe that from 1 April 2023 they will be available FOC, so that hopefully I will know precisely what regiment he served in, but just wondering if someones' relative served out there with him?

To be truthful I don't honestly know. I know that he and his family emigrated to Australia in 1971 and I also know that the partnership with Fred Parker broke up, but exactly when, I would need to enquire with his daughter Jacqui, who is my cousin. Don't know if that helps or not?

To be truthful I don't honestly know. I know that he and his family emigrated to Australia in 1971 and I also know that the partnership with Fred Parker broke up, but exactly when, I would need to enquire with his daughter Jacqui, who is my cousin. Don't know if that helps or not?
hi delboy..reason i asked is because my first job on leaving school was working just 5 doors up from parkers and i am sure i recall the name vic...as office junior i used to do a bit of running around taking jewellery to different places and i seem to recall my boss saying can you run this down to vics...having said that it was long time ago so it could be a false memory of vic wearing a white working coat as many did and still do

all the best

lyn

I think you would remember Vic if you met him. He was a rather largish bloke and had the gift of the gab. I am attaching a photo of him - not sure when taken but that's my Aunty Diamond with him. It was taken after they emigrated.

Attachments

• 5DE44F7B-241D-4E96-A537-2F7A627C3D98_1_105_c.jpeg
    5DE44F7B-241D-4E96-A537-2F7A627C3D98_1_105_c.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 6
hi delboy i cant say that i recognise the face but as i said it was more the name that jogged my memory...thanks for the photo

lyn

Back