• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Parents of our parents.

thats ok colin, i wasnt emailing you, you will get any replies which come onto this thread because you have posted on it yourself.
this thread is really for photos of our grandparents :)

I agree with Judy. She was, Jules, very beautiful. And what a lovely composition.
Really lovely photos on this thread.

Ann

Just came across this photo. I thought I'd seen all I had. I think it's taken at the back of the Navigation on Bromford Lane. The people are standing on what I've been told by my uncle was a piece of grass on the side nearest the canal. I can't be 100% though.
On it is my Paternal Grandfather, Grandmother, Father and his 2 sisters (only discovered through a magnifying glass!) Not sure what the occasion was but some of the ladies have their fox furs around their necks so maybe a "special" occasion?

Just came across this photo. I thought I'd seen all I had. I think it's taken at the back of the Navigation on Bromford Lane. The people are standing on what I've been told by my uncle was a piece of grass on the side nearest the canal. I can't be 100% though.
On it is my Paternal Grandfather, Grandmother, Father and his 2 sisters (only discovered through a magnifying glass!) Not sure what the occasion was but some of the ladies have their fox furs around their necks so maybe a "special" occasion?

Evening David. Are you sure that is the Navi?
Maybe it's the one on the other side of the cut before the present one was built.

Morning Chris. As I said I'm only going on what my uncle said about the grassy area. I'll have to check the dates of when the Navi was moved to the present site as the ages of my father and his sisters would place it about the late 1920s. I can't place the building in the background. I'm sure it's not any of the houses on the Bromford "triangle" where they all lived.

Morning Chris. As I said I'm only going on what my uncle said about the grassy area. I'll have to check the dates of when the Navi was moved to the present site as the ages of my father and his sisters would place it about the late 1920s. I can't place the building in the background. I'm sure it's not any of the houses on the Bromford "triangle" where they all lived.

Great photo anyway.
I see George Formby turned up :D

Lovely Pictures sending some of mine.

Gt. Granny No.3.

Granny. No.2

My Mother. No.4

Grandad complete with kiss curl.

Uncle Alf with sisters, brother of my mother. Miriam.

Hello Jean. Like your picture - have you noticed all the ladies wore black or dark colours and neither the men, women or children every smiled.

Sending two pictures of my 'mom' . One with my eldest brother - I wasn't a twinkle at that time. :D Miriam.

You know I had not noticed about the smiles [lack of] till you pointed it out Miriam. Some lovely photo's on this thread. Jean.

Jean, lovely photos. I'm so jealous of people's old family photos as I have so few (photos that is):(.

Graham.

View attachment 42916 View attachment 42918 View attachment 42917 View attachment 42915Phoebe and daughters..jpg Charles and Florence Pedlingham...jpg Flora Annie Cicely Cartwright.jpg Joseph Augustus Pedlingham (2).jpg Mom 9 12 1969..jpg

thought I would add my Moms side of the family to the wonderful photos on this site 1.My Gt Gt Grandmother Phoebe Pedlingham (nee Coldrick) with some of her daughters
2. My Gt Grandparents, Charles Pedlingham and Florence (Clarke) on their Golden Wedding at Aston Fields
3 My Nan, Flora Annie Cicely Cartwright of Lye (Wife and 2nd cousin to my Grandad, Joseph Pedlingham)
4 My Grandad Joseph Augustus Pedlingham
5 My Beautiful Mom

Last edited:
You are so right Jean, I have quite a collection now and they are all very precious to me. I could sit for hours looking at the photos on here, they are wonderful.
Lindyloo

Hi Jean

Here is a link to my late mother’s grandmother, as I cannot yet figure out how to put photos into the posts.

It is from a painting on glass of around A4 size that had been broken into about 5 parts. My mother had stuck tape on the rear to hold it together. I scanned it and spent several hours in Photoshop, but I was really pleased with the effort.

Now what may be of interest to you is that I am almost certain that in the 1901 census she was living in Holte Road and she later just moved down to Manor Road. She is also buried in Aston Parish Church.

Click on the image to enlarge

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/26476894

Happy New Year, Peter

Peter what was her name please as my family [dads side] lived in Holte road even before that date and my aunt spoke of many people and maybe I will remember the name. Thanks for the link. Jean.

Peter the name Saunders does ring a bell. I will mention it to Patty in the morning as she lived opposit us in Holte road. Jean.

Here is a 4 generation photo taken in 1930, me, Eric Arthur(baby) , my dad Arthur, his dad also Arthur and his Dad guess what also Arthur. Eric

These are photo's of Pete's nan and granddad on his mothers side with their daughter Vera. It is a long story but he saw these for the first time a short while ago. Hope some of the newer members have photo's of their grandparents too. Jean. Sorry one has gone on twice. Jean.

Great photo. Does the name 'Thomas Hanson' relate to the owner of the photo or is he one of the men? Do you know if they one family group and what might the date be?

Back