• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Parents of our parents.

Hi Baron - Thomas Shelley and Margaret Dixon married in Dec qtr 1855 in Dudley district.

Thomas was a Blacksmith and gives his place of birth as both Wolverhampton in 1861 census and Seasdon Staffs in the 1891 & 1901. He was christened on 19 April 1831 in Wolverhampton (St Peter or Collegiate) according to the IGI. His parents were George and Mary. The family lived in Camden Street in 1841.

Judy

Many thank Judy, thats great. Lets see if I can now find when he can to live in aston?
In that picture my Nan WOOLLEY (nee Shelley) is the lady back row on Thomas's right holding my AUNT Edith ONLY A FEW DAYS OLD.
Thank again
THE BARON

1841 At Camden Street.

1851 Thomas lives with his parents George and Mary at Camden Street. His occupation is Baker, his Dad George is a Retail Brewer.

1861 Thomas and Margaret live in Lichfield Road, Aston. Thomas is an Edge Tool Maker.

1871 They live at 3 Lees (?) Cottages Portland Street, Aston. Thomas is a Blacksmith.

1881 Living at 17 Poole Street, Aston Manor.

1891 Living at 307 Hospital Street.

In nearly all censuses Thomas comes from Seisdon in Staffs.
1901 Thomas is a widower living with his daughter Lydia and husband Albert Woolley. They live at Back 155 Tower Road, Aston Manor.

My Great Grandad, John Webb (b.1870 Aston) with his three eldest daughters- (my great aunts) Clara, Lilian and Florence. The youngest girl, Florence, was born Aston 1902.

They lived at 52 Clifton Road, Aston

THANKS Judy39, for the info on the SHELLEY'S. Back of 155 Tower RD WAS MY BIRTH PLACE TOO. my mom Just happened to be visiting her mom LYIDA WOOLEY(my nan ) at the time I decided to be born.
She had made the trip from Ward End were we lived at the time.
THANKS AGAIN ONE CAN ALWAYS FIND SOMEONE TO HELP ON THIS SITE.

Elly, that is a lovely photo of your granddad and his daughters. My family also lived in Clifton Road from about 1871 to 1930 in No.25 Court, which was a bit further along from your family.

Judy

Thanks Judy, I know it's a bit of a battered photo but it's nice to see what the older Webb family looked like. They lived at 52 Clifton Road until the 1950's, so they perhaps knew your family?? Well it's a nice thought, and I'm sure they knew more of their neighbours than I do!- people don't tend to mix the same now :(

Hi everyone thought I would add some of my family probably around the 1st world war I think they where probably taken in either Durham Road or Newton Road in Sparkhill. My Nan Ethel and granddad George Summers on their Wedding day
If any one can touch up I would be great full

Love the photos Bob! I love this thread, just seeing the formal clothes and the expressions to match :stare:- so different from today :)

ELLY THEY ARE SO KIND ARN'T THEY. MY SON DID ONE A WHILE BACK WHEN MY MOM WAS ALIVE OF FOUR GENERATIONS OF THE tAPLIN FAMILY FRAMED IT AND HUNG IT IN HER LIVING ROOM. UNFORTUNATELY HIS TIME IS PRECIOUS CARING FOR HIS AUTISTIC SON. HE IS GOING TOL LET HIS DAD HAVE HIS EQUIPMENT TO HAVE A GO. BYE. JEAN.

Your very welcome, its great to see faces come to life.

My problem at this time is having lost my old hard drive my best softwear for doing photo clean ups & tints went with it, yet to find one as good.

Thought I'd share these photos of my grandparents....
My grandfather Francis John Petherick was born in 1899. He was a teacher and head of Thornton Rd school between 1949 -1959.

My Grandma Florence Beatrice Winkle was born in 1900. Sadly I never knew her as she died before I was born...but she was. by all accounts , very beautiful. Amongst her accquaintances were Albert Pierrepoint, whom she met whilst singing for prison inmates, and the comedian 'Wee Georgie Wood'.

My grandparents married in Worcester in 1923

Last edited by a moderator:
Linnet I unfortunately too only knew nan on moms side. My dad was the youngest so his parents were so much older. I was lucky to have had nan Pem till I was in my late twenties and she was the first to see our twins. Jean.

Have found yet another photo of my nan with her youngest son Norman and his baby daughter Jill. Norman only passed away 3 years ago. Jean.

Linnet - those are really lovely photos of your family. Your Grandma was very beautiful. Unfortunately I never knew either of my Grandmas as they died before I was born.

I used to be friends with a girl called Veronica Winkle in Handsworth in the 1950s. It is an unusual name - does she ring any bells with you?

Judy

Back