• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise pre development 2014 -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be 78 later this month and although I've kept an eye on developments in the city, I haven't lived there for 54 years. When I left in 1961, the place was in a turmoil, but I expected it to be the start of a complete replan after 15 years of patch and repair following WW2. Alas there followed a load of short termism with no new building expected to last much more than another 50 years, and no overall plan as to how the city as a whole was to develop, just a load of uncompleted microdevelopment. The area around Moor Street still looked like an enormous post-war bombsite three years ago - I haven't visited since. Now Birmingham has a serious financial crisis and the inability to maintain even newly-built services. Is there really any hope for the City and will any building, other than possibly the Town Hall, still be standing in one hundred years time?

Maurice

Anyone know if there'll be any excavation when these buildings come down, or was any done before they went up? Or has any ever been done below these buildings? A lot of history around here. Just being curious. Viv.

Thanks Phil, a very interesting report. So it seems there may be some worthwhile below ground investigation in the north of the zone, the other parts being unlikely to reveal much. Worth keeping an eye on, as there may be some trial trenching done in the north. Intrigued about the very old name of Paradise Close named in a 1553 survey. Viv.

Anyone know if there'll be any excavation when these buildings come down, or was any done before they went up? Or has any ever been done below these buildings? A lot of history around here. Just being curious. Viv.

John Ball's Birmingham Memories site has just very recently added a group of photographs regarding the previous demolition/rebuilding of this very patch of land. Not much to differentiate with the earthworks and dumper trucks but tiny bits of Charles Street do confirm the location.

The new section of John Ball's website is at the very bottom of the Birmingham Walks page (obviously the most recently-numbered) and the photos include some new views of the Soho Road area from the 1960's and 70's.

Hi dek
These toilets are really fetching money and people are buying them we missed the one at acocks green Birmingham
And opened up a a computor access,, there was one in worcestershire which turned into a under takers funeral parlor
So there is every chance they will get the Asking price
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,,

Am I right in thinking the demolition of the Central Library is imminent? Viv.

The development of the "Paradise Circus" area officially started today, 5th January 2015.

However the whole project will be done in stages, so part of it will be knocked down, new buildings built, more buildings knocked down, more building built and so on.

So for example, before they demolish the Copthorne Hotel they need to build another hotel in the area, THEN knock down the old Copthorne, then build a new building on the site of the old Copthorne hotel etc.

However when the actual library is going to be knocked down I am not sure.

Sadly the whole "Paradise" project could take 10 years.

The area around Moor Street still looked like an enormous post-war bombsite three years ago - I haven't visited since.Maurice

Sadly the area next to Moor St station STILL looks like a bomb site.

Of course there were plans to build on it a couple of years ago, but then they announced HS2.

The HS2 station is going to go on the land next to Moor St station (and about half a mile back towards the outer ring road).

So now that area is "blighted" and nothing will be built on it till they start HS2, and I believe that will not be finished for about another 15 years.

just heard on central news that the area is to have 2 new hotels and an office block...disruption with travel will be inevitable and the project will not be finished until 2027 im just trying to figure out in my head the best way to get to the new library once demo starts..

lyn

Last edited:
Traffic today using Paradise Circus Queensway. Had assumed that it would all be blocked off by now!

Same view in February 2013

Paradise Forum is still open to walk through (between Centenary and Chamberlain Square's). But hoardings have now gone up in front of the former restaurants and shops inside!

Fletchers Walk is also still open for walking through (all businesses there have also closed down). But don't think demolition of that will take place for another 2 years!

I note with sadness the a small number of trees have been chopped down all in the name of progress the trees are the ones that are in the way of the demolition of the old library https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/16751972529/

They are not chopping the trees down JUST to aid the demolition of the old library.

The whole area round there is being developed and the site where those trees are will eventually have an office building on it.

The road that runs behind those trees in the video is also being totally removed as part of the redevelopment of the area so you will eventually be able to walk from the town hall across to the Paradise site (without crossing a road !!).

I am sure eventually more trees will be planted to replace those chopped down.

See this web site below giving a plan of the site, Building F will be sited exactly where those trees are.

https://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/the-vision/

all in the name of progress...

If we did not have "progress" then nobody would have invented the video camera you took that video with, Birmingham as a city would not exist, probably the house that you and I live in would not exist, and those trees would never have been planted. They will be replaced.

There is progress and cost cutting. Our pavements are now tarmac - a waste of money -looks very nice for a short time, but I prefered our old slabs that were ok can be re-layed and look just as nice - unlike tarmac, once disturbed or sunk looks a mess. Our trees have also been removed, and after a fight a few have been planted, but on the other side of the road. Unfortunately trees do lose their leaves, but are good for the environment - not only to clean the air, but they helped cut a lot of noise from traffic and aircraft.

I always think mature trees improve the outlook of any area, felling them should be the last resort. Its OK replacing them with saplings later, but they will take 30 years or more to mature unlike buildings which can be erected in a couple of years. Eric

The short life of "developments means that any new trees planted, if they bother, are likely to be uprooted within 20 years before they get to maturity. either that or they trnasplant mature trees (as they did in Reading centre,, and half of them die.

The one thing I notice on my travels is that Birmingham has a vast amount of trees

Plenty of trees in the suburbs and back gardens. Although a lot of back garden trees are getting cut down.

Dual carriageways look nice.

And our parks have woods!

They will probably plant new trees when some of the Paradise buildings are finished. There was also tulip bulbs here.

This was 4 years ago!

My photo record of the site from years ago https://www.flickr.com/photos/ell-r-brown/sets/72157626385385813

My last photo of the site from this January, before the trees got cut down.

Paradise Forum is still open to walk through (between Centenary and Chamberlain Square's). But hoardings have now gone up in front of the former restaurants and shops inside!

Fletchers Walk is also still open for walking through (all businesses there have also closed down). But don't think demolition of that will take place for another 2 years!

Some weeks since the post above was entered. Is it still possible to walk from Chamberlain Square to the Hall of Memory? Thanks. Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes you can still walk through Paradise Forum. But both sides now have hoardings covering where the shops and restaurant entrances were.

Just follow the diversion signs!

Fletchers Walk might still be open on weekdays and Saturday's (but not Sunday's)

There's also this route to the Jewellery Quarter via a soon to go subway (past the Copthorne Hotel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back