• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paradise Development 2022

MWS

from Bham
Building works are still progressing, One Centenary Way looks to be near completion (at least on the outside).

I was in town last week and it was surprising how much space there is around the buildings, they look really close together from the live cameras.

Planning permission has been granted for more open spaces...

...as well as the new hotel earlier in the year.

And a sixth live camera has been added, showing the site of the Octagon.

A concrete base/platform has been laid for the Octagon...

One Centenary Way (still) looks near completion and early work has begun on Three Chamberlain Square (another camera added).

They continue to announce new tenants include this one, who now doubt will charge you a (small) fortune for the experience...

Doesn't seem that much has happened but here's a review of the development for the year...

None of the few new inhabitants seem to be concerned with producing anything useful , unless you consider F1 useful. Seems a lot of waffle to me

The third new building - One Centenary Way - has been completed (sort of). The worst of the 3 for me - I like the first and the second is ok - and when I look at it I think lovely place for pigeons to sit and...

Also the developers/council always like to push 'bringing new jobs' but all the first mentioned tenant seems to be doing is relocating (from Solihull?).

The third new building - One Centenary Way - has been completed (sort of). The worst of the 3 for me - I like the first and the second is ok - and when I look at it I think lovely place for pigeons to sit and...

Also the developers/council always like to push 'bringing new jobs' but all the first mentioned tenant seems to be doing is relocating (from Solihull?).

Just looks like a warehouse racking system.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The building looks like it was built "on the cheap" compared with other cities and particularly those in European cities. The description gives "pure electricity" ?, "agile furniture" - I hope that also applies to the staff. ;) The so called lantern description is laughable. Its feature seems to be a multitude of coloured lights.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Agree it is very ugly and probably built on a cheap modular system that can be duplicated in many places for no extra development costs. I wonder if " SMART access to services, information and facilities throughout its large, 22,000 sq ft floorplates" means you will have to always have a smartphone with you (or a chip inserted into you) to get around?. Probably not, but in the future :eek:

bet that took a really good architect to design that one...my 6 year old grandson could build a more interesting building with his lego :D

Another building soon to start appearing, wonder how it'll look next to the Town Hall...

Another building soon to start appearing, wonder how it'll look next to the Town Hall...

The architects' vision appears to be an office block set in a red cage...
https://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/2023/10/16/nabers-uk-first-for-birmingham/
Link amended to show artist's impression.

Last edited:
All this confirmed my belief that I have become a grumpy old git. Bring back the old Birmingham of which we were proud. However, each to his own

I grew up with Brutalist Birmingham and had an affection for the John Madin external design of the previous library (though I remember the Victorian Library just about too). I guess we will have to see what 'Paradise' looks like when we can walk between the buildings. It isn't just individual designs, but how they fit, or don't fit together.

I don't know who said 'If yow doh like it now, yow kin kum back in a few years when we've knocked it all down agen.' Lots of the city still resembles a building site. But I went to Coventry last week and I still think we've got the edge in architectural design. (Excepting Coventry Cathedral).

There seems to be an obsession with High Rise buildings in Brum now. I hope someone is thinking about adequately funding the Fire Service with suitable equipment and staffing. Also I thought that the need for offices was reducing as workers rethink their lives after covid and continue to work from home.

Development companies care little about the actual needs of the community. This is shown by the fact that housing developments are usually largely the more expensive houses with few that are aimed for fulfilling the housing needs of the country. With office blocks , when they are being/have been built they can be put on the books as expensive assets, even if not being used.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
There seems to be an obsession with High Rise buildings in Brum now. I hope someone is thinking about adequately funding the Fire Service with suitable equipment and staffing. Also I thought that the need for offices was reducing as workers rethink their lives after covid and continue to work from home.
Yes, BCC policy changed and a lot of high rise is planned in certain zones including the city centre. I think more would have been built but for Covid. There is supposed to be lots of trees and some green space as well. Glenn Howells and The Big City Plan are informative. As ever the Birmingham Post is a good read. The youngest of us will see how it works out!

One Centenary Way appears to have been completed. Difficult to read the guff without being cynical...

Three Chamberlain Square is progressing and the Octagon already looks enormous and there's still 20 storeys to go.

Also on one of the cameras you can see that the scaffolding is finally coming off the building on the corner of Paradise St and Suffolk St, now called Paradise View - more apartments.

Back