• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oxygen Street, Aston

D

Darthdc

My grandparents lived at 10 Oxygen Street from 1919. The street no longer exists (disappeared through development around 2001). It was situated between Love Lane and Lister Street. Would like any photos of the street from around that time. Thanks

“I have a particular recollection of explorations to the right and left of a street called, no doubt by a builder in an ironical mood, Oxygen Street. But of all these homes it can be said at least that the downstairs room, which is kitchen, living-room and workshop combined, is always fairly comfortable. On the horrors of the upstairs room where the family sleeps I need not dwell. Bedclothes are unknown; the filthy mattresses swarm with vermin.”

Child Slaves of Britain, RH Shepard (1905)

My grandparents lived at 10 Oxygen Street from 1919. The street no longer exists (disappeared through development around 2001). It was situated between Love Lane and Lister Street. Would like any photos of the street from around that time. Thanks
One house away - 11- 18 Oxygen Street - Picture Credit Library of Birmingham.
11- 18 Oxygen St.JPG

Hi all i have purchased and retain a copy of the 1901 census for Oxygen Street and surrounding streets, if anyone wants any information just drop me a message with the address and i can return the names living at that address in 1901, just thought it might help someone.

One house away - 11- 18 Oxygen Street - Picture Credit Library of Birmingham.
View attachment 135972
doing a bit of research for someone who had rellies at no 9 in 1881 the photo above says it shows numbers 11 to 18 but clearly we can see more houses than that all be it in the distance...does anyone know if the numbering went from left to right or right to left..if right to left then no 9 must be showing if left to right then its just out of shot...thanks oh also could anyone date the photo

lyn

Last edited:
1891 census lists no. 2 (first house) and before it Love Lane, so that may imply that the numbers went low to high from Love Lane to Lister St. If so then no. 18 would be on the left. Also the houses appear to only go up to no.19, so if they were the other way round then there should be higher numbers.

Map (from 1889) seems to match the picture, cross being the first house shown and the line in front of the taller houses...

0 - Oxygen St.jpg

So perhaps no. 10 was the first of the smaller houses on the far right (door and window) in the photo and no. 9 next (window only). The first (or last) 2 houses of Lister Place on the map.

Last edited:
doing a bit of research for someone who had rellies at no 9 in 1881 the photo above says it shows numbers 11 to 18 but clearly we can see more houses than that all be it in the distance...does anyone know if the numbering went from left to right or right to left..if right to left then no 9 must be showing if left to right then its just out of shot...thanks oh also could anyone date the photo

lyn
Hi Lyn looks like MWS might has answered the numbering as for 9 Oxygen street on the 1881 census see below,
PatrickRookHeadMarriedMale601821Shoe makerCork, Cork, Ireland
MaryRookWifeMarriedFemale601821NoneCork, Cork, Ireland

Transcript of Mary's record​

First name(s) Mary
Street Oxygen Street
Last name Rook
Parish Aston
Relationship Wife
County Warwickshire
Marital status Married
Country England
Sex Female
Registration district Aston
Age 60
Sub district Duddeston
Age as transcribed 60
Archive reference RG11
Birth year 1821
Piece number 3029
Birth town Cork
Folio 58
Birth town as transcribed CORK
Page 25
Birth county Cork
Schedule 484
Birth place Ireland
Record set 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Birth place other as transcribed IRELAND
Category Census, land & surveys
Occupation None
Subcategory Census
Full address 9, Oxygen Street, Aston, Warwickshire, England
Collections from Great Britain, England
House number 9

1891 census lists no. 2 (first house) and before it Love Lane, so that may imply that the numbers went low to high from Love Lane to Lister St. If so then no. 18 would be on the left. Also the houses appear to only go up to no.19, so if they were the other way round then there should be higher numbers.

Map (from 1889) seems to match the picture, cross being the first house shown and the line in front of the taller houses...

View attachment 187232

So perhaps no. 10 was the first of the smaller houses on the far right (door and window) in the photo and no. 9 next (window only). The first (or last) 2 houses of Lister Place on the map.
hi mark just so that i am clear could you just put a small arrow on the photo showing where you think no 9 is and would anyone have a date for the photo...thank you

lyn

Last edited:
11- 18 Oxygen St.JPG

Only surmising Lyn but I'd say that the red arrow points to the door of no. 10 and the green arrow points to the windows of no. 9, with the door just off the picture. The taller houses being 18 to 11.

thats is great mark..its about where i thought or hoped it could be...many thanks if anyone can date this one i would be grateful

lyn

thats is great mark..its about where i thought or hoped it could be...many thanks if anyone can date this one i would be grateful

lyn
Hi Lyn doing a bit of research to see if i could pin a date down for the photo, however looking at the photo most houses where empty which kind of fits in with with the 1921 census when only houses 7 8 9 & 10 are showing as occupied, but then there is no Oxygen Street listed in 1939 so i assume they were demolished sometime between 21 and 39. Searched for the name Mr Kelly on the fly post but cant find anything that fits, Will keep looking and let you know if i find anything.

Steve

many thanks steve i think the way the ladies and children are dressed gives us a clue but even then i am not that good

lyn

Back