• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our childhood toys

As a kid I recall the Mousetrap game. The advertisement campaign made it look amazingly good. It was one on my Christmas list I never got. But when I managed to play it at a friends house it was quite a letdown. The game seemed to go on forever to assemble it on the board, then very rarely if at all did it work like the advertisements showed it.

As a kid I recall the Mousetrap game. The advertisement campaign made it look amazingly good. It was one on my Christmas list I never got. But when I managed to play it at a friends house it was quite a letdown. The game seemed to go on forever to assemble it on the board, then very rarely if at all did it work like the advertisements showed it.
true we had one and after a while we got fed up fidling with itand it went in the cupboard then the loft

Had Mousetrap as you said looked great on TV but when assembled the cage part always fell down at the slightest touch. Anyone remember Waddingtons Table Soccer where the ball was a counter and the game was tiddlywinks with goals 1960s i remember.

Had Mousetrap as you said looked great on TV but when assembled the cage part always fell down at the slightest touch. Anyone remember Waddingtons Table Soccer where the ball was a counter and the game was tiddlywinks with goals 1960s i remember.
I found if you stood the green man back to front he would flip in to the barrel and me mum and dad would shout mouse trap!. The cat looked on in disdain because we had woken him up. We used to play on a Sunday afternoon after dinner.

a good car came was scalextrx the only prob was the hand rheostat controller they burned and made bad contacts,so not much control over the cars they went to fast and shot off the track or did not go at all, if they had speed controllors like they have today they would have been great.

In the 1950's I had the Escalado game where you clamped a ratchet thing to one end of the table and pulled a canvas race track out and clamped the end of it. It worked by turning a handle which vibrated the track and made the horses move along. I think the horses were made of lead but later versions would be made of plastic. Escalado game
Gosh that's a blast from the past!
We had one of those, Dad used to lay it out on his wooden wallpaper table rather than the dining room one :laughing:

In the 1950's I had the Escalado game where you clamped a ratchet thing to one end of the table and pulled a canvas race track out and clamped the end of it. It worked by turning a handle which vibrated the track and made the horses move along. I think the horses were made of lead but later versions would be made of plastic. Escalado game
There was one of those some time ago on the repair shop

Back