• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

On the steps by City Hall...

sarunte43

master brummie
Can anyone tell me if the statue on the steps leading up to the museum and city hall and archives has a name? Took photos of the 'man'. Some children in my photo were thoroughly enjoying the book he appears to be reading....

The original statue of Thomas Attwood had pride of place for many years in New Street at the junction of Stephenson Place, but the same as always alterations forced a move. I think he resided for a while at one of the parks in Balsall Heath if I remember correctly it was Calthorpe Park, but I am open to correction on that.

Then in the 70's it was decided to move him again to an area of greenery (Larches Green) in Sparkbrook near to his original home. This area by then was populated by a high proportion of immigrants who hadn't got a clue who the great man was. To say that the statue wasn't looked after is to put it mildly. Eventually after much misuse and damage it was removed to storage. Its a mystery to me why they went to the expense of having another memorial statue made when they could have restored the original.

These images show the old statue in New St, The damage done in Larches Green, and the new statue

Phil

CityStephensonPlacefromCorporationSt.jpg
ThomasAttwoodLarchesGreen.jpg
ThomasAttwoodVictoriaSquare.jpg

If the original statue still exists then a suitable place for it might be Grove Park Harborne where he lived when he prevented at political riot over the franchise in c1830

I don't know anything about T. Attwood, except saw the statue back in July. The children were sitting on the steps beside him and seemed to enjoy 'listening' to him read to them.
Being a foreigner I hope I am excused for not knowing more about him. He and the children did make a fabulous photo though...
SR

Hello there, sarunte43,
Could you please post your photo so that we could all appreciate it? It sounds a fun photo to me. Thanks, db

Yes, it has ..... indeed a fabulous photo. You were either extremely fast or lucky to capture this magical moment. Did the young girl think it was written in Braille? Only joking! Well done, David

Hi surante33: Great photo of Thomas Attwood. You can find out more about him at the many links via Google ie Thomas Attwood-Birmingham will find them. I have a photo which I will try and find. I was taking some flowers to a friend and came across Thomas Attwood on the steps. I placed the flowers in his arms and took a photo.

On this image that I took earlier this year, it looks like he has a drink in his hand.

Terry

Back