• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oldknow Road Small Heath

N

Neville Philpott

I am trying to find out about Oldknow Road in Small Heath.

Looking to find out when houses were first being built on the road
and whether they were local authority properties or privately built.

Any thought, as usual, much appreciated.

regards Neville..

The road is not shown on the 1890 map (which was probably surveyed around 1887). On the 1903 map it is there on the edge of fields, and not all the houses there now had been built, there being two gaps on the eastern side. One of these seems from google to be oldknow junior school and so presumably was never houses. The Kellys for 1900 doesn't mention it, but the 1904 edition does include some houses on it. So I think you could say construction started between 1900 and 1903 , with a few houses after 1904. From google street view they certainly seem to be privately built.
mike

I'm trying to find a street called "old man road" in birmingham can't find any trace I think its in yardley area
Paul (?) I'm looking at 2006 Birmingham A-Z , no Old man Road, also looked at old A-Z which when new cost 6/- ( six shillings no date ) still no Old Man Road.

If can help in any other way please contact me.

Nick Phillips

Paul (?) I'm looking at 2006 Birmingham A-Z , no Old man Road, also looked at old A-Z which when new cost 6/- ( six shillings no date ) still no Old Man Road.

If can help in any other way please contact me.

Nick Phillips
Thanx for looking it must be a mistake on the census another member thinks it may be old known road which is in the area

Thanx for looking it must be a mistake on the census another member thinks it may be old known road which is in the area

The people listed on Old Man Road on the 1939 register appear to match people listed on Oldknow Road on the 1939 electoral roll.

Cripps at 267, Bird at 271, Culliford at 179, etc

So looks like a transcript error.

Last edited:
The people listed on Old Man Road on the 1939 register appear to match people listed on Oldknow Road on the 1939 electoral roll.

Cripps at 267, Bird at 271, Culliford at 179, etc

So looks like a transcript error.
thanx that's confirmed it I think my dad was born at 281 in 1940

Paul (?), when doing my own family tree I've spent days looking at one name. I knew my grand father was Charles born 1864.
I could not work out why another Charles (my uncle) kept coming up born in 1889. in 1913 they were living next door to each other.

If you have access to any birth, marriage and even death certificates you may find your father and also address of not only your father but even brothers or sisters if you have any. But be careful with marriage certificate they don't always give correct ages.

Hope this was informative.

Nick Phillips.

If it's Oldknow Road in SmallHeath (off the Coventry Road) there was a labour exchange, so-called, at the end by the railway. We used to creep up a passageway at the side and sit on the edge of a 20 foot wall overhanging the railway trainspotting. No fences in those days but it was 65+ years ago!

Back