• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oldest Post Box in Birmingham?

may not be the oldest but it is rare to see one

Great info, how many times have I been down Dog Kennel Lane!!!!!!

I've been interested in post boxes for some time now. I've just started to take pics of them.

This one is the last issue of Queen Elizabeth II, it's not in Birmingham, it's in Bromsgrove. Interesting as the last issues had stainless steel doors.

Attachments

• 20230619_151119.jpg
    20230619_151119.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 6
Just doing some research and I've come across this plaque. Interestingly I was outside Hawkes the blacksmith in Digbeth yesterday, could it be the same Hawkes that is mentioned in the plaque?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_202722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_202722_Chrome.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Where is the UK's oldest post box? The country's oldest surviving post box is at Barnes Cross, Holwell, near Sherborne, Dorset. Dating from 1853, it features an unusual octagonal design, crafted by John M Butt & Co, of Gloucester. Standing at 5ft tall, it has a narrow, vertical posting slot, with a swinging flap.24 Aug 2020

1691995898636.png1691996134729.png

not in brum
This postbox in Treorchy is being swallowed by a tree This post box is now used by squirrels rather then the local postie
1691998638157.png

Antique Post Box. This Victorian post box, although in need of a lick of paint, seemed to be in daily use despite its situation.

1691998948250.png

Last edited:
Where is the UK's oldest post box? The country's oldest surviving post box is at Barnes Cross, Holwell, near Sherborne, Dorset. Dating from 1853, it features an unusual octagonal design, crafted by John M Butt & Co, of Gloucester. Standing at 5ft tall, it has a narrow, vertical posting slot, with a swinging flap.24 Aug 2020

View attachment 183192View attachment 183194
We have two of the VR hexagonal post boxes in the area of London I live in...

Stoke Newington is home to two rare hexagonal “Penfold” pillar boxes, which are Grade II listed. They are named after its designer John Wornham Penfold, and installed between 1866 and 1878.

we did have an Edward VII in Moseley but...
In 2002, English Heritage and Royal Mail, with the approval of
the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, agreed a joint
policy for the retention and conservation of Royal Mail post
boxes.

Royal Mail discussed replacement with Residents Association and they managed to source an identical Edward VII post box which they fully restored and installed. Well done Royal Mail!

Oh my goodness, that's really excellent. If you could ask around or ask at the post office, I'd love to see if they have a blog. I'm into crochet and knitting. Thank you for posting that too.

I'm now wondering if there are any post box toppers in Birmingham?

My next trip to Birmingham is going to require me stopping for lunch, I'll be parking up to take so many pics of postboxes!!!!!

There is a map that shows the location of the postboxes. My geography of Birmingham is not great, sorry to admit.

What could be the most central postbox in Birmingham, what is actual center of the City Centre?

Just doing some research and I've come across this plaque. Interestingly I was outside Hawkes the blacksmith in Digbeth yesterday, could it be the same Hawkes that is mentioned in the plaque?

Back