• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Hi Bernie, Seeing the car in post 2901, DOP 631, which I think is a Ford 8, brought back memories, I learned to drive on my Dad's Standard 9 which was DOP 731 !!

Cheers Reg

Hi Bob Bedford vans seemed to be the workhorse of the time plenty about then , they must have been registered very close together Reg

Hi Bob Bedford vans seemed to be the workhorse of the time plenty about then , they must have been registered very close together Reg

Bedford, Commer, Morris Commercial, Denis, I think were the names of vans then and then the Ford Tranie came along and pushed most of them out of sight.

The transit must have been the biggest ever selling van David , Erdington High Street shopping centre has certainly taken a turn for the worse Brumgum but then so have most of the others

The transit must have been the biggest ever selling van David , Erdington High Street shopping centre has certainly taken a turn for the worse Brumgum but then so have most of the others
I visit King's Heath and Moseley quite a bit and they are definitely more inviting than Erdington with farmers Markets and other regular events and an increase in independent shops:emmersed: Even Acocks Green isn't as depressing as Erdington.

https://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/moseleygallery

M
oseley on ebay..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/moseley-birmingham

I agree Erdington has probably suffered more than the rest Brumgum but none are exactly thriving Acocks Green and Kings Heath are pretty dire to , far too many charity shops and much more competition from new supermarkets don'tt help

Smashing video of Old Kings Heath..
[video=youtube;yp6X8aLfbcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp6X8aLfbcA[/video]

Smashing video Brumgum. My mom used to go to school at the Institute when she was about 11/12. This would have been in the 1920's when the area was less built up. The family had moved from a court in Aston to a new house in Bromwall Road, Billesley, and she used to tell me that she would button up her boots and walk across Billesley Common to school at the Instutute on the High Street.

Judy

Bernie do you have any photos of Devonshire Street in Winson Green, Avenue Road or Headingley Road in Handsworth and the lower half of Hingeston Street? These are for my own family trees. Thanks Carol

Carolina,

I can do you a photo of numbers 86 - 89 Devonshire St, one of St Augustine School in Avenue St and I have many of Hingeston St, but which end is the lower end?

Attachments

• Handsworth Avenue Rd St Augustine RC school.jpg
    Handsworth Avenue Rd St Augustine RC school.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Hockley Hingeston St 1968.JPG
    Hockley Hingeston St 1968.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Winson Green 86 - 89 Devonshire St .jpg
    Winson Green 86 - 89 Devonshire St .jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 77
Phil 1/32 Hingeston Street which is the lower end by the horse trough (that was). 185 Devonshire Street which is much further up _ I think there was a pub on the opposite side of the road, but I cant remember the name. Thanks

Phil I have just checked and in actual fact my mother was born 4/115 Devonshire Street, so in fact not too far away from one of your photos. They moved further up the road later. Carol

Carolina

This photo of the lower section of Hingeston St should show number 32. I have also attached a photo of a back court at the rear of 31 which was across the road, but I should hang on to it as I can see no back courts on the stretch of Hingeston Rd opposite and these photograph compilers are notorious for getting addresses wrong in these photo books.

Perhaps Mike will have a look and see if he can reconcile it with the maps that he has.

Attachments

• Winson Green  r of 31 Hingeston St  1966.jpg
    Winson Green r of 31 Hingeston St 1966.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Hockley Hingeston St - Ellen St 1968 .jpg
    Hockley Hingeston St - Ellen St 1968 .jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for posting the photo on No.2892 it shows Ray's first barber shop next to the British Lion, I am lucky enough to have the original, given to Ray by a customer.

Wish I could see a photo of Alma Crecsent Vauxhall from way back when. I lived there when I was a little nipper.

Thankyou, Have a nice day, Wally.

Sorry to be pedantic Carfol, but is 1.32 Hindgeston st, no 1 back 32 , or no 1 court 32 ?. They are close, but 1 court 32 is approx behind no 36 and no 32 is approx in front of court 33

Thanks Brumgum, I have seen those Pic's, but they don't show Alma Crecsent between Dolman st and Inkerman st Where I lived at #27 which was the front house of the yard.
Thanks, Wally.

Re. post #2922, Thanks for that Berniw. There are a few others taken from that same window in different years. There is another..a painting of the same (I believe) Guide Post from the actual Green in earlier years. Might be on here somewhere or deleted. Maybe I can find it.

Mike, So would the photo I found Carolina still show the frontage of the house at the front of 32 Court and was there a Court at the rear of 33?

Back