• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Well it seems we won't find a definite answer until someone reads this thread who knows what happened to it. In the meantime lets continue up Bristol Rd or White Hill at this point as it was once known into Northfield.

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd Grosvenor Shopping Centre 1971.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd Grosvenor Shopping Centre 1971.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Northfield Bristol Rd opp Travellers Rest .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd opp Travellers Rest .jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Northfield Bristol Rd South 1955 (2).jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd South 1955 (2).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Northfield Bristol Rd White hill 1910.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd White hill 1910.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 131
I always remember as a boy coming into Northfield on the Bristol Road, was the "Royal Orthopedic Hospital" in a big old house on the LHS.
paul

Paul

In post #561 the second photo is the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital also known as The Woodlands.

That's the name, I could not remember, "The Woodlands", thanks Phil, if you can, can you find one of "Wrensons" in Northfield Bristol Road, and the swimming baths and ACF hut next door, facing that big black and white pub on the Bristol road.
paul

Thank you Liz, I was only thinking of you last week when re-looking at the Harborne thread, and realised we had't spoken (so to speak) for some time. I hope that you are keeping well, and your family.
Kind Regards
Paul Stacey

Hi Paul, yes were well enjoying some long awaited sunshine, hope your well too.

Paul

All I can do you is a couple of interior shots of Northfield Baths which I think I only ever used once, one afternoon after a session in a local pub with my brother in law. We challenged each other to a race to see who was the best swimmer, I of course won.

Phil

Attachments

• Northfield Northfield Baths.jpg
    Northfield Northfield Baths.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Northfield Northfield Swimming Baths 1978.JPG
    Northfield Northfield Swimming Baths 1978.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 77
Right back outside and into the sunshine, a few more images of Bristol Rd at Northfield.

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Northfield Bristol Rd (2).JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd (2).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Northfield Bristol Rd 1969 .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd 1969 .jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Northfield Bristol Rd site of Ash Bank Farm .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd site of Ash Bank Farm .jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Northfield Bristol Rd South 1955.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd South 1955.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 142
Nearly there phil, on #579, photo three, centre shop was "Wrensons" in 1961 anyway, thanks for the bath's photo's remember it well, great thread.

Hi All,

I did not know that the bridge had been demolished. I used it a lot when I lived in Selly Oak until 2005. I can only put forward a theory. It is made of concrete and concrete needs continual maintainance. Spaghetti Junction is reported to cost £2m per year to maintain. Perhaps they decided the bridge would not be worth the cost. Also from the bridge there was a direct view into the windows on the first floor of Bournville Police Station. Perhaps it was thought that there was a security risk.

Old Boy

Still in Northfield and still on Bristol Rd a few more images of the village.

Attachments

• Northfield Huins Corner Bristol Rd - Bell  Hill .jpg
    Northfield Huins Corner Bristol Rd - Bell Hill .jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Northfield Bristol Rd c 1958 .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd c 1958 .jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Northfield Bristol Rd Nr Rochester Rd c1913.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd Nr Rochester Rd c1913.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Northfield Bristol Rd South - Church Hill c1996.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd South - Church Hill c1996.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 151
  • Northfield Frankly Beeches Rd (Cock Lane).jpg
    Northfield Frankly Beeches Rd (Cock Lane).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 142
I would agree with previous statement, funny to see Frankly Beeches Road again but not as I remember it, or Bell Hill , but such a though jerking thread though.
paul

Aston Lad

Once again as I was saying just recently on another thread I have no doubt you are correct about the wrong date. It never pays to put too much faith in information that comes with an old photo unless you know it to be true. If the information is important then it is always best to double check.

Many was the time I used to study the buildings at the Junction of Bristol Road and Bell Hill whilst going between Lucas GKS and Longbridge. Those lights were the bane of my life.

Aston Lad

Once again as I was saying just recently on another thread I have no doubt you are correct about the wrong date. It never pays to put too much faith in information that comes with an old photo unless you know it to be true. If the information is important then it is always best to double check.

It doesn't really matter Phil, unless its to prove a point or something, the photo's are great and that is what matters....

The last few of Northfield before we move on down Bristol Rd to Longbridge.

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Northfield Bell Inn Bristol Rd Northfield  (2).jpg
    Northfield Bell Inn Bristol Rd Northfield (2).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Northfield Black Horse.jpg
    Northfield Black Horse.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Northfield Bristol Rd - Frankley Beeches Rd.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd - Frankley Beeches Rd.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 141
  • Northfield Bristol Rd Toll House 1601 - 1923 .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd Toll House 1601 - 1923 .jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 130
On Bristol Rd South now and here are a few images between Northfield an Longbridge.

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd South Nr Sylvian Ave  1954.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd South Nr Sylvian Ave 1954.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Longbridge Bristol Rd South Danilo Cinema.JPG
    Longbridge Bristol Rd South Danilo Cinema.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 130
  • Northfield Bristol Rd - Mill Lane Kalamazoo.JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd - Mill Lane Kalamazoo.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Northfield Bristol Rd Dirty Dicks Garage .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd Dirty Dicks Garage .jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Northfield Bristol Rd South 1964.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd South 1964.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 129
I have driven through to Turves Green by going left off the main road into the Kalamazoo turning,back in the late 70's,i'm sure Longbridge conservative club is/was there,well a club of some sort anyway.

hi all
Yes the conservative club is still there the other side of the ford with the very low bridge.
This photo was taken about 9 months ago.

SL381826.jpg
SL381827.jpg

Stars

Now we are reaching Longbridge and the factory that started out in life as The Austin Motor Co.

Attachments

• Longbridge Austin Motor Co c1920.JPG
    Longbridge Austin Motor Co c1920.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Longbridge Austin Works.jpg
    Longbridge Austin Works.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Longbridge Bristol Rd South - Lickey Rd (2).jpg
    Longbridge Bristol Rd South - Lickey Rd (2).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Longbridge Bristol Road South Tessall Garage.jpg
    Longbridge Bristol Road South Tessall Garage.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Longbridge Bristol Road South.jpg
    Longbridge Bristol Road South.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 159
Hi the smiths.

I was passing the ticket Office at longbridge so i thought i would take a photo and post it. lucky i did, as i see the demolition
were there the other day.

IMG00035-20120604-0852.jpg

Regards stars

Thank-you so much for for the photo you truly are a Star, Stars.

I notice some-one has taken the lettering of the front that indicated it was a Ticket Office perhaps Phill may have a older photo to post. So sad its all going to be just rubble soon so once again many thanks for takeing your time out and photograhing this before all is lost.

No problem the smiths, yes i noticed the lettering had gone. I also noticed
that the sign from the old mill pub is now hanging on a gardening shop next
door to where the pub was. So who knows perhaps the Ticket office sign
may turn up somewhere.

regards Stars

Hi Stars,

I must say I don't remember the old mill pub, next time I go to Birmingham on the bus I will look out for the sign you mentioned. I know there was a big pub on the opposite side but can't for the life of me remember the name of it as the song goes All this talk of getting old is bringing me down my friend.

Regards....................

Hi Stars,

I must say I don't remember the old mill pub, next time I go to Birmingham on the bus I will look out for the sign you mentioned. I know there was a big pub on the opposite side but can't for the life of me remember the name of it as the song goes All this talk of getting old is bringing me down my friend.

Regards....................
The Old Mill Pub was in Turves Green was demolished a couple of years ago and a Co-op supper store has taken its place.Dek

Back