• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Annie

Here is one of River Street and 3 of the bottom of Camp Hill before the flyover or did you want them with the flyover?

Phil

Attachments

• Bordesley River St.JPG
    Bordesley River St.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Deritend - Camp Hill.JPG
    Deritend - Camp Hill.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 208
  • Bordesley Coventry Rd - Camp Hill.jpg
    Bordesley Coventry Rd - Camp Hill.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Camp hill Nr Junction With Coventry Rd.jpg
    Camp hill Nr Junction With Coventry Rd.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 235
carolina,the pub in picture 3 is The Salutation.
Phil,sorry to be pernickety but isn't picture 1 Constitution Hill.moss

Carolina

I'm sure the OC is on the corner of Livery Street and Edmund Street. The pub in the photo would have been the Salutation.

Attachments

• City Salutation Snow Hill .jpg
    City Salutation Snow Hill .jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 117
Mossg

Yes you are right it is Constitution Hill as the Cedar Club clearly shows, but as I am heading up that way with my next batch of photos I thought it would hardly matter and the tag on the photo says Constitution Hill.

Phil

Annie

Here is one of River Street and 3 of the bottom of Camp Hill before the flyover or did you want them with the flyover?

Phil

Great Phil .... the third one is nearly there - but it shows the back/side entrance to Dowding & Mills, the main factory was actually on Camp Hill.

The third photo is of Coventry Road/Camp Hill - if you could just go up Camp Hill a bit past those shops and Dowding & Mills on the left (towards Sparkhill) .....

Cheers! Annie

Annie

Phil

..... Phil - picture 2 shows the petrol garage - which was opposite our house ... Move up and round to the left a bit!

I'm racking my brain trying to think of the name of that hilly street. On the left hand side of that hilly street was 'Alwayse'. Always faster for a castor'. There was a pub at the top on the left hand side called The Adam & Eve.

Annie

Will these be any better for you?

Attachments

• Camp Hill.JPG
    Camp Hill.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Bordesley High St - Camp Hill - Coventry Rd (2).JPG
    Bordesley High St - Camp Hill - Coventry Rd (2).JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Bordesley High St - Camp Hill.JPG
    Bordesley High St - Camp Hill.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Camp Hill 1948 .jpg
    Camp Hill 1948 .jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Camp Hill Flyover (2).JPG
    Camp Hill Flyover (2).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 238
Thanks a million, Phil. Top marks. Absolutely brilliant, I'm really grateful. I especially like picture 5 - the last terrace house on the right was our family home.

Big kiss xx thanks very much!

After reaching the bottom of Snow hill we can start to make our way up Constitution Hill.

Attachments

• Hockley Constitution Hill Northwood St 1973 .jpg
    Hockley Constitution Hill Northwood St 1973 .jpg
    129 KB · Views: 218
  • City Snow Hill  Constitution Hill[1].jpg
    City Snow Hill Constitution Hill[1].jpg
    61 KB · Views: 215
  • City Snow Hill Yardleys Constitution Hill.jpg
    City Snow Hill Yardleys Constitution Hill.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Hockley Constitution Hill - Howard St 1966.JPG
    Hockley Constitution Hill - Howard St 1966.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Hockley Constitution Hill (2).jpg
    Hockley Constitution Hill (2).jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 227
carolina

I believe there was a YMCA hostel on Soho Rd and something to do with the YWCA on Soho Hill.

Phil wasnt the YMCA around that area?

Yes, it was next to Yardleys.
They had quite a large hall inside and I went to a couple of dances in there back in the late 60's. I also sat an internal Civil Service exam in there!

The building is still there, after the YMCA it was some sort of hostel for men run by some other body. I think it's closed at the moment - being refurbished. I will have a look next time I am up in Brum as I pass it on the bus to my parents house.

pic of yardleys..as already said the ymca building is just a tad further up...

lyn

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more images of Constitution Hill before we move on to Great Hampton Street.

Attachments

• Hockley Constitution Hill.JPG
    Hockley Constitution Hill.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 161
  • s.jpg
    s.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Hockley Constitution Hill Hen & Chickens.JPG
    Hockley Constitution Hill Hen & Chickens.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 152
  • Hockley Constitution Hill Library.JPG
    Hockley Constitution Hill Library.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Hockley Constitution Hill Taylor Challen.jpg
    Hockley Constitution Hill Taylor Challen.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 146
Smashing pics Phil - the second one is to me, the most interesting as it is quite early. Do you have any idea just exactly this was on Consitution Hill? I am hoping to eventually find out just where my gt gt gt grandparents lived - they were in a court which (memory fading here) appeared to be near Water Street. This pic gives us an idea of what it would have looked like mid to late 1800's (I am assuming) as it is cobbled, but would like to know its exact location.

#641 picture 2 I have a vague recollection of a faggot and pea cafe somewhere on the right of this picture! (Or was it further up Snow Hill?)

Hi Rob, You are wright there was a faggot and pea cafe on the right just past Lesser's the Taylors The Cafe had high back booths and they served the faggots and peas in basins with a thick piece of bread. My mother would take me and my sister there on a saturday on our home to Tower Street.. Back in the mid 1950's

Regards Pete

Shortie

In reality I have no idea, but if forced I would take a guess at Nr the junction of Great Hampton Row, but only because of the street name plate that is in evidence on the photo.

Phil
Do you think the sign says Greast Hampton Row ? I tried to sharpen it up and seem to have got "Hill" at the bottom (see below) not very certain though. I had possibly paced it as to the right of the junction with Bond St (see map). No 47 in 1899 &1900 was the Globe Express Ltd recieving office & Birmingham Parcels Delivery co receiving office, which would fit with the building on the right In 1903 this has gone, but no 59 then was a dining rooms, which could well have had a Frys chocolate advert accross the front. Nothing very certain though.

Mike

possibly_constitution_hill_sign.jpg

map_c_1889__nos_272C_47___51_lower_constitution_hill.jpg

Phil's third photo in post # 652 looks like the Constitution Hill Library.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340040851.378614.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340040887.594716.jpg

Didn't realise there was once a library on Constitution Hill. Here's the link to the Birmingham Council website from which the two photos were copied.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Lib-Central-Archives-and-Heritage%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092759810&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper

Apologies but don't seem to be able to paste the link.

Viv.

Back