• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

View attachment 86781rear of no 4 graham st 1950s...although the caption does not say i will stick my neck out here and say that this must be the graham st near the jewellery quarter as these are not the houses that still stand in graham st lozells..

Families were obviously still living here, but the rubbish seems to be piling up. Now why didn't they do something about the rubbish? They seem to have taken pride in their houses, so why not clear the rubbish? Most of that could either be re-used or burnt in a big bonfire. Maybe they'd lost pride in the place.

I have a question: what's the small semi-circular structure near the house? A dog kennel, or a place for coal? Viv.

View attachment 86780staniforth st off corporation st dated...1969
Smashing pic Lyn - The house on the right looks so neat with those elegant net curtains, although I would be worried about that window box dropping down. I was looking at the small window and noticed that the brickwork to the left of the entry is not in line with the brickwork of the house on the left, and although the doorways are level, the windows are not. It could be that the houses were not built at the same time.

astoness
fab photos my aunt and uncle live in kywicks lane in the 50/60 and my husbands mother and family lived in wellesley street
for many years so it nice to see photos of the streets
josie

Families were obviously still living here, but the rubbish seems to be piling up. Now why didn't they do something about the rubbish? They seem to have taken pride in their houses, so why not clear the rubbish? Most of that could either be re-used or burnt in a big bonfire. Maybe they'd lost pride in the place.

I have a question: what's the small semi-circular structure near the house? A dog kennel, or a place for coal? Viv.

hi viv..could be the rubbish was being collected for bonfire night or that its old stuff thrown out of houses already vacated for demolision....i believe the semi circular strutures were built during the war...i think to get out of the cellars...sure i read that somewhere and ive seen quite a few of them in old pics and somewhere in the back of my mind i think one still exists in one of the streets in newtown...think my bro will know where so i must go a hunting for it...

lyn

astoness
fab photos my aunt and uncle live in kywicks lane in the 50/60 and my husbands mother and family lived in wellesley street
for many years so it nice to see photos of the streets
josie

josie i lived in villa st just a min away from wellesley st...did you live in bsw as ive posted lots of pics of there on the forum..

lyn

astoness
i lived at 53 BSW next door to the penns
i had a very good school friend who lived not far from me but for the life of me i cant remember the street ( old age ) all i remember is i went down wellesley street crossed farm street down onother street and there was a little shop on the corner her name was linda downs we stayed in touch for meny years untill she died at the age of 45 if if anybody mentioned the street name i would know it josie

astoness
i lived at 53 BSW next door to the penns
i had a very good school friend who lived not far from me but for the life of me i cant remember the street ( old age ) all i remember is i went down wellesley street crossed farm street down onother street and there was a little shop on the corner her name was linda downs we stayed in touch for meny years untill she died at the age of 45 if if anybody mentioned the street name i would know it josie
josie ive just looked at my 1940s map of the area..would your friend have lived in ventnor road...

lyn

hi viv..could be the rubbish was being collected for bonfire night or that its old stuff thrown out of houses already vacated for demolision....i believe the semi circular strutures were built during the war...i think to get out of the cellars...sure i read that somewhere and ive seen quite a few of them in old pics and somewhere in the back of my mind i think one still exists in one of the streets in newtown...think my bro will know where so i must go a hunting for it...

lyn

I can't see it? where is it please? I thought you ment the bricked up doorway. Can only see 2 dustbins. My neighbour had a half circle dustbin and it was very small. Nico

I can't see it? where is it please? I thought you ment the bricked up doorway. Can only see 2 dustbins. My neighbour had a half circle dustbin and it was very small. Nico

Nico, I think you are looking at the wrong post. Look at post 1887

astoness no it wasnt ventnor rd i am sure it began with a G ( it wasnt guest st ) the silly thing is i could walk there now in my mind i know she lived next door to the shop that was on the corner a mother and daughter ran it josie

astoness no it wasnt ventnor rd i am sure it began with a G ( it wasnt guest st ) the silly thing is i could walk there now in my mind i know she lived next door to the shop that was on the corner a mother and daughter ran it josie

josie the only other one i can see near to farm st is great king street

lyn

View attachment 86808 Cook St Nechells 1968. That wall looks a tad dangerous.

Looks to me like some of those kids had just escaped from the interior of the said wall:cower:.

I know it's sad that so many communities were devastated by the mass demolition of the sixties but the more you look at pictures such as this you realize that a good portion of the city was falling down and drastic action was called for. Sad also that the solution never worked or captured the community spirit that was evident in this picture:sorrow:.

lyn sorry no it wasnt gk street it as got me going bonkers now trying to think of it.
topsy turvey yes it was peter penn we were great mates and hung around together when we were young he had twin brothers keith and roy

Back