• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Suff is a word perculiar to the West Midlands meaning the drain.

Shakespeare used it in Troilius and Cressida Act 5 Scene 1 when one servant insults the master of another servant. Except that in most copies of the play it now says south instead of suff because some printer made a typo which makes nonsense of the passage:

Why, his masculine whore. Now, the rotten diseases
of the south, the guts-griping, ruptures, catarrhs,
loads o' gravel i' the back, lethargies, cold
palsies, raw eyes, dirt-rotten livers, wheezing
lungs, bladders full of imposthume, sciaticas,
limekilns i' the palm, incurable bone-ache, and the
rivelled fee-simple of the tetter, take and take
again such preposterous discoveries!

Last edited:
High Street 1960..........Bull St to the left.....Bus coming out of Dale End to the right & you can just see Carrs Lane where the guy holding newspapers is & Littlewoods store under construction.
This will be my last one for today.........don't wanna bore this piss outta ya......lol
City Centre High Street, Birmingham (1960)..jpg

High Street 1960..........Bull St to the left.....Bus coming out of Dale End to the right & you can just see Carrs Lane where the guy holding newspapers is & Littlewoods store under construction.
This will be my last one for today.........don't wanna bore this piss outta ya......lol
View attachment 154402
Wow. We could never be bored with seeing these lovely historic photo's Tates. These are part of our wonderful Brummy history, & are so lucky to relive some of our memories. Thank you for sharing them with us & welcome to the forum.

Tates,

That High Street picture is brilliant, just before I moved to Dorset in January 1961. Amongst those shops on the right there used to be a folksy coffee bar that my late brother and his then girl friend used to use a lot. Marvellous stuff.

Maurice :cool:

Well maybe ONE more......lol
I did read that someone mentioned "The House That Jack Built".........
Well HERE it is..............View attachment 154404
Thank you Tates for sharing this. This takes me right back to my very early years. We had our first house just up the road from here in the early 60's. Such an incredible store where plenty of bargains could be had.

Newtown Row 1950's
Here's an image I KNOW is NOT on here.
It was taken by my Father in Law Frank James from the bedroom window of the house they lived in.
If you look STRAIGHT up the road you can see the Aston Hippodrome & just in view on the left of where this image was taken from is Cowper Street.
I've tried to read the name of the factory opposite & it's seems to be Lloyds Lazarus if that rings a bell with anyone.
79.jpg

Newtown Row 1950's
Here's an image I KNOW is NOT on here.
It was taken by my Father in Law Frank James from the bedroom window of the house they lived in.
If you look STRAIGHT up the road you can see the Aston Hippodrome & just in view on the left of where this image was taken from is Cowper Street.
I've tried to read the name of the factory opposite & it's seems to be Lloyds Lazarus if that rings a bell with anyone.
View attachment 154419
According to Kelly's 1955 building opposite Cowper Street belonged to
Leopold Lazarus Metal Merchant (yard)

Tates,

That High Street picture is brilliant, just before I moved to Dorset in January 1961. Amongst those shops on the right there used to be a folksy coffee bar that my late brother and his then girl friend used to use a lot. Marvellous stuff.

Maurice :cool:
Hi Maurice, These pics are absolutely fabulous and I thank Tates for posting them.. So many memories for me. I am so glad that you made comment about the folksy cafe. My friend and I used to visit a folksy cafe. We were very young, really fancied ourselves as beatniks. Bought the dufflecoats etc. The place was always full of smoke?? We were non smokers so I don't know why we went in there really. From memory the cafe was down an alley, Im thinking where McDonalds?? is now. For years I have tried to remember the name of this cafe but to no avail, even more so since becoming a member of our fabulous forum. Would be very grateful if any members remember it. (The beatnik trend didn't last long, I decided I wanted to dress smarter and became a Mod eh eh).
Apologies if I have gone off thread. Welcome Tates.
Kind regards Sue

I'm wondering if the little cafe was in New Meeting Street which was (is?) a tiny street running off High Street about the position you suggest?
I don't remember it myself but it seems a likely place?

Edit - was it this place?
City New Meeting St stagedoor Cafe.jpg

Last edited:
Back