• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Its Lawley Street without a doubt you can see the viaduct on Viaduct Street behind it. These two images show it better one is taken from Landor Street and shows the whole building.

Attachments

• Nechells Lawley St Goods Depot.JPG
    Nechells Lawley St Goods Depot.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Vauxhall Lawley Street Goods Station.jpg
    Vauxhall Lawley Street Goods Station.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 87
00Landor Street foreground and Lawlwy Street goods depot.jpgThanks all thanks Phil ,this is a pic I have of Lawley Street taken from Landor Street so the sheds were probably rebuit

Well, nothing to be found of the Railway Goods Office now. The shot below shows what looks like the viaducts from the top of Montague Street which would be off picture to the left, but the rest is a different world. The Goods Office would be behind the bushes on the right....not...'all gone'. Strange to think that all of those folk were standing right there.

I think that you can pick out the building on the GE 1945 view but the 1890 OS does not show much.

Attachments

• Lawley.jpg
    Lawley.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 47

Nechells Trolleybus, although it looks like a motorbus. Chassis assembled by GEC using Leyland petrol bus frames - the electric motor and switchgear is under the bonnet, behind a radiator not connected to anything! These were topheavy when new and everything unneccessary upstairs had to be lightened (including removing the destination gear and painting "NECHELLS" on the glass!) and handrail poles downstairs filled with lead to get an acceptible tilt test result.

Oooooh you are awful Nico!! What's funny is the lady seems to be checking her hair 'cos there's a few of them there gentlemen sidling up to the stall that she might impress! Great photo, mainly because of the close up of Market Hall. It seems to dominate the street more than I'd imagined. Viv.
Maybe be she is showing off her new chest expander and giving that bloke an eyeful Grandmistress Brummie? Are they drapes outside the market hall, or banners or carpets? I thought if they were banners it might be a special day a everyone looks well togged out.

Seem to remember seeing a pic of carpets hanging outside the Hall Nico. But they do seem very high up on this photo. Viv.

Paul Taylor is described in the 1895 Kellys as a curtain & bedding warehosue, 102 High St.

00 strat rd.jpgPretty sure this is the Picture dome the building that preceeded the Picadilly cinema Stratford Road and was demolished around 1929

Desperate query...for Mikejeee who I seem to remember solving this yonks ago on another Thread perhaps? Or any other genius of course?...what is the name of this alleyway, under that building in Aston Street...from 1932....if it has a name...map would be nice too...pretty please?

Aston Street 1932.jpg

Dennis
The bakery is Cadwaller's bakery, and the opening beside is Reed's opening according to the reference on the original posting. However in the 1932 Kellys it is named Canvey passage. Presumably Reed had died, and Canvey taken his place . The photo is taken on 11th Feb. 1932, so the caption says, and the map ,c1902 showing the passage in red is below. If it is 1932 it must have been not long before the building of the fire station, which was on that site.

s_bakery.jpg

I'm afraid I keepaway from facebook unless for a particular pourpose. they keep sending me lots of invitations as it is , each supposedly from someone I know, but anyone who seriously thinks /i would want to "like " a bloody hotel, or some commercial product is unlikely to actually know me

Back