• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Thanks, Brumgum, but only very slightly. I will have to buy the other Godfrey map. It won't exactly break the bank!

Maurice

Re #3047 I don't know what was there before the bomb damage but C&A was built there. I used to work in the offices above the shops on the right of the picture in about 1956. The entrance to the offices was to the left of J Marks shop and was called Princess (or Queens) Chambers. I worked for Cinema Accessories Ltd which dealt with the Clifton Cinema Group. I worked in the Film Booking Dept.
Princess chambers still there and the building was refurbished a few years ago.
https://goo.gl/maps/bvU0z

I
miss C&A and Beatties that came after it and never use any of those shops there now.Picture by Roy Hughes, Copyrighted but licensed for further use.. C&A
C&A.jpg

Thanks for that Brumgum. I do try to get back to Brum at least once a year if I can, so I know that Princess Chambers is still there, but it was good to see the photo.

Judy

Brumgum:

I seem to recollect in my research that the Legge Street fountain was a memorial to someone. Do you know to whom, whether there was a plaque on it, and, if so, whether the plaque still exists? Cheers.

Maurice

Maurice, As far as I can make out this was the location of number 62. Perhaps Mike our resident map expert may be able to confirm if I am right or wrong, but in any case it the approximate location and I would hazard a guess it was roughly opposite the Warwick Castle public house where the hoardings on the photo are.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Aston Street.JPG
    Gosta Green Aston Street.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Gpsta Green.JPG
    Gpsta Green.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 59
Phil:

Are we talking about the same fountain? On the corner of Legge Street and Aston Road outside the Free Library?

Maurice
AstonStreet_Library.jpg

Brumgum:

I seem to recollect in my research that the Legge Street fountain was a memorial to someone. Do you know to whom, whether there was a plaque on it, and, if so, whether the plaque still exists? Cheers.

Maurice
Sorry, no idea about that one:05.18-flustered:

Maurice , I'm not talking about the fountain at all, but rather the location od 62 Aston Rd that I though you were still trying to place. Sorry!

Phil
I would agree. That must be 62 Aston St, measured from th ePeacock one way and the post office the other

Taunton and Roshven Road, Balsall Heath advertised as 'hospital for dislocated, broken-down, lame, disjointed gramophones and phonographs'. Taylor and Co (I wonder if he was a relative?)

Taunton and Roshven Road Balsall Heath..jpg

Bernie,

Great picture of the bridge. Many of my childhood days were spent playing near the waterfall just to the right as I lived in Knowle Road. What I've never been able to find is a picture of the bridge that it replaced.

Phil:

No need to apologise at all - everyone has been very helpful. I now know that 62 is a few doors past the Old Peacock. My cousin in New Zealand is now trying to find out a little more about the fountain.

Maurice

My kids also played in the ford there Maurice my in laws lived in Lyncroft Road and my father and brother in laws often took them there about 25 years ago Bernie

Ah, I think you are referring to the ford in Green Lane, Bernie, just a bit further upstream. I played there too when the footbridge was wooden (it's now steel) and when the bed of the ford was covered in green trailing water weed - lovely on your feet. Sadly it seems to have become a bit sterile and last time I was over there the weed had all gone, possibly due to the amount of traffic now using Green Lane. But that was an idyllic spot and you didn't see many cars in the 1940s.

Maurice

that photo as brought memories back meny a time i went down on the platform of that station to get the coal that fell of the back of the coal trains in the fifties with my brother
thank you for putting it on the furum josie

Back