• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

I bet the shops in Bull Street today or any part of the city centre could see that many potential customers,but sadly they won't.

Aston Stret.jpgHere are a couple of Aston Street Maurice I have no idea of the numbers and they are much later than you wanted

Brilliant, Bernie, thank you very much. The trade directories should sort out the first one. The second one looks like late 1950s maybe, but it's the flavour of the place I'm looking for. Now it is just Aston Uni campus, and apart from the fountain at Legge Street, it's all late 20th century stuff.

Maurice

Post #3034, an interesting question. If the mall was a cluster of stores with no architectural charachter in an open mall; then probably we would prefer the old more people friendly street shops and street landascape. There is much to like about being in an enclosed shopping centre in the winter and inclement weather. Trouble is that we are stuck with the impersonal nature of it all...rain or no. But, who would not be engaged by the return of the lost Passageways and shops across the centre of town. An entity unto themselves with internal architecture providing mere conveyance in comfort and shops to catch your eye. Pretty much like a modern indoor mall I suppose but somehow not so...more than I think. You can have both at the same time with the pass through not being subteranian like some developments.

Bernie, ref #3036, Hare & Newman Catering Company at 32 & 33 Aston Street were certainly in operation in 1955 according to Kellys. This is in the block of buildings between Gem Street and Sheep Street. Unfortunately the same entry also tells me that a large chunk of the other side of Aston Street including number 62 was vacant or had already been demolished.

Maurice

Last edited:
Hi if I come across any more of the same area maybe a little earlier I will post them here but someone else may have some pics of the area too Bernie

Thanks Bernie. I have established that 62 would have stood on the grassy area outside Aston Business School, but that is about as far as I can go.

Maurice

I think I have seen the Aston Street photo before. This was 1950 at the latest as it shows trams on this street. Also the BCT bus was one that was scrapped 1950-2. What puzzles me is that trolley bus overhead is still in place although the last trolley bus on this route was 1941 suggesting an earlier date.

Maurice, In 1937 No 62 Aston Street was listed a Fredrick Plowman butcher and was some few doors after of The Old Peacock at number 55.

Phil:

#3049. Thanks - worked out that that was at the Gosta Green end on the NW side, roughly where Aston Business School is now?

Maurice

Thanks Bernie - that black splodge across the other side of the Green is the fountain on the corner of Legge Street with the Free Library behind it. A better picture of both on the link you just gave me. The Library has gone, the fountain remains, but I'm not sure whether they actually moved its location. So little of the original Aston Street left from which to get your bearings.

Maurice

This is what I think we have Bernie. No doubt someone who knew the area better may correct me.

Maurice
gg.jpg

This is what I think we have Bernie. No doubt someone who knew the area better may correct me.

Maurice
View attachment 88512
Aston Rd goes to the right of the library and Legge st to the left, where you have Duke street is Aston Street.

The fountain appears to be still in situ to the side of the porta cabins on Google satellite...

https://goo.gl/maps/810bE

Also see bottom of page with fountain on corner of Legge Street, click on pictures to enlarge.
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/CityCentreOutsideIRR.html

Thanks for that Brumgum. So just above where I have the words "Duke Street" is in fact the Peacock pub at the start of Aston Street?

Maurice

Thank you - progress at last! My 1911 Alan Godfrey map only covers the Vauxhall Street end of Aston Street and Google Maps is next to useless around this area now! Cheers.

Maurice

Re #3047 I don't know what was there before the bomb damage but C&A was built there. I used to work in the offices above the shops on the right of the picture in about 1956. The entrance to the offices was to the left of J Marks shop and was called Princess (or Queens) Chambers. I worked for Cinema Accessories Ltd which dealt with the Clifton Cinema Group. I worked in the Film Booking Dept.

Back