• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old photos given an airing - partners late fathers pictures

Me!! Can't remember what age I was though. Mom Hand made the teddybear while she was away in Westheath Hospital recovering from TB.View attachment 44882picture was taken in the living room of 41, Milton Street, Aston. I did have blond hair untill Nan put Brylcreem on it.

thanks reg...some wonderful family pics there..you are so lucky to have them..:)

david...now i see where you get yer love of ale from:rolleyes: great pic of your dad....

lyn

reg...thats such a cute pic of you and teddy...do you still have him..???

lyn

Kev, yes we had some great parties! I remember that my Dad used to buy "Cocktail" cigarettes - the different coloured ones - and my Mom would pretend to smoke one even though neither she nor my Dad smoked!

I remember those cigarettes, used to get them from a shop in Bristol Rd near The Diskery, had forgotten all about them. I ain't smoked since New Years Eve 1979...

Me!! Can't remember what age I was though. Mom Hand made the teddybear while she was away in Westheath Hospital recovering from TB.View attachment 44882picture was taken in the living room of 41, Milton Street, Aston. I did have blond hair untill Nan put Brylcreem on it.

I had a picture taken with my brother around 1960ish, I think a bloke just came to the door and plonked the two of us on a sideboard and took a picture. The picture supplied was on a glass frame with four mirror type screws on a wooden surface. Just wondering if yours was from the same photographer. The glass has broken recently and I have been looking for a replacement in antique shops.

Just thought I'd share a photo 'good news' story. I never met my paternal grandfather as he died before I was born and I only had one photo of him. I've just been sent a photgraph after contacting someone on Ancestry - of my Grandfather with his Mother and Grandmother. can't believe how excited I got, seeing my Great Great Grandmother, born 1843! Karenanne

hi reg
love the photos of george and lottie my only connection to my gt aunt sarah;

thanks again

lynne

No Lyn. I haven't still got him, to my eternal regret I can remember kicking him up and down Milton Street using him as a football. He didn't last long. I'm kicking myself now.!!!
reg...thats such a cute pic of you and teddy...do you still have him..???

lyn

Kevkonk, I wonder if he took this one as well then.?? me and my little kid brother, Ronnie. Also taken in Milton Street.
View attachment 44947 I had a picture taken with my brother around 1960ish, I think a bloke just came to the door and plonked the two of us on a sideboard and took a picture. The picture supplied was on a glass frame with four mirror type screws on a wooden surface. Just wondering if yours was from the same photographer. The glass has broken recently and I have been looking for a replacement in antique shops.

Wonderful old photos.
Digital images can never match them,I wonder in 50 years time if people will be looking at digital images on disc or computers and making comments about them as we do today.
If you do write on the back of photos only ever do so in soft pencil, never biro or felt tip, and don't press too hard.

By the way anyone know the car model in first picture?
At a guess perhaps a Humber.Looks like one my Headmaster had but I dont think it had the rope holding the boot shut.
Not a Humber but ford V8 Pilot.
Not the standard Pilot body, which didn't have the widow behind the doors, and and the spare wheel container outside the boot.
The only picture I can find of this type as in the original photo is in a Tintin cartoon, as a taxi: Perhaps it's a French Ford then? The front wheel hubs are certainly Ford V8 style, as is the bonnet side.

A bit more diligent searching, and I found one!
A 1937 Ford 730D De Luxe Fordor Touring Sedan. The 1938/9 models had a different rear end design.

hi reg, another great photo,your grandad is so like his dad, iwonder if Josiah looked like that as well.

keep posting any more you have,

thanks

lynne.

View attachment 45233Group Picture, for you Lynne. Mom on the left, Rosa on her lap. Rita, George at the back, Reg at the front, and Nan Rose holding Val.
Missing on the photo are. Janet, Maureen, Roy and Barry. Big Coley Family this.

hi reg,
Thanks again for the photo, you are so lucky to have all these photos, ive got none at all,mom lost all of hers when she moved house,
she was like a nomad always on the move.
Though they are not family they are probably the nearest i will ever see.

thanks again,

lynne.

Thanks Wendy. Just gonna give Lynne Webb a nudge and tell her there's some more Coley pictures for here. Regards, Reg.

hi again reg,
loved the family group photo,what a big family. On the birth records i found about 10 born to Coley mmn Gallagher so there must
be hundreds of Coleys somewhere, keep them coming, im printing them all,hope thats OK.

THANKS

lynne

by the way, is your still alive,

Back