• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old gun battery site’s around Birmingham & nearby

chucka

Black Country Mon
sometime ago there was a thread on the gun emplacments around Brum during WW2. I have found these photos that i took some time ago at the top of Sandwell Valley, on the border of Handsworth, at one time you could see the floodlights of Villa Park, West Bromwich Albion and St Andrews from this location.
Chucka

I remember the one in Spring Lane Erdington, looking just like that. A school as been built there now.

not exactly about a battery of guns but could anyone confirm as to whether there was an anti aircraft gun mounted on the central tower of Fort Dunlop?

not exactly about a battery of guns but could anyone confirm as to whether there was an anti aircraft gun mounted on the central tower of Fort Dunlop?

Not a gun but a spotlight. Me Dad said the planes came down the light to bomb the Fort. Bit of a story me thinks but I have had other people say the same.:rolleyes:

chukka, If you type `gun sites` into search and scroll you will see this pic of a 3.7 in AA Gun in action and you will see the enclosures were the AA Shells were stored which are in your photos of an old WW2 Gun site. Len.

Last edited:
....at the top of Sandwell Valley, on the border of Handsworth....
Chucka

If this is where I think it is, I used to play around there as a kid in the 60's, and it was known as "The Uplands", and I used to cycle up there from a little road off Friary Road, Handsworth which was opposite the end of College Road. (Silvercroft Avenue).

I've just checked this out on Google Maps, and the area is as I remember it - called "Hilltop", and the gun emplacements are still there....

....at the top of Sandwell Valley, on the border of Handsworth....
Chucka

If this is where I think it is, I used to play around there as a kid in the 60's, and it was known as "The Uplands", and I used to cycle up there from a little road off Friary Road, Silvercroft Avenue.

Just checked it out on Google Maps - it's just as I remember it, the gun emplacement is still there but now it's called "Hilltop".

If you search for " 52.519785, -1.951629 " on maps.google.co.uk you'll see it.

I remember the one in Spring Lane Erdington, looking just like that. A school as been built there now.

My recollection was that the site of the gun battery was to the north edge (perhaps backing on to Berkswell Rd) of the Spring Lane playing fields and that the school (National School ? ) was built upon the site of huts used by Italian prisoners of war. But hey.. I wasn't born till 1953 so what would I know :)

Ian

I thought I was the only one to remember that place before the school. By the way Ian it's a C of E school not a National school:)

I thought I was the only one to remember that place before the school. By the way Ian it's a C of E school not a National school:)

Yes.. it is now but it was first built as the National School. I think it is now St Barnabas School. I lived in Kingsbury Rd so it basically fell within my 'play area'. As did 'Darlingtons' and the old Doctors House demolished to make way for the Mobile Station.

Ian

Frothblower...Further to the Gun Battery in Spring Lane (Shipley's Fields). Their is a picture of the wooden huts somewhere on the Birmingham History Forum showing some of the families 'billeted' in them... my older brother remembers better than me (born 1941) and says that the 'residents' disliked others walking into the camp and had a habit of throwing bricks to scare them away..

Ian

Hello, I live in Berkswell Road, at present, I was born on the Kingsbury Road , My mother was born on the Kingsbury Road in 1937, her home and garden backed on to the playing fields as they are now, I have heard a few stories from my Grandmother about what went on in these fields during the war, I rembember the crumbled old shelters still there in the sixty's I was told there was a small american base there, and my mum was given chewing gum through the fence, and used to get shouted at by my nan, I beleive there was some kin of gun there that the neighbours called Big Bertha which used to help with the Dunlop, My mum is on holiday at the moment, so need to clarify

Hi Lynda.
I lived on the other side of the road between Birches Green Rd and Firtree Rd.. I can confirm that the big gun was called Big Bertha and apparently used to shake the houses when it was fired.. I reckon I must have been about 10 when I was playing on the gun battery site so that would make it 1963. Not sure when it was removed though.

Ian

I was actually born in Whitminster Avenue, My Grandparents lived in the same avenue, I was born i 1959 and I vaguely remember rambling around the fields and climbing around old rubble and foundations, in the 70's the area was turned into a running track for the local schools. I went to Birches Green School, in the 60's My mother was there in the 40's Paths must have crossed at some stage

Hi Lynda.

Almost certainly I would think, though I am 6 years older than you... I think the Birches Green Secretary lived in Whitminster Av, a Mrs Legg !! My Mother was a cook and my Aunt was a serving lady at BG so if you 'stayed dinners' you will no doubt recall them... I'm afraid the only lynda (as per your spelling) that I recall was a Lynda Cunningham.

aahh, Mrs Legg, I knew the family well, she lived to a very good age, well into her 90's and quite fit I did stay school dinners my maiden name was Bown Grandparents were Frazers, The old house at the top of the road, by the garage was always very spooky, I used to run past it as a kid, I thought it was haunted

Hmm I'm afraid your name doesn't ring any bells.. my surname is Burr. The old house behind or to the side of the Mobil garage was the old Doctors house and the garden was brilliant for scrumping. It was the large 'Old Men's Home' opposite the park that used to give me the willies... You had a choice of running past the old men or crossing over and taking your chances passed the public loo's.... either not a nice choice as a youngster especially for girls..

This is a map of the gunsites of the Gun Defence Area of Birmingham and the surrounding area. Len.

LYNDA C, The Big Anti Aircraft Guns used in WW2 were, Vickers 3.7in bore,Vickers 4in bore & Vickers 5.25in bore this Gun had underground room sleeping quarters and maintainence rooms. Len.

Yes.. it is now but it was first built as the National School. I think it is now St Barnabas School. I lived in Kingsbury Rd so it basically fell within my 'play area'. As did 'Darlingtons' and the old Doctors House demolished to make way for the Mobile Station.

Ian

I keep thinking about this post. I maybe wrong but I 'm almost certain this school was always called St Barnabas school Was'nt the National school in the High street?:rolleyes:

sometime ago there was a thread on the gun emplacments around Brum during WW2. I have found these photos that i took some time ago at the top of Sandwell Valley, on the border of Handsworth, at one time you could see the floodlights of Villa Park, West Bromwich Albion and St Andrews from this location.
Chucka

Chuka - I played in these ruins a few times as a child in the sixties. As far as I can recall, there was a similar emplacement north-west of there, on a hill/ridge, somewhere towards Wigmore.

I keep thinking about this post. I maybe wrong but I 'm almost certain this school was always called St Barnabas school Was'nt the National school in the High street?:rolleyes:
The National School certainly was in the High Street. it was sited opposite Barnabas Road and was demolished in the 1960s to make way for a frontage of modern shops and an access road to a rear car park. St Barnabas School in Spring Lane was built around the same time, so perhaps the existing schoolchildren were transferred to the new school.

Since writing the above post, I've now consulted Erdington Historical Society papers, and I understand that St Barnabas School was actually built in 1963/4 as a "Church of England National School", and pupils were transferred from the High Street school in February 1964 prior to its demolition.

I too remember the site in Spring Lane and am grateful for the opportunity to reminisce about it, although it didn't look like those photos.

The site comprised some 10 acres of marshy ground bounded by the gardens of Spring Lane to the west, playing fields to the south, a public footpath from Kingsbury Road to Berkswell Road and the gardens of Berkswell Road to the east, and Hartshorne's nurseries in Moor End Lane together with Moat Meadow (which was also known as the "Scout Field" on account of it hosting the scout hut of the 105th Birmingham Moor End scout troop) to the north.

It remained under MOD occupation until the end of national service. For one sunday in 1960 it was opened to the public for the day. The access road was from Spring Lane, where St Barnabas School was later built, lined by demolished blockhouses. This forked into two perimeter roads to either side of two pillboxes. The area contained three gun emplacements, each comprising a circle of concrete inset with three screw fixings for the gun and arcs of ammunition cupboards, and an accompanying ramp into the ground lined with larger stores. There was also a command and control bunker with bars at the windows.

The site was subsequently closed and evacuated, but my friend's garden in Berkswell Road afforded us access through the boundary hedge, and we used to play commandos storming the derelict pillboxes and exploring to our hearts' content. During 1962/3 someone dumped and burned an old Ford Popular on the perimeter road by the nearest pillbox - this provided additional realism for our exploits. My friend subsequently became a colonel in the British Army, so it must have been inspiration for him!

One of the challenges for the site was its drainage. Rainwater run-off from the escarpment of Erdington High Street rises as a spring under the gardens of Fern Road, and is piped through a 3' land drain under the eponymously named Spring Lane. It used to emerge beyond the gardens of Spring Lane as a stream known as Holly Brook, which meandered across the width of Moat Meadow (now the Blossom Hill estate) and under a bridge in the corner of the field. It used to then meander across the site, which had to be conduited before wartime construction could begin. The stream was coursed through a deep channel between Hartshorne's nursertes and the boundary of the site access road, before disappearing iunder a bridge into an underground culvert. Run-off of water from Hartshorne's nurseries provided an ever-present tinkling waterfall, which was conducted through a series of ditches and bridges into another small underground culvert. The culverts carried the water underground to and around the perimeter of Nocks Brickworks' quarry to emerge under a bridge in Holly Lane. Despite this drainage, the site was bedevilled with treacherous marshy dewponds. The command bunker was almost completely submerged under water, and the below ground ammunitiion stores always had water in them - it was good sport to jump from one roof to another across the watery void below!

During 1963/4 the school was built on the Spring Lane access road, and the site was gradually levelled and incorporated into the adjoining playing fields during the remainder of the 1960s and early 1970s.

i have just applied for a full birth certificate for a passport application , and my parents address was listed as 9,spring lane campsite. I date back to 1948. can anyone tell me anything about this site at that time.i would be most grateful, thank you.

just done a quick google as i have not of spring lane but its in erdington off the kingsbury road..as it was a campsite i can only think that maybe they were army married quarters..just a guess mind...

lyn

Last edited:
Back