• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old drawings

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..been given these drawings by D Dugmore dated 1983 so thought you may like to see them..

lyn

perry hall..

img510.jpg

cornwall buildings..

img511.jpg

stratford house camp hill..

img512.jpg

canal under broad street.

img513.jpg

arden hotel.

img514.jpg

old canal offices..paradise st..

img515.jpg

They are lovely Lyn you are very lucky to be the new owner thanks for posting them.

They are beautiful Lyn, thanks for posting them. I love the Church of the Messiah one over the canal, and my 3xGt. Grandfather was a coal merchant on the Old Wharf by the Offices.

rosie.

rosie going through my pics ive found an actual photo of the old wharf..what year was your 3x grandad working there..prob a bit before this was taken..i will just scan it and post it for you...

lyn

Great drawings Lyn. You could almost be mistaken for thinking these are late 19th early 20th century drawings! (Until you spot the PO tower in the Cornwall Buildings drawing of course!) A nice talent. Viv.

Wll done Lyn posting these great drawings. I like them all and if I had to pick one the Arden Hotel might just be it. Thanks for posting them. I am so glad that they are here on the forum.

Thanks for post #7 Lyn, I've gone "all goosebumps"!!
The only pictures I've seen previously didn't have people about. He was there around 1845.
rosie.

Thanks Lyn, what wonderful drawings, I particularly like the one of Gas Street Basin as it is a favourite subject of mine (or was before it was tarted up !!!) Eric

always a pleasure jenny...rosie your 3x gt grandad may not be in that photo but how great to think he roamed around there...oh dear im off again..im too romantic lol...

Thanks Lyn, what wonderful drawings, I particularly like the one of Gas Street Basin as it is a favourite subject of mine (or was before it was tarted up !!!) Eric

hi eric i thought you may like that one..its lovely..

Lyn, thank you for posting those excellent drawings. I seem to remember Eric's painting of a similar scene of Gas Street Basin. Anthea

I thought I knew all the artists but thatDugmore is a new one on me and he is a brilliant draughtsman. I used to draw a lot before I took up watercolour both pencil and pen, seeing his work makes me feel like "having a go" again. Eric

oh you must eric..i for one would love to see your drawings...please have a go...
:encouragement:
lyn

Eric, please let us see one if you do decide to have a go, if they are anything like your paintings they will be great.
Sue

I have doubts about the accuracy of the Cornwall Buildings picture. From the perspective of the Post Office tower it looks like it should be the corner of Ludgate Hill and Lionel St which was a petrol station in 1983. That looks like the corner of Crnwall St and Newhall Street which would put the tower somewhere beyond the right of the picture.

I went up town today and stood on the corner of newhall street and cornwall street, the building from the drawing is easily recognisable and the post office tower is exactly where it appears in the drawing

Back