• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

old book

oldbook

Judy39, thanks for the reply. I think you may have changed my mind about trying to get a new copy - perhaps, a second hand one may be the only option!

Regards, Anthea.

I paid £2.38 plus p&p for a hardback copy in good condition from Amazon. Nothing wrong with it at all.

what a good result I wonder what the cost was when new I like the picture number 67 and 65 mine is in very good condition with jacket also in very good condition

Yes John, I was very pleased with the book and thought it was excellent value for money. I also wonder what it cost new, but unfortunately the price has been cut out of the paper jacket so it was obviously given as a present to someone. I love all the photos, particularly 14, 15 and 16 showing the site at the top of Pinfold Street and Hill Street, where the Post Office stands now.

That was a good price I will send for a copy myself as I have to give this one back, also the price is cut out of the copy I have too.

I have a book by Dorothy McCulla and Martin Hampson entitled Victorian and Edwardian Warwickshire from old Photographs the book I have was published in 1976 and cost £4.45. The photo's of the country folk are just wonderful.

old books

I ordered a second hand copy of Dorothy McCulla's book Victorian and Edwardian Birmingham from old photographs from Amazon. It cost £3.50 plus p+p. It is in excellent condition; reprinted 1985; cost £8.95. The book was very well packed for protection - obviously sent by a book lover! :D

It's worth keeping an eye open in secondhand bookshops for this book - I picked one up a few months ago (before I joined the forum!) for £3.99 from the Oxfam bookshop in Harborne.

Back