• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

old book

mariew

master brummie
A friend of my husbands has borrowed me an old book he rescued from a skip, it has some fab pictures in especially the one of the poor children they haven't even got shoes, maybe they have been posted before but just in case here is a few.

Attachments

• img194.jpg
    img194.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
  • img193 - Copy (2).jpg
    img193 - Copy (2).jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 0
  • img193 - Copy.jpg
    img193 - Copy.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
  • img193.jpg
    img193.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful Photographs.

MarieW. What lovely photographs, thank you so much for sharing them with us. Even if they have appeared before I am sure there are a lot of new members that will not have seen them. What is so beautiful about them is the happiness on those children's faces even though they were dressed in rags and no shoes. I am sure that if they were alive today they could teach us a lot about happiness. Funny how a photograph that is over 100 years old can have that kind of affect on you. The other views are those seen by Grandparents and Great Grandparents, how wonderful that we can share the same as what they did all those years ago.

I thought the same the poor children hadn't got anything but they did look happy, the book has also got a photo of the Aston Villa team in 1886 and a photo of the gipsy encampment on the black patch in 1907 so if anyone wants me to post those just let me know.

mariew
so nice to see these sort of photos rescued .thanks for sharing them with us.a lot of the children of that era probably fought in the great war.
what a waste of young lives.

The book is called victorian and edwardian birmingham from old photographs by dorothy McCulla.

I thought the same the poor children hadn't got anything but they did look happy, the book has also got a photo of the Aston Villa team in 1886 and a photo of the gipsy encampment on the black patch in 1907 so if anyone wants me to post those just let me know.
MariaW. The black patch has been mentioned before, where was it ?
Can you post the photograph ?

mariew
so nice to see these sort of photos rescued .thanks for sharing them with us.a lot of the children of that era probably fought in the great war.
what a waste of young lives.
Winston. A true comment, so very sad to think that's what could have happened. A lovely generation wiped out.

Post more please they're a wonderful find

Thanks for the name of the book - it certainly is worth trying to get hold of for those wonderful photos. Judy

Yes Apollo post any photo that show our History, if its been seen before someone will tell you.:)

I had to scan black patch in 2 halves as it was too big for the scanner, I have added a couple more and will post some more later, I'm so glad he saved this book from the skip.

Attachments

• img196.jpg
    img196.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 0
  • img195.jpg
    img195.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 0
  • img196 - Copy.jpg
    img196 - Copy.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
old photos

lovely old photos, mariew, On the postcard, it mentions buying some land for the Council House, £33,000 seems an awful lot of money for the year 1853. I wonder how many back to backs that would have bought.

MarieW thanks so much for posting these photographs some of those children could be our g.grandparents. I find the captions rather distorted do you think you could type where they were taken, it would be much appreciated.

Sylvia if you click on the photo it will enlarge it, let me know if you still can't see it and I will type it out.

Marie, I did enlarge but still couldn't see the type too well - old age. The two I'd like to see the captions of are the ones with the large square building on the left. and the photo next to it. Sorry to be a pain.

Back