• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This image has a lot to offer although at first view it is a clearance site, there is a gasholder in the distance, does this make it Nechells area and a large church which should be recognisable location. There is a tall old style telephone pole, traditional street light and not much else. It seems someone has removed a couple of boards from the house on the right, and note the lad dressed in shorts walking towards us, as there are no leaves on the trees we assume its winter so he must be cold. In the background children are playing on the cleared land. ( Again this seems to be a picture I recall been posted before - someones parents were married in the church ? I am sure you will let me know)

View attachment 176496
I think it was taken from Lupin Street, looking North-West towards Saint Matthews.
The far houses were Willis Street
The other road, where people are standing, is Francis Street.
That part of Lister Street was "redeveloped" in 54/55

The Gasometer was in Rupert Street.
The photographer would now be standing in Duddeston Manor Road.

I think it was taken from Lupin Street, looking North-West towards Saint Matthews.
The far houses were Willis Street
The other road, where people are standing, is Francis Street.
That part of Lister Street was "redeveloped" in 54/55

The Gasometer was in Rupert Street.
The photographer would now be standing in Duddeston Manor Road.
see post 3083

Is this the one that was on Grosvenor Street West (below)?
4373034279_48dc2acbe6_b.jpg
My Uncle worked there

This is Ryland Street and Grosvenor Street West, Joes Café on the corner with a bunch of lads presumably waiting for someone to take them inside. Love the building on the right with the faded wording - not quite ghost level. Love the motorbike and sidecar and the keep left sign, and the general street scene.

View attachment 157536
Would the black car be travelling towards Broad Street? What year would these buildings have been built.

My relatives live on Ryland Street 1910 to 1920 era. I'm just trying to get a sense of what was in Ryland Street as it seems nowadays that there isn't one single old building on Ryland Street!

I seem to recall posting an image of this area taken to the left of this view - I cannot recall the location but I am sure someone will assist. The Midland Bank makes a fine sight, using every available architectural device , columns, cornices, and balustrades . I love how the car is parked on the corner of the junction. Demolition sale on progress so I assume all to be remove. An interesting lamp cover, different from the one on the corner, and some variety of building in the distance with blinds drawn for the sun.
View attachment 176475
At old six ways Aston (high St Aston on sign above shop) picture below 1949

Attachments

• aston.jpeg
    aston.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 51
This is a bit different and something to test your Birmingham knowledge, two blocks the one on the right seems to have been refurbished, wooden fencing around the site ( old tile panels removed (?) ) , no idea of location. Down the road to the right are more traditional buildings, with a pub at the end of the road? not much of a clue I know. Old style street lamps

View attachment 176495
St Martins Flats, Highgate

Attachments

• Highgate St Martins Flats c1939  .jpg
    Highgate St Martins Flats c1939 .jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 26
This picture is another in the series how little of the Rotunda has been built, as usual no year , third floor has just been fitted the ground floor has been boarded up. To the left of the Rotunda is the rear of the Odeon and then the row of shops in front of New Street Station. Interesting selection of traffic, and the entrance onto New Street / High Street is two way. Moving forward we have the Bull Ring, love the coloured roofs of the stalls, and the pattern of the paving must have taken some doing.Test441.jpg

This picture is another in the series how little of the Rotunda has been built, as usual no year , third floor has just been fitted the ground floor has been boarded up. To the left of the Rotunda is the rear of the Odeon and then the row of shops in front of New Street Station. Interesting selection of traffic, and the entrance onto New Street / High Street is two way. Moving forward we have the Bull Ring, love the coloured roofs of the stalls, and the pattern of the paving must have taken some doing.View attachment 176575
First pic attached shows Rotunda 2nd June 1962
rotunda 02-06-62.jpg

Second pic undated
rotunda under construction.jpg

Smallbrook Ringway, just at the end of construction, buildings on the right have not been fitted out yet, and three lanes of traffic marked out, buildings on the left with their uplighters, this has been subject to rumours of demolition recently, another icon lost?
As we move down a BRS lorry crosses the road and if we look into the distance we see that the flats have not been built yet and the familiar vista has yet to be constructed.
Test450.jpg

Following on from RobT's picture we have this image taken at approximately the same time judging by the height of the Rotunda. Showing very much the old and the new.
The original New Street Station and its roof stretches out behind the row of shop fronts. The stalls within the walls of the old market hall, and the Bull Ring shopping centre in front and as said, the start of the construction of the Rotunda.
Couple of Midland Red Buses on the road to the right.
Test417.jpg

Following on from RobT's picture we have this image taken at approximately the same time judging by the height of the Rotunda. Showing very much the old and the new.
The original New Street Station and its roof stretches out behind the row of shop fronts. The stalls within the walls of the old market hall, and the Bull Ring shopping centre in front and as said, the start of the construction of the Rotunda.
View attachment 176583
The row of shops behind the Odeon cinema are unusual with their roof and chimney positions?

I realised I am posting these images the wrong way round, here is the first in the process of redevelopment. Almost unrecognisable from the image above, the market hall can be seen and the curve of the road where the bus is turning can both be identified also the shops and office in New Street. You can also see the slope from back to the foreground. Fine number of telephone boxes. I take it that is Woolworths on the left where it was in later years.

Test418.jpg

Although this must be recognisable to someone I can not offer much there is a George Newnes shop, is that the clocktower of the council house in the background and if so are we down John Bright Street area?. Bus coming towards us and a lady in a large (fur) coat, apart from that not much to offer I am afraid

View attachment 176499
Definitely Suffolk street
suffolk-street-john-bright-street.jpg
john-bright-street-from-horsefair.jpg

As you have had it quiet easy today, I thought I would give you a challenge, nice run of terraced houses, 6 houses in each block, one door one window downstairs and one window upstairs, and a alleyway in the middle, and a fine selection of chimneys. Hope someone can help identifying the location.

Test323 1.jpg

This picture is another in the series how little of the Rotunda has been built, as usual no year , third floor has just been fitted the ground floor has been boarded up. To the left of the Rotunda is the rear of the Odeon and then the row of shops in front of New Street Station. Interesting selection of traffic, and the entrance onto New Street / High Street is two way. Moving forward we have the Bull Ring, love the coloured roofs of the stalls, and the pattern of the paving must have taken some doing.View attachment 176575
Rotunda was completed in 1965

This is a photo from 1963 from B'ham Post & Mail
rotunda 1963.jpg

1964 I believe
rotunda 1964.jpg

Last edited:
We now move to 86 -88 Warwick Road in 1974 and so much to see that isn't around any more - the number of tobacco adverts, the newspaper adverts, the sun blinds ready for the summer and the neon sign which we can imagine as been red. Note also the pram - but this is 48 years ago !!. see also the brickwork under the eaves and the ridge tiles. Interesting that the property next door (left) has a sun screen also. To the right is a clothes shop with the height of fashion in the window.

View attachment 167358

We now move to 86 -88 Warwick Road in 1974 and so much to see that isn't around any more - the number of tobacco adverts, the newspaper adverts, the sun blinds ready for the summer and the neon sign which we can imagine as been red. Note also the pram - but this is 48 years ago !!. see also the brickwork under the eaves and the ridge tiles. Interesting that the property next door (left) has a sun screen also. To the right is a clothes shop with the height of fashion in the window.

View attachment 167358
This was a shop owned by my father and initially run by my eldest brother and then my elder sister.
it was 2 three bed terraced houses joined together. we used to play hide and seek in the house as there were so many rooms. I also watched the 1966 World Cup final in the lounge at the back.
many happy memories of being there.

View attachment 176583
The attached picture will compliment this view of the Bull Ring, it shows the seating area at the top of the step and ramp , many shoppers would sit there and eat a sandwich etc, from the shops that were on the level.

Attachments

• F8C42D30-4F7F-412F-8472-C32E162C517A.jpeg
    F8C42D30-4F7F-412F-8472-C32E162C517A.jpeg
    629.4 KB · Views: 48
Great pictures, Steve as always, thank you! The colour photo of the row of terraced houses (post 3112) is, I'm sure New John Street West, looking towards the junction with Wheeler Street, which is out of sight.
Can I wish EVERYONE on the site, Moderators & contributors, a Very Happy New Year! Bless you all for helping to make it the best history website! Have a wonderful 2023!!

Back