• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

It is strange but I also wondered if it was the other end of Regent Place where it joins Vittoria Street.
Maps of Caroline Street worried me because of the absence of small, house-like buildings.
jan i am still sticking my neck out and still say it is not the regent place off caroline st as too much just does not fit..still searching for that photo in my files as i am sure i have it...the bend in caroline st has not changed in over 100 years...map below for those are not familiar with this map site move the blue dot back and forth to see what is there now..something is pulling me towards ladywood will do some more research

lyn

Last edited:
although i still cant find steves photo as yet i checked my ladywood files and lo and behold an by sheer luck i have another photo of regent place..still dont know the name of the st or road but working on it so exact location still needed...anderton st is coming to mind but not certain yet.here is steves photo again the one i have caption says regent terrace ladywood..same corner shop on both photos and the word POLISH above the door is also on both shops..amazing how the angle of a photo cant distort the actual size of an opening or in this case a terrace

regent place.jpgRegent Place Ladywood.jpg

Last edited:
although i still cant find steves photo as yet i checked my ladywood files and lo and behold an by sheer luck i have another photo of regent terrace..still dont know the name of the st or road but working on it so exact location still needed...anderton st is coming to mind but not certain yet.here is steves photo again the one i have caption says regent place ladywood..same corner shop on both photos and the word POLISH above the door is also on both shops..amazing how the angle of a photo cant distort the actual size of an opening or in this case a terrace
On both pictures from the top of the door frame to the bottom of the road sign is nine bricks, and there is a Woodbine sign by the polish sign so I feel your right!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn - 1955 map shows a Regent Place off Clark Street in Ladywood. Any good? Think Mike posted this earlier and ruled it out.

I think it is St Mark's street.
Snippet attached.View attachment 156680
yep that does it for me bob st marks st it is...i have the same pic as you but a longer shot... again we can make out the word POLISH above the shop door also have this other one which we have already seen both dated 1967St Marks Street Marion Beddow in photo Ladywood 5.6.67 .jpgSt Marks Street Regent Place Ladywood 5-6-1967 .jpg...phew glad that one is sorted can now go and put a location on steves photo

lyn

Actually, now we have identified it, I have a copy already labelled as St Marks St which apparently I aquired on 9th february this year, presumably from the forum, though not sure where

Now we just have to work out the year the photo was taken!!
hi alf i take it you mean steves colour photo...dont think the date matters that much the main thing was getting its location correct but at a guess between the late 50s and 60s...maybe someone could look up the reg on the milk float..it may narrow the date down

lyn

hi alf i take it you mean steves colour photo...dont think the date matters that much the main thing was getting its location correct but at a guess between the late 50s and 60s...maybe someone could look up the reg on the milk float..it may narrow the date down

lyn
It was a tongue in cheek remark, after all the effort & headscratching in identifying its location! But yes, I agree, late 1950s/ early 1960s. I looked up the milk float's number plate on www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations, but it only says it's either: after March 1948, or after March 1963.

Interesting ticket booth for the tulip festival - programmes 1 shilling, back of the old lending library with the statue of Priestley (?) and the fountain. Variety of male fashions on show and note the man with his gloves polishing his car on the left . Seems we lost a lot in this area . also note the modern looking street lamp.

View attachment 156644
I remember a school trip to The Tulip Festival at Cannon Hill.. approx 1961?
Annie

Back