• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Not sure when the photo showing Regent Place was taken, but the 1946 Kellys lists 5 Regent Places in birmingham & suburbs:

1619899261020.png
It is difficult sometimes to judge the width of streets and entrance on photos, but if the photo is Caroline st, then the opening a litrle further on must be Regent Passage, which does not look right to me. Below is a map showing the Clark st one, which is definitely not the photo

map c1955 showing Regent Place , Clark st.jpg

Not sure when the photo showing Regent Place was taken, but the 1946 Kellys lists 5 Regent Places in birmingham & suburbs:

View attachment 156655
It is difficult sometimes to judge the width of streets and entrance on photos, but if the photo is Caroline st, then the opening a litrle further on must be Regent Passage, which does not look right to me. Below is a map showing the Clark st one, which is definitely not the photo

View attachment 156656
Just to clarify my location was taken from modern mapping, I could be wrong, can I also point out the factory at the end which looks like " & Lee" do we have location for this?

Doesn't seem to be the Regent Place off Caroline St. Maps show a distinct bend to the right which the picture doesn't appear to have.
yes i agree mws if it is the regent place off caroline st they must have also rewidened it an awful lot.. here is a street view and steves photo to compere..as said i am sure i have this photo but cant recall the location yetregent place.jpg

Here is a map c1955 showing Regent Place Hyde Road, which does not look quite right. I cannot find the position of the one in Cranemore st, though it looks rather a short street to fit with the photo. The Upper Sutton St one has three possibilities . It is one of courts 5. 7 or 9, but there is no T junction a short distance further down the road, so it cannot be that one

map c1955 showing Regent Place, Hyde Road.jpgmap c1955 showing the three possibilities for Regent Place, upper sutton St.jpg

Looking at my AtoZ map I think the photo maybe is of Vittoria Street looking towards Graham Street.
It is strange but I also wondered if it was the other end of Regent Place where it joins Vittoria Street.
Maps of Caroline Street worried me because of the absence of small, house-like buildings.

It is strange but I also wondered if it was the other end of Regent Place where it joins Vittoria Street.
Maps of Caroline Street worried me because of the absence of small, house-like buildings.
jan i am still sticking my neck out and still say it is not the regent place off caroline st as too much just does not fit..still searching for that photo in my files as i am sure i have it...the bend in caroline st has not changed in over 100 years...map below for those are not familiar with this map site move the blue dot back and forth to see what is there now..something is pulling me towards ladywood will do some more research

lyn

Last edited:
although i still cant find steves photo as yet i checked my ladywood files and lo and behold an by sheer luck i have another photo of regent place..still dont know the name of the st or road but working on it so exact location still needed...anderton st is coming to mind but not certain yet.here is steves photo again the one i have caption says regent terrace ladywood..same corner shop on both photos and the word POLISH above the door is also on both shops..amazing how the angle of a photo cant distort the actual size of an opening or in this case a terrace

regent place.jpgRegent Place Ladywood.jpg

Last edited:
although i still cant find steves photo as yet i checked my ladywood files and lo and behold an by sheer luck i have another photo of regent terrace..still dont know the name of the st or road but working on it so exact location still needed...anderton st is coming to mind but not certain yet.here is steves photo again the one i have caption says regent place ladywood..same corner shop on both photos and the word POLISH above the door is also on both shops..amazing how the angle of a photo cant distort the actual size of an opening or in this case a terrace
On both pictures from the top of the door frame to the bottom of the road sign is nine bricks, and there is a Woodbine sign by the polish sign so I feel your right!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back