• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

This is the NCR (National Cash Register) offices on the Coventry Road , modern building nothing special but is in fact 40 years old - time flies - couple of unremarkable vehicles representing Ford and Vauxhall.

EDIT: Update from Robert- The NCR office building on the Coventry Rd is now apartments.

NCR Coventry Road - 80.jpg

Last edited:
We had this site before but on a Sunday with the shops shut if my memory serves we correct. This is High Street Aston in 1970. Lady viewing the cards offering items for sale - all the sweet jars lined up and the scale to weigh yourself and a little Midland Counties Ice cream sign, Butchers open for business with spot lights and old style telephone number and the striped blind to keep the sun off the goods.

30 High Street - Aston - 69.jpg

We have now moved to the Corner of Vauxhall Road 1969, I am sure if we turned around we would not recognise anything but I went past here a few years ago and it didn't seem much different. I think that is the wall of the pub on the left and is that the Co Bakery at the back?Corner of Vauxhall Road - 69.jpg

I have another of these ariel views ( cannot get the spelling right its either the motorbike or the washing powder)
There are a few distinguishing items - school bottom right , three roads running top to bottom and a road across the bottom third which seems to have a couple of flat type buildings - so where are we ? as usual its from a slide so no year or location.

EDIT: The location is Lozells check out Lyn's full description at #1,372 - thanks
Test335 1.jpg

Last edited:
A really large school, so probably infants and Juniors and seniors. I think there’s an annex to it above the main block. There’s, I think a church across the road, maybe a church school ?

The date looks to me around late 1950s/60s. There’s a block of low-level maisonettes/flats to the right of the second main road. Viv.

I have another of these ariel views ( cannot get the spelling right its either the motorbike or the washing powder)
There are a few distinguishing items - school bottom right , three roads running top to bottom and a road across the bottom third which seems to have a couple of flat type buildings - so where are we ? as usual its from a slide so no year or location.

View attachment 156192
hi steve chuffed to bits as i know the location...do you want me to tell you or leave it to run as a little mystery for others to solve...

lyn

hi steve chuffed to bits as i know the location...do you want me to tell you or leave it to run as a little mystery for others to solve...

lyn
Give it a bit longer but as you replied I think it gives it away a little (?) - I have an idea be good to see if we agree

well steve for members who may know my background it should be very easy:grinning: let it run for a while then i can more or less date it as well...if you like pm me with your guess

lyn

This is the NCR (National Cash Register) offices on the Coventry Road , modern building nothing special but is in fact 40 years old - time flies - couple of unremarkable vehicles representing Ford and Vauxhall.

View attachment 156186
Love this photo Steve. I used to operate an NCR in the sixties, when working for Benton & Stone Ltd. Office was so noisy Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings when preparing the wages. All you could hear was the clinkety clank of the machines but it was a great sound. Invoicing days were much quieter . Went over to Burroughs in the seventies, it was never quite the same. ..... Thanks for the memory. Regards

We have now moved to the Corner of Vauxhall Road 1969, I am sure if we turned around we would not recognise anything but I went past here a few years ago and it didn't seem much different. I think that is the wall of the pub on the left and is that the Co Bakery at the back?View attachment 156190
Another great photo for me Steve. Not far from where I lived. (Gopsal street. I know that one day a photo of Gopsal will turn up here, that is what I am wishing for). My school friends lived here. From memory the dairy was there too. Again, many thanks. Sue

We have now moved to the Corner of Vauxhall Road 1969, I am sure if we turned around we would not recognise anything but I went past here a few years ago and it didn't seem much different. I think that is the wall of the pub on the left and is that the Co Bakery at the back?View attachment 156190
It could be the back of the Tower pub??

On that piece of ground there used to be a large mobile van, cannot think of the name/type but guessing John would know if he saw a photo. Lol. Out of it was sold newspapers, sweets and cigarettes (I think). This is where I would collect my papers to do my paper round after school and Sunday morning. My memory isn’t 100% here but the owner may have had a shop as well. Think he also had a bookies at the end of Gopsal/Howe street. Saturday mornings I would also do an hour or so in the van. ... but this is the vivid part of it all, the baker would arrive with a tray of cakes and we would sell cream cakes too. I wish someone could read this post and help me out here. Happy times. Kind regards, Sue

Last edited:
Another great photo for me Steve. Not far from where I lived. (Gopsal street. I know that one day a photo of Gopsal will turn up here, that is what I am wishing for). My school friends lived here. From memory the dairy was there too. Again, many thanks. Sue
From my limited knowledge of the area the dairy was other side of the road next to the railway - you could see the bottles from the train!!

Last edited:

View attachment 156192
location for this great over head is

.lozells road running along the top of the photo off which comes lozells st the road running along at the end of lozells st is nursery road ..the school buildings you see in lozells st are lozells infants opposite that corner is the methodist church still there..the school building with the large playground is lozells sec mod for girls which i attended..playground was divided by a wall and over the wall was lozells juniors entered via clifford st i think.. coming down nursery road on the same side as the church are the maisonettes still there..opposite those you will see 2 other annexe building which we used for science and gardening..coming back to the large playground the newer building on the right is where i took shorthand and typing just above that you see an old house...this is where our mom who also went to lozells girls was taught housewifery on the left of the newer building were the toilet blocks.. and i even had the same headmistress as our mom..miss read who was there until the school was demolished the year after i left...very happy days in my minds eye i could draw every inch of the inside of that school thanks again steve..oh i have a friend who lived at the end of burbury st but this shot shows his house has been demolished he will know when this was so when i have found out i will edit this post giving a rough idea of its date

lyn

lyn

location for this great over head is

.lozells road running along the top of the photo off which comes lozells st the road running along at the end of lozells st is nursery road ..the school buildings you see in lozells st are lozells infants opposite that corner is the methodist church still there..the school building with the large playground is lozells sec mod for girls which i attended..playground was divided by a wall and over the wall was lozells juniors entered via clifford st i think.. coming down nursery road on the same side as the church are the maisonettes still there..opposite those you will see 2 other annexe building which we used for science and gardening..coming back to the large playground the newer building on the right is where i took shorthand and typing just above that you see an old house...this is where our mom who also went to lozells girls was taught housewifery on the left of the newer building were the toilet blocks.. and i even had the same headmistress as our mom..miss read who was there until the school was demolished the year after i left...very happy days in my minds eye i could draw every inch of the inside of that school thanks again steve..oh i have a friend who lived at the end of burbury st but this shot shows his house has been demolished he will know when this was so when i have found out i will edit this post giving a rough idea of its date

lyn

lyn
Crikey. Having been given a clue, and also having lived in Lozells for around 17 years; I looked long and hard at this photo, but still couldn’t get my bearings. A look at my trusty 1967 edition A-Z, followed by street view confirms it of course. I have no recollection of those maisonettes on Gerrard St between Burbury St and Carpenters rd tho’.

As we managed to strike lucky and make Lyn's day thought I would post another aerial view, as always these are slides with no date of location - clues school top right, lots of close or terrace and it may have been a Monday because of all the washing out. Top left distinctive corner building and in the middle is a building with ornamental brickwork.

Test283 1.jpg

Back