• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

sorry Steve, but that’s not a Commer, it’s from BMC, Type FG, and was at various times labelled as Austin, Morris or Leyland. On the truck type you could see that the doors to the cab were angled inwards giving the cab an odd shape, which was why they got the nickname “threepenny bit”.

Of course, you have to ask yourself what the annual inflation rate was if you could get 11.33% on savings certificates.

Last edited:

sorry Steve, but that’s not a Commer, it’s from BMC, Type FG, and was at various times labelled as Austin, Morris or Leyland. On the truck type you could see that the doors to the cab were angled inwards giving the cab an odd shape, which was why they got the nickname “threepenny bit”.

My error - entry edited with credit to you thanks

#1110 again

Looking at the picture, and going right to left, leaving the camera as it were, we have a carpet and floor coverings business, a dry cleaners, a café, kid’s clothes, and finally another shop that might be a shoe shop. Where, these days, would you find a collection of small business premises of that variety? They might struggle even to pay the rates, let alone trade.

This is apparently Lawley Street in 1980, we can see where the building was but not much else nice selection of corrugated sheets and an Allegro , Mini Clubman and a Chevette.
Noticed the end wall looks a bit shakey

View attachment 155609

Where are we on Lawley Street ? Looks like a public toilet and two telephone boxes on the left, also the road sign for Coventry, Warwick and Stratford on the left-hand side of the road.

Last edited:
Where are we on Lawley Street ? Looks like a public toilet and two telephone boxes on the left, also the road sign for Coventry and Warwick.
This is from the don't have a clue pile - pictures of walls with only a road name written on the back - I did warn people :grinning:

next we have 499 Lichfield Road, no year but presume mid seventies, I like the site off for the scrap yard, I am not sure if the Mini is going in or just escaped, MG on the right and the Gasometer in the background.

View attachment 155607
The wall on the left shows the address of what I think was C Woodall and Ernest E Woodall a company registered in 1954 and at 499, Lichfield Rd, Cuckoo Wharf.

(Woodall Transport (Birmingham) Ltd. Haulage Contractors.)

#1110 again

Looking at the picture, and going right to left, leaving the camera as it were, we have a carpet and floor coverings business, a dry cleaners, a café, kid’s clothes, and finally another shop that might be a shoe shop. Where, these days, would you find a collection of small business premises of that variety? They might struggle even to pay the rates, let alone trade.
These photographs were borrowed by a lady at BCU for her degree which was to do with Fonts and design of shop signs , there are so many and variety of signs which on one small street section are so varied

Where are we on Lawley Street ? Looks like a public toilet and two telephone boxes on the left, also the road sign for Coventry, Warwick and Stratford on the left-hand side of the road.
Hi Pedrocut, Lawley Street is my old patch, until 1968. Cannot get my bearings on this pic but maybe Garrison Lane end? Would appreciate help on this. Thank you. Sue

#1110 again

The small shops on Pershore Rd were featured in a TV (BBC I think) programme on budget day commenting how they were being successful during lock down by being flexible.

This is apparently Lawley Street in 1980, we can see where the building was but not much else nice selection of corrugated sheets and an Allegro , Mini Clubman and a Chevette.
Noticed the end wall looks a bit shakey

View attachment 155609
I think this may have been the 'Harvo' bakery building.
I have included two pictures I took in the eighties soon after the work for the inner ring road (A4540) commenced.
Lawleyst1.jpgLawleyst2.jpg

Hi Pedrocut, Lawley Street is my old patch, until 1968. Cannot get my bearings on this pic but maybe Garrison Lane end? Would appreciate help on this. Thank you. Sue
I have attached a couple of pics I took in the eighties.
One is looking directly at where 'Harvo' bread was, the other is looking towards Watery lane.
I have a couple of other pics of that area also.

I have attached a couple of pics I took in the eighties.
One is looking directly at where 'Harvo' bread was, the other is looking towards Watery lane.
I have a couple of other pics of that area also.
Thank you Bob. Had completely forgotten about Harvo.
Just to the left was Itchycoo park. (Garrison Lane Park) Went there as kids with our Kayli in a pop bottle and jam sandwiches, in the school holidays. Great memories. Vauxhall park was closer to our house in Gopsal Street but much better rides in Itchycoo. It was worth the walk. Any photos would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Sue

Thank you Bob. Had completely forgotten about Harvo.
Just to the left was Itchycoo park. (Garrison Lane Park) Went there as kids with our Kayli in a pop bottle and jam sandwiches, in the school holidays. Great memories. Vauxhall park was closer to our house in Gopsal Street but much better rides in Itchycoo. It was worth the walk. Any photos would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Sue
Sue, I lived in Gordon Street, almost opposite Garrison Lane Park, I never heard it called Itchycoo Park, although it has been mentioned on here before. I loved the fairs they held there...well except the waltzers!!
I had to walk down Lawley street to get to my school's swimming lessons at Woodcock Street baths. No direct bus route, and an awful route down Lawley Street!

#1056 180 School Rd, Hall Green.
Dares Estates in this area all had leaded windows & entrance doors. In fact I think at one time certain roads had preservation orders on them.
Arnold Shoe Repairs - in the 40's this was Wigglys, I was friends with their son Alan. The other shop names I remember were Gordons newsagents on the corner with Shirley Rd & Rambys (R Docker) next to the fish shop on Lulworth Rd corner.
John

Sue, I lived in Gordon Street, almost opposite Garrison Lane Park, I never heard it called Itchycoo Park, although it has been mentioned on here before. I loved the fairs they held there...well except the waltzers!!
I had to walk down Lawley street to get to my school's swimming lessons at Woodcock Street baths. No direct bus route, and an awful route down Lawley Street!
Imr3103, Must have been us foreigners who called it Itchycoo, how strange though, that you had never heard it called that and lived there. Woodcock Street, another haunt. Just up the road again from where I lived. Learnt to swim there. Remember getting crushed when queuing on a hot summers day. We had to walk everywhere didn't we, except to the playing fields at Belchers Lane. (From Bloomsbury Girls school to Nechells Green Road baths may have been the longest walk, in those school days, memory might differ on this).
Lawley Street, another important part of my early days. Friends lived there, route to primary school - Windsor Street, shops: Dawes, Porters and Ritas, where we used to save our pennies for Christmas chocolate. It is busier than ever now and unrecognisable and as we drive down it (pre lockdown), I still look across for the lockkeepers house and feel the nostalgia. Such happy times and I thank you for allowing me to go down memory lane. Kind regards Sue

This is Bradburys on Woodthorpe Road Kings Heath in 1979, proudly showing the new Opal Kadett. apparently established in 1904, its an agent for Aston Martin , also note behind the telephone pole the remains of an old sign.

View attachment 155605
It was only when I went to find the "now" image that I realised where this was. I have driven past (usually on my way home from a trip to the tip!) on a number of occasions but had not registered the name of the road.
Still a car sales place but seems much extended.

Attachments

• Woodthorpe Road KH - 2021.JPG
    Woodthorpe Road KH - 2021.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 18
Back