• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

I think the aerial photo in post 1071 is of the Holloway Head area. The lorry marked with what looks to be "CN"? on the side parked on Holloway Head itself near the junction of Marshall St.

yes maybe just a tad further up rob...think we can just see the edge of the cinema in steves original photo...same brickwork..nice building shame its another one lost

Another aerial view, as before, no idea of year or location - there are a few interesting shaped building for you to work on and a mix of old and new too, good luck

View attachment 155515
Brilliant photo of a long disappeared Birmingham. Obsession with cars and building the Inner Ring road was such a curse.
What's interesting is to note the juxtaposition of housing and factories and warehousing which provided valuable local employment.
The former may not have been of the high standards expected today but surely much better than the tower blocks which replaced them and certainly could easily have been vastly improved by refurbishment.

I think the aerial photo in post 1071 is of the Holloway Head area. The lorry marked with what looks to be "CN"? on the side parked on Holloway Head itself near the junction of Marshall St.
I wouldn't have worked this one out!

Attachments

• Screenshot (370).png
    Screenshot (370).png
    446.8 KB · Views: 22
Quick visit today - 40 Holyhead Road in 1975, nice Georgian style property, shame the lower windows dont have the little window panes. back end of a Vauxhall / Bedford van and two nice vehicles next door, I know one is a mini !!

View attachment 155561
Crypto Peerless supplied polishing compositions to the trade if I remember correctly, Peerless being a "colouring off" compo mainly used on Brass.

Hagley Court Hotel Hagley Road 1972 with a Ford Zephor, and Capri, with the varied roof line looks like it has been changed over the years.

View attachment 155565
Two views here - 2012 virtually the same as the 1972 view and then 2020 as it has become.

Attachments

• Hagley Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2012.JPG
    Hagley Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2012.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Hagley Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    Hagley Court Hotel Hagley Road - 2021.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
Quick visit today - 40 Holyhead Road in 1975, nice Georgian style property, shame the lower windows dont have the little window panes. back end of a Vauxhall / Bedford van and two nice vehicles next door, I know one is a mini !!

View attachment 155561

For many years since the 40s it was (adjoining New Inns) Ernest Dunn Estate agent. He died 1963.

and finally a location that has changed a bit over the years this is Ladywell Walk in 1980, a few cars and a couple of busses, nice Rover on the right. sorry for the quick visit .

View attachment 155566
A tricky one to locate. Lawrence Bros are listed at Pershore Street and this is the junction of Ladywell Walk and Pershore Street. Some parts of Ladywell Walk are not available as they are now pedestrianised.
If anyone knows any better please let me know.

Attachments

• Ladywell Walk - 2021.JPG
    Ladywell Walk - 2021.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 17
I tried phone books as well. If you look at the entry on the eroll for Edith Taylor there are always other names as well and I tried searching for them in the phone book but got nowhere.
have you got the picture of the building please pj burns
i used to live at 1138 pershore road and new the building before it was demolished as a green grossers then a secondhand shop until it was knocked down with the houses to follow next to the pavillion

Another view from the skies, again year and location unknow ( see below) but I feel the church is diagnostic of a location as is the building top right, enjoy.
Edit - I think I have it the church is St. Alban and St Patricks, corner of Conybere Street and Stanhope Street Highgate

Test214 1.jpg

Last edited:
I am afraid this is one of the "hoardings" Pershore Road in 1972, nice Bedford Van and a Cadburys Commer , I love the traditional shops - no multi national here.
Like the two signs - get cheesed off with an Ansells Bitterman - ironic !!

EDIT - Johnfromstaffs stated the Cadbury vehicle is from BMC not Commer - thanks John
Hoardings Pershore Road - 72 -2.jpg

Last edited:
Back