• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

where is this station road steve...ive lost myself

lyn
Wonderful photo looking at the back of what was the picture house. Does anyone remember Mrs Bennett's shop which was about half way down Station Road and who sold sweets, small toys, some general household products and, coming up to Nov 5th, fireworks? It was a little emporium packed into what would be a small room. When I looked a few months ago there is no evidence of the shop as it's now just become a house.

The little shop that you refer to StevenMc, did it used to have small packets of world stamps pinned to the entrance door? I bought most of my stamp collection from a shop on that side of the road. Paynes shoe repairers should have rung a bell with me as I lived in Acocks Green from about 1964 and must have passed that shop hundreds of times! Dave

Wonderful photo looking at the back of what was the picture house. Does anyone remember Mrs Bennett's shop which was about half way down Station Road and who sold sweets, small toys, some general household products and, coming up to Nov 5th, fireworks? It was a little emporium packed into what would be a small room. When I looked a few months ago there is no evidence of the shop as it's now just become a house.
Steven, In the 1967 Kellys's The Lunch Box Cafe is mentioned at No. 30
There is also a Mrs. Bennett at a Tobacconist's shop at No.4 but that would have been very near to Warwick Road. It would appear that there are several buildings before they start even numbering. (These included a repair garage in the 1970's)
I worked at Acocks Green Telephone Exchange also mentioned

bennetts 1967.PNG4 station road.PNG

Bennett's I believe is shown three shops from the opening to the Builders Yard, later a new extension to the Telephone Exchange with large car park, behind these 3 shops.

bennetts-station-road-1905.jpg

Last edited:
Nice picture of 1108 Warwick Road in 1970, Paynes shoe repairs with a bicycle propped up outside. Interesting shop next door with a Haig Whiskey sign and a neon advertising Wines from the wood. Shops with little bay windows upstairs and small attic windows. There also seems to be the remains of an advert hoarding - bit like a magic picture the more you stare at the bricks I am sure words appear !!

View attachment 160882
Random Mosaic finish to the whiskey shop. A bag for everything in the shoe repair shop .Starting with straw bags and back to school satchels and briefcases through to suitcases, vanity cases and handbags.

The little shop that you refer to StevenMc, did it used to have small packets of world stamps pinned to the entrance door? I bought most of my stamp collection from a shop on that side of the road. Paynes shoe repairers should have rung a bell with me as I lived in Acocks Green from about 1964 and must have passed that shop hundreds of times! Dave
I don't remember the stamps but then, we lived in station road between 1968 amd 1971, when I was aged 7-10, stamp-collecting wasn't something I was interested in.

Steven, In the 1967 Kellys's The Lunch Box Cafe is mentioned at No. 30
There is also a Mrs. Bennett at a Tobacconist's shop at No.4 but that would have been very near to Warwick Road. It would appear that there are several buildings before they start even numbering. (These included a repair garage in the 1970's)
I worked at Acocks Green Telephone Exchange also mentioned

View attachment 160899View attachment 160900

Bennett's I believe is shown three shops from the opening to the Builders Yard, later a new extension to the Telephone Exchange with large car park, behind these 3 shops.

View attachment 160901
What a wonderful photo, thanks. It is from a time when, I suspect, the fastest thing on the road was horses. And, yes, Rob, I am pretty certain that the first shop on the right was what became Bennetts. Beyond these three shops there appears to be more houses which must have been demolished for the telephone exchange which was there when we move to Station Road in 1968 and was extended at the rear. There was also a car repair place on the other side of the road just a bit further up, probably in that clearing you can see on the left of the picture.

I've attached a pdf of an image from Google of the same piece of road. Not as enticing.......
Doubt if I would walk down that road now. Thanks for the views & info Steven & RobT & Steve for the showing the original picture. Also a big thanks to Janice, without whom I would have missed that view altogether. It doesn't go unmissed Janice how much work you put into the Forum deciphering some of this views.

Thanks are not needed as I am enjoying tracking down some of the places. Learning, as I go, about parts of Birmingham I don't already know.
The thanks go to Steve for saving and now posting the images to remind us, in so many cases, what has gone.

Last edited:
Re post #2386 - permanent waving for men ? Didn’t know that was done until relatively recently - in fact until the arrival of Kevin Keegan on the scene ! Viv.

Edit - oops thought it was just a barber’s shop (ie the pole and the adverting in the window) But looking above, it looks like ladies and gents hairdressing. Suppose the ladies department was upstairs. Viv

Here's another photo of Acocks Green Station Road .... tagged 1956.

View attachment 160930
The early Rover P4 is quite easy to identify, but that little 1930s saloon is a real facer, it is certainly not an Austin Seven, shapes are all wrong. Morris Minor? No doubt it would have been swept away in the old car carnage caused by the “ten year test” introduced in 1960.

Last edited:
cracking photo steve...my neck o the woods...in shot to the right of the bartons you can just see the aston hipp jutting out..clear view of potters lane to the right of the bartons and to the left the high street..the flats to the left is inkerman house and the white building on the corner is either the paddock pub or the griffin...always get mixed up...

lyn
That's a great photo! Thanks. Also reminds me of the car park opposite the Elbow Room. Does anyone remember Albert Chapman who worked there and later owned the club?

hi richard to save going off topic on this thread you could always start a new one for the elbow room under our nightclubs section where you may get more of a reponse...just a thought oh and you can always put in the elbow room in the search box as something may have already been mentioned

lyn

I presume this is somewhere some of you know , Red House Inn - New John Street, a study in street furniture again, three colours of street lamps, a variety of styles, bollards, keep left sign, telegraph poles and a uniformed gent in the gateway. A bus stop sign attached to the lamppost to finish it off.

View attachment 156919
Hi Steve,

This is very exciting to see. I have very recently found out that my maternal great great grandfather was a licensed victualler. I’ve yet to confirm I have the right person but his name was Joseph Smith and I have found 1881 census entries linking a Joseph and Mary Smith to ‘Red House’ New John St West. Thrilled to find this picture.
Any clue as to the year It was taken?

Mel

Hi Steve,

This is very exciting to see. I have very recently found out that my maternal great great grandfather was a licensed victualler. I’ve yet to confirm I have the right person but his name was Joseph Smith and I have found 1881 census entries linking a Joseph and Mary Smith to ‘Red House’ New John St West. Thrilled to find this picture.
Any clue as to the year It was taken?

Mel
A very rough guess puts it mid to late 60's, but that is only a guesd

Doesn't time fly when you take your eye off the ball - haven't fallen out with you all, got into one of those " I'll upload some photos tomorrow" vibes and a few months have gone by!!
Anyway this is the West End Cinema, in Suffolk Street, nice few vehicles in front and Those Magnificent Men to fix the year, not sure of location but as its down hill I would say opposite side of the road to the Alex but further up?

Test423.jpg

Next we have the corner of Carrs Lane and ? ( I know it says Worcester Street Warehouse but I have been caught like that before!!) Wherever it is it bares no resemblance today. Interesting shop on the corner with the clothes airier in the window and a selection of electric fires. Nice selection of vehicles with a Morris Minor gathering ging on. Fine old warehouses with metal windows - as usual no idea of a year, but there is an advert for New Zealand Cheddar bottom right.

Test179 1.jpg

I will leave the location up to you but I feel it is Suffolk Street direction - it looks like Baskerville House at the top of the road, goods yard to the right and Police bottom right, nice selection of cars any guess on the year - Oh and the 1000th post to this section !! Thanks all.

View attachment 155396
An earlier picture with the West End on left and I think Matthew Boulton tech on right

This is another location which is at the start of a transformation before been totally rebuilt a few times, hovering above the end of Snow Hill Station looking south. Gaumont Cinema sat on its island and the shops under the island at the rear of Lewises have not been built yet ( Corporation Street goes straight across). The brown line of the underpasses and flyovers is just getting started and the smoke blackened buildings in the foreground have not been demolished or cleaned yet. If you look carefully in the background you can just make out the canal, rear left and the large signal box at Moor Street station.

Test213 1.jpg

I have included this picture as it has Suffolk Street leaving to the left and is recognisable but the more you look at the picture the more you see what is not there yet - no flats and what has now gone - the round church on the right St Catherines is now fronting onto Bristol Street and The Alexandra theatre has not got its Suffolk Street frontage yet.

Test205 1.jpg

Back