• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
William, I was not saying I thought that the ban was really necessary, or very likely to cause cancer, but the food authorities do tend sometimes to be extra cautious. This is especially after one dye, called butter yellow, which was once (up to 1930s) often used to colour margarine type products, was found to definitely cause cancer in rats.

William, I was not saying I thought that the ban was really necessary, or very likely to cause cancer, butdo tend sometimes to be extra cautious. This is especially after one dye, called butter yellow, which was once (up to 1930s) often used to colour margarine type products, was found to definitely cause cancer in rats.
some times the authorities go ott. "if in doubt of a item or not sure about it ban it" ....look at all the bods that was put under (in operations using Chloroform ,on a mask.)

William, I was not saying I thought that the ban was really necessary, or very likely to cause cancer, but the food authorities do tend sometimes to be extra cautious. This is especially after one dye, called butter yellow, which was once (up to 1930s) often used to colour margarine type products, was found to definitely cause cancer in rats.

Yes I know what you mean Mike, I remember watching Tomorrows World in the seventies where it was reported that a chemical Brown FK was being banned because of the same fear , the chemical was used to colour kippers .

It was Esso that had the slogan " Happy Motoring " if I remember correctly.
Remember the jingle for parrafin " with lower grades one buys smoke gets in your eyes " .
Then owning a key ring with the little mascot guy, modelled after a burning flame ?.
yer they sang. "the esso sign means happy motoring"

I still sing some of those TV adverts. We were so young and we were brainwashed by them. Lets face it TV was so new back then and it was so brilliant to even have a black and white TV and we even loved the ads.
One thousand and one cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.
The Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign.
Raelbrook, raelbrook the shirts for men.
Mackerson Mackerson the worlds favourite drink is a Mackerson...keep em happy give em a Mackerson
theres loads but cant remember more offhand

I still sing some of those TV adverts. We were so young and we were brainwashed by them. Lets face it TV was so new back then and it was so brilliant to even have a black and white TV and we even loved the ads.
One thousand and one cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.
The Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring, the Esso sign means happy motoring call at the Esso sign.
Raelbrook, raelbrook the shirts for men.
Mackerson Mackerson the worlds favourite drink is a Mackerson...keep em happy give em a Mackerson
theres loads but cant remember more offhand

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsoldent.
Pennyfarthing a mile and you'll travel in style, the Renault Dauphine.
Frosties, Tony the tiger says there Grrrrrrrrrrrreat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back