• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're never alone with a Strand ,buy a Castella for the price of a pint , Brew X1 specially brewed for the men of the midlands , Ansells bitterman ,John Collier John Collier the window to watch , Guinness , looks good , tastes good , and by golly it does you good , go to work on an egg, it's the fish John West reject that makes John West the best , Consulate cool as a mountain stream, Condorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsoldent.
Pennyfarthing a mile and you'll travel in style, the Renault Dauphine.
Frosties, Tony the tiger says there Grrrrrrrrrrrreat.
The Pepsodent advert was I believe the first TV ad to be shown. Now to really stretch your memories, and I do not know the answer, what comdian/singer/show, changed the punch line to ......when you brush your teeth with wet cement?
Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsJrwEe8fI

You're never alone with a Strand ,buy a Castella for the price of a pint , Brew X1 specially brewed for the men of the midlands , Ansells bitterman ,John Collier John Collier the window to watch , Guinness , looks good , tastes good , and by golly it does you good , go to work on an egg, it's the fish John West reject that makes John West the best , Consulate cool as a mountain stream, Condorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,
Bernard Miles said it looks good.tasts good

Last edited:
WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE DOOR YOUR POUNDS WORTH MORE AT WILLIAMS WHERE ELSE ! This was a very controversial advert for the furniture shop that was taken off TV after alot of complaints .I dont think many of the women complained it was more the men !!!

A Màrs a day helps you work rest and play
A English Mars bar are still the best chilled a little while, all though they have gotten smaller.
I special treat here in the US.

Murray Walker the F1 broadcaster wrote the saying be for his TV days.

The Pepsodent advert was I believe the first TV ad to be shown. Now to really stretch your memories, and I do not know the answer, what comdian/singer/show, changed the punch line to ......when you brush your teeth with wet cement?
Bob
I always thought that the first TV commercial was for Gibbs SR toothpaste but perhaps I'm wrong.

Hi guys
I recall the john collier add and the music,
The ryham of john collier, john collier the window to watch and Rachel brook toplin. The shirt you do not iron
The first real colour lively advert was the singing petrol tanks tops singing OH The Esso sign means Happy motoring
Call at the Esso signs early 1900 we used to peep through trowmans house bay windows always
On one of those great Indian hot summer school holidays they would spot us a gang of kids all little ones leading through the gag at the bottom of there window and we would all scarlet back up the terrace where we lived on Lichfield road
bless allan. for them memories

I was fortunate, apart from seeing an early 9" television in a relatives house in the Midlands in 1952 - in which I had no interest - I never watched television until the early 1960's when I was married and had my own home. ITV dd not commence in SW England until April, 1961. Most transmissions, apart from films were something new, even if black and white, no continual repetitive programmes foisted on us. As far as advertising was concerned I believe that in a half hour transmission something like two or three , two minute, adverting slots were allowed. Now you can prepare and cook a meal - well almost - during advertising! ITV is much contracted now, compared with its inception. SW England is served from Bristol, no local companies or stations anymore. It is my view that the current systems will eventually be replaced as more people are content with 24/7 movies.
Are the Netflix and other internet things full of advertising?

I always thought that the first TV commercial was for Gibbs SR toothpaste but perhaps I'm wrong.
Now you write that.......wait for it apology coming, plucking up the courage (me wrong never!!)....still on its way....sorry, yes you are correct it was Gibbs SR, Google it the actual advert is playable. Alexa, the tissues please.

Bob

I tell my wife I'm never wrong. I thought I was once but I was mistaken!
Well I was partly right, just got the wrong toothpaste (Feels slightly better about it) you see my wife always tells me I think I am right, but in reality it is only in the job I do, that I have all the answers, (hence my nickname, the guru). Lets face it chaps, we are always right, capable and willing to give of our knowledge and by heck this is the place we can give it as is so often proven and life improved after I stopped smoking Strand.

Bob

Well I was partly right, just got the wrong toothpaste (Feels slightly better about it) you see my wife always tells me I think I am right, but in reality it is only in the job I do, that I have all the answers, (hence my nickname, the guru). Lets face it chaps, we are always right, capable and willing to give of our knowledge and by heck this is the place we can give it as is so often proven and life improved after I stopped smoking Strand.

Bob
Bob I like your nickname. My kids think that my avatar describes my nickname :worried:

Bob
And started smoking the wacky baccy by the sound of it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back