• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Occupations That Have Faded Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morturn said:

A Putter

Those who fill the corves (strong osier baskets in which the coals are conveyed) and lead them from the hewers, on four-wheeled carriages called Trams, to the crane or shaft. The barrowman pulls before, and the putter putts or thrusts behind. In high seams, horses are used instead of menThe putters used to be divided into trams, headsmen, foals, and half-marrows. These were all boys or youths. Their employment consisted in pushing or draggingthe coal from the workings to the passages in which horses could be employed. Formerly the coal was conveyed by the putter in corves or tubs. Now small waggonscalled trams are generally employed. When a boy dragged or put a load by himself he also was designated a tram. When two boys of unequal age and strength assistedeach other, the elder was called a headsman and the younger a foal. The former usually received two-thirds of the amount earned jointly by the two. When two boysof about equal age and strength aided each other they were called half-marrows, and their earnings were equally divided. The introduction of metal plates andwaggons in place of corves, however, has almost done away with joint labours of this kind. Formerly the labour of the putter was of the most arduous description.Wilson describes it as having been "the most distressing slavery." "It was," he says, "generally performed by boys, in nine cases out of ten too weak for thepurpose, if even the materials had been better than they were over which the trams then passed. What must it have been when a beech-board was a godsend? And,more frequently, they had to drag their load over a fir-deal or the bare thill [the natural floor of the mine], the former too often split from constant wear,and the latter too soft to bear the load passing over it. Now the whole way is laid with metal plates, even up to the face of the workings, so that a man orlad may run the tram before him both out and in, the plates being so formed as to keep the tram in a right direction." It was customary at one time to employgirls and young women as putters. This disgraceful and demoralising practice, which continued in Scotland and some parts of England until it was prohibited bylaw in 1843, was abandoned in the county of Durham about the year 1790. Even before that date the custom was more prevalent in the Wear collieries than in those of the Tyne.

Drivers badge red and conductors green, you'd sometimes see a driver wearing both as many drivers started as conductors.
The older Female drivers here in Cornwall mostly started as conductresses and retrained as drivers when one man operation was introduced, not many left nowadays.
I started working at Summer Lane for West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive (WMPTE) in 1976, and after 2 or 3 jobs was promoted to PSV Licence Clerk in 1979. I held and was responsible for the PSV Licences for all 14 Birmingham bus garages including Sutton Coldfield (which previously belonged to Midland Red). In those days PSV Licences had to be renewed every three years, but they were in the process of changing them over to go onto a five year cycle. I used to have to catch two buses, up to the Traffic Commissioners in Broad Street to take the licences to be renewed, often with a bag of cash, or a large cheque. I also had to look after the renewal of all the Mechanics HGV Licences, so it was quite a busy job. Part of the role also entailed Safe Driving Awards, so we often used to attend the WMPTE Stadium nights. As the role, was starting to diminish due to the two year gap in the licence renewals, I was then sent out to work at Washwood Heath Garage from 1982 until 1992 where I worked for John Loach the Garage Engineer and when we were paired with Lea Hall, worked for the Garage Manager, Garage Engineer and Traffic Manager. I loved working on the buses, but was just a tad to young to become a part-time evening/weekend Clippie. The Clippies went out round about the time I got married in 1978, and a lot of them got office jobs as they couldn't drive. Our Summer Lane "postman/courier" Dennis, was previously a conductor at Coventry Road. The van driver courier at Lea Hall/Washwood Heath was Nora, another ex Clippie.

I started working at Summer Lane for West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive (WMPTE) in 1976, and after 2 or 3 jobs was promoted to PSV Licence Clerk in 1979. I held and was responsible for the PSV Licences for all 14 Birmingham bus garages including Sutton Coldfield (which previously belonged to Midland Red). In those days PSV Licences had to be renewed every three years, but they were in the process of changing them over to go onto a five year cycle. I used to have to catch two buses, up to the Traffic Commissioners in Broad Street to take the licences to be renewed, often with a bag of cash, or a large cheque. I also had to look after the renewal of all the Mechanics HGV Licences, so it was quite a busy job. Part of the role also entailed Safe Driving Awards, so we often used to attend the WMPTE Stadium nights. As the role, was starting to diminish due to the two year gap in the licence renewals, I was then sent out to work at Washwood Heath Garage from 1982 until 1992 where I worked for John Loach the Garage Engineer and when we were paired with Lea Hall, worked for the Garage Manager, Garage Engineer and Traffic Manager. I loved working on the buses, but was just a tad to young to become a part-time evening/weekend Clippie. The Clippies went out round about the time I got married in 1978, and a lot of them got office jobs as they couldn't drive. Our Summer Lane "postman/courier" Dennis, was previously a conductor at Coventry Road. The van driver courier at Lea Hall/Washwood Heath was Nora, another ex Clippie.
Very nice journey with buses and such!

wonderful memories glenys...how things have changed since we started working..i used to take parcels of jewellery down the key hill post office every day that was sent out for approval and also went to different trades in the jewellery quarter taking jewellery for repairs..be a a bit dodgy to that now and carrying bags of cash around

lyn

wonderful memories glenys...how things have changed since we started working..i used to take parcels of jewellery down the key hill post office every day that was sent out for approval and also went to different trades in the jewellery quarter taking jewellery for repairs..be a a bit dodgy to that now and carrying bags of cash around

lyn
I used to have to take the night safe to the bank that the cashiers had taken in the day. Women were not allowed to. I was not allowed to go on my own and it was often difficult to get someone from any department to go with me.
My mate took over from me and he took it on his own and got mugged. He must have been observed. He was then accused of pinching the money.

While doing a family tree recently I came across someone described on his gravestone as the last bell founder of Cullompton. Can't imagine there are many bell founders anymore.
Ironically I have birth family there too. Is that a bell maker? I went to school with a Margaret Bellchamber.

i wonder how much call there is for the job i trained for...shorthand typist/telephonist...not much i would think but i loved the work

lyn
I applied for a Secretary's job once but they said, you are a man, it is a woman's job. It was a higher rate than me too. But why not. I pointed out that Secretaries used to be men, I was refused an Admin job at the College of Midwifery too because I was a man, which started the interviewers arguing. At least I got an interview.

I used to have to take the night safe to the bank that the cashiers had taken in the day. Women were not allowed to. I was not allowed to go on my own and it was often difficult to get someone from any department to go with me.
My mate took over from me and he took it on his own and got mugged. He must have been observed. He was then accused of pinching the money.
Forgotten about that. I used to take the night safe to the bank on the corner of Hamstead and Villa Rds when I worked after school. Never thought too much about it. I would go on Thursday and Saturday nights.
I would wear my apron, usually covered in blood and put the night bag in the breast portion because I was riding my bike home.

We had like a big leather purse/wallet a bit sporran like and we wrapped it in a paper bag! and and you had to carry it under your arm. It was too big for a pocket. We put it in the bank wall like when you donate to a clothing bank and watch furtively if anyone was watching us.

The whole "Time and Motion Study" industry. Most big factories would have a Time and Motion Study department for working out piecework rates, in constant "negotiation" ( really shouting matches) with the unions. There would usually be the Time and Motion experts themselves who "rated" jobs and then clerks who totted up the job cards and machine records to work out how much people got paid.

The whole "Time and Motion Study" industry. Most big factories would have a Time and Motion Study department for working out piecework rates, in constant "negotiation" ( really shouting matches) with the unions. There would usually be the Time and Motion experts themselves who "rated" jobs and then clerks who totted up the job cards and machine records to work out how much people got paid.
MTM has evolved to support sequencing of production. Much MTM is used at the design stage developing and using design standards. Design for productivity, quality and cost. In most plants now, unions participate in the work but do not have the final say (maybe in UK). Sequencing is designed to optimize and fully utilize facility assets cost efficiently and productively.

We had those, they had us in seperately and covered an office wall with brown paper, then asked questions, the Time & Motion woman we nicknamed Lumpen Woman, wrote stuff on the wall, a Manager wrote her findings down which bore no resemblance to what anyone said. The Manager was promoted 100s of us got made redundant but Lumpen Woman was re employed permanently.They then emoyed a team of external Time & Motion people who sat behind & above us. Some staff walked out.

I remember at Cadburys they tried to evaluate time and motion into the offices and one of their minions was "following" the secretary of the Laboratory head . She considered herself a bit above the rest. She was asked what she was doing at one time - ""going to the toilet", so then "but you have already been there once this morning". It is a good job paper knives were no longer used in offices, else I think it might have been used for a more violent purpose .

Time and Study would come and time us doing certain jobs first thing you did was not to use air tools just good old fashioned muscle power to undo or free off bolts or nuts . Takes me back.
They employed a group of women once from a Time In Motion company from Scotland. They always wore black . They stripped out a whole line of management 3 who took pay cuts & became secretaries to the remaining Managers who went up a peg. So much for money saving. We called them the Scottish Widows

my dad was a founder in non ferrous metals metals (sand caster) in nechells
Bewdley Museum has a display and brasscasting office, but had to stop demonstrations of casting due to health and safety. Remember watching the men work there with hot metal many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back