• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oakfield Road, Cannon Hill

Solihull54

master brummie
Am hoping to track down relatives that might remember Lucy J. Taylor of 84 Oakfield Road, a friend of my grandmother Dorothy Louise Dry, nee Jefferies of 32 Forest Road, Moseley. I have a letter written by Lucy to Dorothy dated October 1908, so presume they were at Waverley school together as the letter was hidden inside a school book found when cleaning boxes after my dad died last year. Any info on the Cannon Hill area as it was back in 1908 or details on the family of even their old house much appreciated.

Lucy Jane Taylor is listed as a Council School Teacher on the 1911 census, so teacher to pupil maybe.

It appears she never married, born 1874 and died 1956.

I think the houses might still be the same as Forest Road is large old houses when I looked on streetview.
In 1908 Dorothy was 20 and Lucy 33. So they are unlikely to have been school friends.

Last edited:
Thanks for info, it's 80 not 84 but I ran the 1911 census and agree it must be a teacher student friendship if the ages are right and it's the same Lucy Taylor. I will take a drive to look at the houses after lockdown.

Attachments

• Worcestershire1911_17891_0477_3_0_0_6376_3744.jpg
    Worcestershire1911_17891_0477_3_0_0_6376_3744.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 6
It is 80 on 1911 but a Taylor (William - possibly the Father) is listed at 84 in the 1908 Kelly's directory.

It is 80 on 1911 but a Taylor (William - possibly the Father) is listed at 84 in the 1908 Kelly's directory.
Interesting as the letter I have from Dorothy Jefferies to Lucy Taylor is from 80 Oakfield Road Cannon Hill, dated 29/10/1908. I wonder if same family spread across 2 houses. It must have been a nice area back in those days near to Moseley on city outskirts.

Back