• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Oak Place, William Street, Ladywood

delwboy

proper brummie kid
I have this address for someone living there in 1931.

I can find William Street easily enough on census returns, electoral registers, etc, but no mention of Oak Place.

Has anyone heard of it?

You know there were two william sts, one in ladtwood and one in lozells?. The oak place one was in lozells. Originally the courts were named, but by 1889 they justb seemd to be listed on maps etc by there number, though the occupants will have called them by the name, as it will have been engraved at the end of the court.I have been able to say that it was one of two courts, nos 16 & 18, which are marked in red and blue on the c 1889 map. Can't limit it any further though

map_c_1889_william_st_showing_both_courts_that_could_be_oak_court.jpg

hi delwboy welcome to the forum. I have just looked at the old newspapers on-line and a search for Oak Place, William Street found a few mentions of it but as Mike - our forum map expert :adoration: has said in the post above the address was given as Lozells, parish of Aston.

However I have just found a mention of Oak Place in Ladywood, Ecclesiastical district St Marks, on this site which lists the 1861 census transcriptions
https://www.hunimex.net/warwick/freecens/1861/2131_street_index.html

If you click on the link for the full transcriptions 2131 - Oak Place seems to be near/off Icknield Street West.

Not sure if this is any help????

Last edited:
Both these replies are very helpful, thanks very much. The address I have states "4 Oak Place, William St, Ladywood, Birmingham", so on the face of it would be Ladywood, but I'll check out Lozells too.

The electoral roll for 1930 gives James, Elizabeth Florence and James Bevan as being at 4 court 31 william St, LADYWOOD

There is an excellent thread on this forum explaining about courts but I can't seem to find it at the moment so I will do my best to explain - courts were a courtyard/group of houses built behind the houses that faced a street. There could be a few courts along one street. To access a court there would be an alleyway in between the houses and *the address of the court was usually the number of the house that it was built behind/where the alley was -therefore I would say the court where the Bevans lived was behind house number 31 on William Street and 4 was the number of their house in the court. Hope this makes sense.

*Please note - The number of a court did not always correspond with the house it was behind - please see Mikes post #11 for explanation of Court numbers.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with David. Court 31 is marked in red on the map, though I could not say which was no 4

map_c_1913_court_31_william_st2C_ladywood_.jpg

#

Hi Mike - did I explain it right - is the court behind house number 31 on the street? I have looked again for the thread on courts but I can't find it :upset:

Hi Polly
Not Quite, at least not usually. I have found courts that were behind the house of the same number, but that is not usual and has usually been because it was the first court in the street. Court 31, mentioned above, is accessed between 147 & 149. It is best to assume that there is no relationship between the court number and the number of the house. It is made a bit more complicated because sometimes courts go up the street 1,2,3,4...., and at other times go odd number 1,3,5.. up one side and even the other, the numbering system for the courts sometimes being different to that used for the houses. (though this is probably because houses were renumbered in street, but court numbers were not).

Thank you for explaining that Mike :adoration: I will put a note on my post above to refer to your post for the correct explanation of court numbers.

I have now established, via census returns, that back of 147 William Street was in fact 'Oak Place'.

Thanks, I found two for William Street.

i didnt have time to go through the whole thread but the first william st pic i came to on post 88 is not the one in ladywood its the one in lozells...

lyn

Last edited:
Back